Read by Schine Semi-vague Lua Computer Suggestion

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Please don't limit the Lua interpreter in the game to just NPC's and other small stuffs. Forgive my crappy laid out suggestion, I'm doing 20 different things

Computer
    This is the most important block. much like ComputerCraft, it would provide a basic interface for the mechanic. Could use a basic GUI tool to allow the creation of custom GUI's (look at all the "os's" created for CC). Most of the functionality is implied here.

Innership remote
    Rather than a new block, addition to an existing one. You could have something like
    Code:
    GetLogicSignal("Landing Gear Toggle")
    SetLogicSignal("Landing Gear Toggle", true)
    This would probably require remotes needing unique names, but I don't see that screwing anybody because that's a sensible thing to be doing anyway.

Structure Variables
    These would only be variables that you can get, they would be things like
    structureName
    factionName
    currentPilot
    shields
    shieldCap
    power
    powerCap
    speed
    currentSector

and lots and lots more. basically, if it's a thing, I want it exposed to the computers ^_^

Transceiver
    2 sector range block that allows for communication between 2 or more computers on different structures. You could use this on the same structure, but why would you? Uses frequencies or broadcasts. Broadcasts could be usable for sending general messages and initiating communications and frequencies could be used for private communication. You would have to tell the computer which frequency to listen for, or it would default to a broadcast. Any computer could intercept communications if it somehow knew the frequency it was happening on.

Communication Line
    This would be the local, virtually uninterceptable communication between 2 or more computers on the same structure. Not sure how the actual linkage of the network would work, with having to either build physical networks out of blocks, or C/Ving nodes together, but you'd attach these blocks to a side of the computer and it would allow any computer within the network to communicate much in the same ways as the Transceiver, with broadcasts, or channels, but you would be unable to intercept anything unless you physically boarded the structure and placed your own computer into the network.

This is a very rough idea of what would be neat to have. this would allow much more compact and complicated systems on ships, such as huge lifts without needing binary decoders, or password doors, or automated landing bay control systems (with requesting permission prior wirelessly), or automated cargo management.

If it's possible with logic, it's possible in code, but smaller and less prone to being shot out.

(this is not about replacing the current logic, but enhancing it with code)

Last edited:

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Anything that reduces the amount of logic lines in my ships is a yes from me :P

A truly decent suggestion, though my only complaint with it is that it'd be pretty difficult to get the hang of... but then again, logic is the same, anyway :P

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Totally not happy that logic blocks are destructible in fights either.
    That's not really my issue with logic. the main issue is a lack of versatility. Once you get past simple things like doors, things get difficult and confusing very fast.

Reaction score
    That's not really my issue with logic. the main issue is a lack of versatility. Once you get past simple things like doors, things get difficult and confusing very fast.
    I understand more c++ code than i do redstone logic systems and I understand even less of starmades logic. So ya get me a if statement or while statement any day.

Reaction score
    I wouldn't be against this idea. As it is logic could really use some kind of usability upgrade. It would be nice to actually understand what I'm putting together. That's my issue with it.

Reaction score
    Please don't limit the Lua interpreter in the game to just NPC's and other small stuffs. Forgive my crappy laid out suggestion, I'm doing 20 different things

Computer
    This is the most important block. much like ComputerCraft, it would provide a basic interface for the mechanic. Could use a basic GUI tool to allow the creation of custom GUI's (look at all the "os's" created for CC). Most of the functionality is implied here.

Innership remote
    Rather than a new block, addition to an existing one. You could have something like
    Code:
    GetLogicSignal("Landing Gear Toggle")
    SetLogicSignal("Landing Gear Toggle", true)
    This would probably require remotes needing unique names, but I don't see that screwing anybody because that's a sensible thing to be doing anyway.

Structure Variables
    These would only be variables that you can get, they would be things like
    structureName
    factionName
    currentPilot
    shields
    shieldCap
    power
    powerCap
    speed
    currentSector

and lots and lots more. basically, if it's a thing, I want it exposed to the computers ^_^

Transceiver
    2 sector range block that allows for communication between 2 or more computers on different structures. You could use this on the same structure, but why would you? Uses frequencies or broadcasts. Broadcasts could be usable for sending general messages and initiating communications and frequencies could be used for private communication. You would have to tell the computer which frequency to listen for, or it would default to a broadcast. Any computer could intercept communications if it somehow knew the frequency it was happening on.

Communication Line
    This would be the local, virtually uninterceptable communication between 2 or more computers on the same structure. Not sure how the actual linkage of the network would work, with having to either build physical networks out of blocks, or C/Ving nodes together, but you'd attach these blocks to a side of the computer and it would allow any computer within the network to communicate much in the same ways as the Transceiver, with broadcasts, or channels, but you would be unable to intercept anything unless you physically boarded the structure and placed your own computer into the network.

This is a very rough idea of what would be neat to have. this would allow much more compact and complicated systems on ships, such as huge lifts without needing binary decoders, or password doors, or automated landing bay control systems (with requesting permission prior wirelessly), or automated cargo management.

If it's possible with logic, it's possible in code, but smaller and less prone to being shot out.

What about noncoders....

This could be the advanced cannon(FtD) of starmade I guess. Keep the old system but always have a better, newfagled system you could use thatwas more complicated but better or more diverse.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    What about noncoders....

This could be the advanced cannon(FtD) of starmade I guess. Keep the old system but always have a better, newfagled system you could use thatwas more complicated but better or more diverse.
    Lua is a dead simple language. Picking the basics of it up would be just as difficult as learning the current logic system.

Reaction score
    It is much easier to learn code by looking at someone elses than it is to read a wiki. Doing basic stuff isn't that hard.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I'm always happy to see more Lua suggestions, this one is no exception.

Before anyone objects, let's get this out of the way-

• Logic would not be removed or replaced. An in-between system of drag-and-drop nature is likely to satisfy anyone who insists on not learning to code. Player-made programs will benefit everyone, including non-programmers.
    • Running Lua scripts will not significantly tax servers.
    • Drag-and-drop systems or logic cannot match the versatility of actual code.
    Mentioning the communication blocks specifically is nice. I will insist that long-range communication should be completely unprotected. You want security, get cryptography.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    I'm always happy to see more Lua suggestions, this one is no exception.

Before anyone objects, let's get this out of the way-

• Logic would not be removed or replaced. An in-between system of drag-and-drop nature is likely to satisfy anyone who insists on not learning to code. Player-made programs will benefit everyone, including non-programmers.
    • Running Lua scripts will not significantly tax servers.
    • Drag-and-drop systems or logic cannot match the versatility of actual code.
    Mentioning the communication blocks specifically is nice. I will insist that long-range communication should be completely unprotected. You want security, get cryptography.
    the reason I mentioned the 2 sec range is specifically for long range comms. Specific com stations every few sector anyone? :D

Reaction score
    the reason I mentioned the 2 sec range is specifically for long range comms. Specific com stations every few sector anyone? :D
    Every two sectors, no. Every few systems? Maybe, but range needs to be configurable. Infrastructure is nice to have, but with comm links required every two sectors, I'd call it tedious micromanagement at best, littering at worst, and any way I look at it definitely not fun.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Indeed, two sectors is.... overdoing it. This area has a lot of potential, though. Short-range transmitters, ultra-long-range transmitters for scout ships, transmitters through warp gates, long-range antenna stations, etc.

Reaction score
    I like the communications idea. Lua is beyond my abilities (I'm not a coder), and it seems a little off where this game is going, but Idk all of it, so yeah, sounds good.
    For communications ... your range needs to be configurable, most certainly. One relay in every system wouldn't overdo it. And if you can set general relays to be a nice guy and relay others' signals (without intercepting them, although this setup would be the first step in doing so) across your system, that's great. And as for where it must be placed in this system ... anywhere does it. It just needs to be in the system basically anywhere.

For a sub-module kind of thing, communicators can be a separate block. Basically, a display block, but whatever you type, you can then hit a logic button connected to it to send it on the frequency you've selected at the top. Doubles as a display mod because the text is visible from outside until it is sent or deleted. That way, if Schema doesn't want all the computers and other functions, at least we get an RP-friendly addition to simple chat. And I think it'd be fun to use for stats or whatnot that you need to give them.

Reaction score
    Not being familiar with Lua, I wonder if this wouldn't be too far a departure from how things are already done in game. I don't think a ton of players will jump ship over an idea that ultimately improves the game, but there will be a frustration with changing a core mechanic so drastically.

Also, how do you think a game with lag issues would handle streams of more complex code? Or is this code actually less painful to process than logic, in your opinion?

The idea of handling complex functions with a single programmable block is far more appealing than devoting a small ship's worth of space to handle the functions for a whole mothership or station (not to mention the relays to hide the logic lines).

I don't like playing the role of the naysayer - especially in Starmade, as they have made some pretty drastic improvements - but on the surface this seems like it would add to current issues in performance with only a marginal functionality gain. That, of course, is said without knowing much of anything about Lua.

On the other hand - the potential I see for expanding the functionality of my fleets and drones is pretty awesome.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I think AndyP would have something to say about this. I am not sure where our stance is on lua scripting and whatnot as I have heard it confirmed and denied from team members. I will archive the suggestion, but I have no clear answer to give myself.