"Sell" Ship Option

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Why don't we have this option?

We can buy ships from the catalog but the only ways for us to get rid of a ship we no longer need/ don't like is to either dismantle it or core it.

Now i understand that dismantling a ship is good but what if you don't have the space to hold all those blocks or just don't feel like take a ship apart. Whenever i destroy a bunch of pirates its actually more of a pain to dismantle each ship individually than to just kill um and grab their loot.

also what if you have a giant ship and you want to buy another giant ship to replace the old one. the only way to get rid of the old one is to take it apart or destroy it.

Selling ships should be a fast and easy (maybe later an alternative to mining and crafting) way to make money/get your money back.

It would work by adding an option in the catalog menu on the personal tab called "Sell Current". You would have to be inside the core of the ship in order for this to work. After you agree to sell then you are booted out of the core and the ship disappears instantly. From there you are given the relative credit value of the blocks use in that ship (subject to dynamic shop prices).

alternatively this could also add a new layer of gameplay as instead of destroying your enemies you could capture their ships for profit or maybe later quests

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I allways thought it was strange that this wasn't in the game, i would imagine its a fairly easy thing to implement.
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong on that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Would this be avalible anywhere, or just near shops? Would damaged blocks yield full value?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Would this be avalible anywhere, or just near shops? Would damaged blocks yield full value?
    would be best if it were done near shops. seems op and weird to be able to sell things from anywhere

with the current system, it would still count as a full block. I've always wanted blocks damaged beyond a certain point to count as not a block and salvaging them yields nothing or at the very least the components. this would necessitate the Repair of ships using the astro technician rather than just removing and replacing the block like how it is now

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Even as simple as disassembling the ship and selling to the nearby shop at default rate (should only be done at a shop). Anything over shop stock limit could be destroyed (not put into shop inventory) and paid 1/2 rate if it has the credits. I could be as simple as you press SELL and the shop gives you a credit 'offer' (based on above calculation) you can accept or re

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I must disagree with this, for the same reason I'm against blueprints-
    it replaces infrastructure and supply with a cheap and arbitrary mechanic that basically consists of a few magical spheres scattered randomly throughout the universe where this happen out of nowhere due to a transfer of the abundant toilet paper we refer to as credits.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I must disagree with this, for the same reason I'm against blueprints-
    it replaces infrastructure and supply with a cheap and arbitrary mechanic that basically consists of a few magical spheres scattered randomly throughout the universe where this happen out of nowhere due to a transfer of the abundant toilet paper we refer to as credits.
    that Toilet Paper will be made of gold when the item stack limits, build block nerf, and FTL is implemented. a way to get rid of a ship that doesn't require you to take it a part or destroy it can't exactly hurt the economy.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Exactly. Why shouldn't you have to dismantle it? Infrastructure and equippment should be required for building ships, as should it for dismantling them.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Exactly. Why shouldn't you have to dismantle it? Infrastructure and equippment should be required for building ships, as should it for dismantling them.
    im not entirely sure what you're getting at. Are u talking about shipyards? those have been suggested to death.

I'm talking about selling entire ships to the trading guild as a faster way of getting credits as opposed to taking it a part and selling each individual block off.

if you want realism then your not going to find it here.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I'm not talking about anything in particular. Shipyards, salvage arrays, doesn't matter. My point is, this game has enough instant-service functions from shops, most of which are officially placeholder features, and implementing even more won't do this game any good.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I'm not talking about anything in particular. Shipyards, salvage arrays, doesn't matter. My point is, this game has enough instant-service functions from shops, most of which are officially placeholder features, and implementing even more won't do this game any good.
    ok i understand now.

while you are right I think that down playing the importance of shops as a ship generator is the best thing we can hope for. Being able to insta Generate a ship doesn't have to be totally broken even in a survival setting. say u just died and your spawn wasn't set at your station or maybe your home base was destroyed (a real possibility after the faction update) and u appear at a shop and have nothing but cash. u could buy the essential blocks to get a basic ship going but i would much rather open up the catalog select a ship and generate it instantly.

Now heres where my fix comes in. Add a "Construction Fee" to buying ships from the trading guild. This acts like a tax and adds a configurable price increase on ships. The idea is that its expensive as hell to buy a ship from the trading guild rather than to build one yourself for considerably cheap but if you have no alternatives then why not. the way i look at it is like coffee. I could make my own coffee at home for little to no cost or i could get one immediately but at a price. You can still steer players toward making their own shipyards while also maintaining the previous systems quirks

also I've always supported a kind of "shipwrecked grant" for players that are completely destitute. new players that spend everything on their first ship but 10 mins in they get murdered by pirates will respawn with nothing. worse case scenario is the shop completely out of ship cores/ vital system blocks u need to get back out there and/or you have no money left to buy them. in this case it would be great for the shop to have mercy on you and grant you a free ship core if you meet certain conditions.
    1. you were just killed
    2. you have no money/ not enough to purchase a core/no cores available
    3. you do not have a spare core in your inventory
    if these conditions are met then the shop will give you a spare core so you can at the very least fly out there

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Agree, but it should instead give you blocks of the ship.

It should spawn a small stationary cargo box containing all these blocks in infinite-space PlexStores. This box could have a limited life-time and only able to give, not take items.

Alternatively this option could only be available if a nearby shipyard or shop has enough space to contain all ship's blocks.

You can access them without having to worry about things that don't fit into your inventory, but you can't move without a proper cargo-ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    you need building stations to build ships this has been suggested a lot of times before. if you can sell ships that would be good, maybe you have to sell the ship at certain shops or a main giant ship

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Being able to buy a 1/2 sized ship at some station and 1/24 or 1/32 sized fighter for some carrier ship's dock is a good idea.
    (remember that 1/32 size can mean 1/8*1/32= 1/256 mass! 1/24*1/8 = 1/192)

But buying 1/2 sized ship on a station AND in a carrier would render stations obsolete.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Agree, but it should instead give you blocks of the ship.
    kind of defeats my main point of selling it if your just going to get the blocks back. perhaps there could be a server config for this but in general I want to be able to exchange a unwanted ship for credits. atm credits are worthless as a currency but in time when the economy balances out i hope this mechanic will add a new layer to game play as player could consider capturing a ship and selling it rather than just blowing it up

perhaps the trade guild could give a bonus for intact/or as close to intact former pirate ships that you sell them.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    perhaps the trade guild could give a bonus for intact/or as close to intact former pirate ships that you sell them.
    you mean a bounty for intact pirates-spawned ships?

I think it would not defeat all purposes as blocks can be used to spawn new ships or save you the time to salvage single spaced-out blocks of a ship.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    you mean a bounty for intact pirates-spawned ships?

I think it would not defeat all purposes as blocks can be used to spawn new ships or save you the time to salvage single spaced-out blocks of a ship.
    yup. a kind of reward. perhaps in the future when the quest system is in we might have "Capture this ship" type missions and will lay the ground work for it by teaching players that they get a reward for being able to disable a ship without doing much damage to it.

but thats the thing. I did not intend this to be a "Dump ship here and we salvage the blocks for you" but a "give us a ship and we give you money" kind of thing. of course there could always be a server config for it so it could be both ways

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    I see this idea has popped up in the feature list on the DEV calender.... I really hope that it is something that can be turned "off" via the server config. I would like to see a feature like this added to a fully developed shop, ships yard and Trade system rather then just tossed in there.

At this stage of the game it just adds to the cash grab. Items people can't sell to shops due to shop stack limits will just get strapped to a ship core and sold. People wont even need to go around looking for different shops to sell stuff at.

Before we see something like this I would really like to see some basic NPC and player shop functionality.

We did get the "trade for block" feature for the Player shops a little while back, but without a basic search function navigating through the 300+ list of blocks that are in **NO ORDER WHATSOEVER :eek:** its a little ridiculous.

Overall Idea: Very Good =D

Should it happen now?: Only if then game is going into a "creative only mode" state of development.

Reaction score
    I wouldn't find flying around hundreds of shops trying to sell off 300K mass worth of blocks before the arbitrary time limit on a cargo box runs out 'fun'.

I'm all for the OP's idea, although for some added fun you might have a 'haggle' feature - trying to get the best price for your ship whilst the 'Shop AI' tries to get the best value. Putting in an unreasonably high number might make the Shop AI tell you to go someplace else.

Back when I used to play on the NASS server, I practically lived off of finding derelicts so I could break them up and sell the parts. I'd much rather sell salvaged ships whole.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Adding to this idea;
    Instead of dismantling the ship you're selling, why not change it's faction to the faction you're selling it to, this way you could sell built ships to other factions. It will also allow you to sell your ship, and then try to take it back. which of course, if it's a rather powerful ship, will be extremely risky and fun.

Method:
    1. Find a shop and exit the ship.
    2. Leave ship dimensions (while still staying in range of it, much like the shop's range).
    3. F-target the ship you're selling.
    4. Sell to the shop (with price bartering, all those shiny bits)
    5. Confirm sale and enjoy your new credits.

Of course, depending on the size and power of the ship you could have a 'Labour cost' meaning a ship you spent time building will sell for a greater amount than the sum of it's raw materials.