self destructing power capacitors and thrusters

Reaction score
    So i had this great idea while reading a missile ammunition suggestion thread.

Exploding supercapacitors. Capable of one time overcharging a weapon or other power consuming utility, destroying itself and/or the system attached in a small explosion.
    These capacitors carry 2* a normal capacitors capacity, same per block increase formula. When used it makes the system attached act like a larger system that would normally consume the output power.

if the capacitors are part of a large ship it can be integrated into system directly or docked. The explosion should not be powerful enough to punch through advanced armor, so that it can be used as a sort of shell casing. Standard armor should be totally destroyed so that it can be used for disposable weapons such as AI guided ship/missiles.-Also im suggesting "Missile" AI option for bobby AI units-

when attached to a system it requires a 3/1 ratio of capacitors to modules for maximum efficiency, however it will destroy all modules and attached controller along with the capacitors. A 3/2 ratio will not burn out the modules.

They could be used in pair with rail enhancers to move a docked entity much faster than originally possible; Think aircraft carrier launching fighters; Or a rail fired bomb; Or quickly shutting grabbers attached to a ship.

I also suggest two new types of rail components, one is for activating any destructible capacitors on the docked entity to be used by the entity(exe, a chambered bullet that is fully self contained.) The other is linked to a weapon computer and activates destructible capacitors on docked entity and redirect its power to the linked weapon computers module group. This would allow for ammo belts or chambers inside of a ship that can be replaced at shipyards or at home base.

Yup, what he's saying amounts to a super alpha strike weapon, one that doesn't need to be used afterwards anyway.

Big alpha strike shield breaker, big alpha strike missile strike, and bam, you win and all you have to do is replace some weapon modules instead of risking your entire ship.
    Yes it would be quite op when used in weapon groups, however i think if they are restrained a rare resource then a few things happen; people won't be so eager to fire off the big guns until they are needed, players would now have a reason to stealthily board a ship and sabotage the large weapon before or during battle, And give players a resource to fight over.

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Its basically nothing but a different form of ammunition.

Reaction score
    Krade said:
    A 3/2 ratio will not burn out the modules
    Not only is it a "different" form of ammunition, but it is a bad form, seeing as how a 3/2 ratio results in the core concept (these "super" blocks self destruct on use) not working.

That's a built-in loophole.

It is slightly worse, in that he has suggested absolutely no method of controlling when these super-capacitors would be used, which leaves me to conclude that they would be used on the very first shot. Thus, rendering the weapon utterly useless, per the atatement of "destroying itself and/or the system attached in a small explosion".

Yes, Warhead-based "cloaker pokers" and "torpedoes" have the same general problem of their "main" weapon going *poof* after each use, but those "pokers" are ridiculous special circumstances anyway (show a vid of a player in the base attacked by one of those that doesn't immediately fire-off a scan to bork the cloaker. You can't, because they're only good against AI, and so no-one uses them on an inhabited base), and Torpedoes are typically designed as one-use disposable ordnance. (one that, typically requires the config be changed away from vanilla settings to render truly usefull.)

And then he claims it could be built as a docked entity? Man, seems he wants docked reactors back, and is willing to try and take "ammuniton" suggestions down with his allready sunken ship.

Oh, and trying to work in a boosting from Rail enhancers? I'm beginning to think Krade was on a bad acid trip when he posted his suggestion.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yup, what he's saying amounts to a super alpha strike weapon, one that doesn't need to be used afterwards anyway.

Big alpha strike shield breaker, big alpha strike missile strike, and bam, you win and all you have to do is replace some weapon modules instead of risking your entire ship.

Reaction score
    I apologise for posing this incomplete idea, i fell asleep halfway through writing it and somehow posted. I will go back now and finish this post and clarify some of the points.
    [doublepost=1483581567,1483579480][/doublepost]
    Not only is it a "different" form of ammunition, but it is a bad form, seeing as how a 3/2 ratio results in the core concept (these "super" blocks self destruct on use) not working.

That's a built-in loophole.
    You seem to have misunderstood, so i will use an example. A ship has a siege cannon turret, there are 32 exploding capacitors and 16 cannon barrels; because this is a 3/2 ratio the cannon barrels are not destroyed when the capacitors are activated (via logic or control computer)
    example 2; A docked missile is fired into the side of an enemy ship, the payload is 32 capacitors and 8 damage pulse modules, in this 3/1 ratio, all of the blocks both capacitors and pulse modules are destroyed.

All of the best ideas come from acid or other like drugs, but i was regrettably not influenced the them when i had this idea.

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You seem to have misunderstood, so i will use an example. A ship has a siege cannon turret, there are 32 exploding capacitors and 16 cannon barrels; because this is a 3/2 ratio the cannon barrels are not destroyed when the capacitors are activated (via logic or control computer)
    example 2; A docked missile is fired into the side of an enemy ship, the payload is 32 capacitors and 8 damage pulse modules, in this 3/1 ratio, all of the blocks both capacitors and pulse modules are destroyed.

All of the best ideas come from acid or other like drugs, but i was regrettably not influenced the them when i had this idea.
    1) We have a system for increasing the base damage of a weapon, its Overdrive. If the shots that don't self destruct the system aren't as powerful as Overdrive, they're not worth using. If they're as strong as Overdrive, they're redundant. If they're stronger than Overdrive, then you've just made Overdrive pointless and hence its OP.

2) When you get to the point where you are destroying the modules, all you've done is made a one shot weapon. If its powerful enough to be worth using, then people will have no qualms about packing it onto say a Beam/Pulse/Ion alpha strike weapon to totally obliterate the target's shields. That the system burns itself out after that doesn't matter, because unless things go very very wrong, they aren't going to be using that system again that fight anyway. Same for a large alpha strike missile. If it has to be used multiple times, something has already gone very wrong, so the fact it only has one shot doesn't matter, you only need one shot with it.

What this would do is create a meta where other weapons don't matter. It will all be about who fires their self destructing super weapons first.

One hit kills are VERY bad for the metagame.