Selecting the Ideal System for a Faction Base

Reaction score
    Hi all!

Where would you point a noob for selecting an 'ideal' system to start a faction on survival, or multiplayer?

Given the current unreliability of planets, my assumption is that 'many asteroid belts' and 'away from other factions' would play into it.

Because of this, and because I have a lower end PC, I've been looking for lone stars or small clusters on the outer rim of the galaxy, and think ideally a home base would be near a shop and near an asteroid belt and away from a pirate station.

What things do you put into consideration when selecting 'home', if you just started on a fresh survival server, or an existing multiplayer server?

When you have your base established, what do you consider essential things to build immediately?

Are there any player designed stations that include a sort of walk through tutorial ? I've played through the tutorial before, but it left things to be desired.

Reaction score
    Hi all!

Where would you point a noob for selecting an 'ideal' system to start a faction on survival, or multiplayer?

Given the current unreliability of planets, my assumption is that 'many asteroid belts' and 'away from other factions' would play into it.

Because of this, and because I have a lower end PC, I've been looking for lone stars or small clusters on the outer rim of the galaxy, and think ideally a home base would be near a shop and near an asteroid belt and away from a pirate station.

What things do you put into consideration when selecting 'home', if you just started on a fresh survival server, or an existing multiplayer server?

When you have your base established, what do you consider essential things to build immediately?

Are there any player designed stations that include a sort of walk through tutorial ? I've played through the tutorial before, but it left things to be desired.
    Something else to look for is a tilted system so you have asteroid belts that go in the very corners, some types of asteroids only spawn so far out from the sun in a system. For starting a new HB I would recommend buying 2-5 of every factory, a good 100 reactors, 64(for a 4by4by4 cube) capacitors, 150 factory enhancers, and a bunch of cargo blocks. As well as some basic hull you have from spawning to build out from.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    With the Asteroid update Planets are no longer the main source of ores. In fact Asteroids are so nice and lag free that i have given up on most planet mining. A system with many Asteroid belts at various distances from the star is the best. It doesn't matter if the system is tilted or not. The different Asteroids spawn at various distances from the central star.

Black and Red asteroids spawn in belts close to the star. Green, Yellow and Orange somewhat in the middle of a system. White and Blue mostly spawn in belts far from the star.

Look for yellow lines on the map once you scanned or traveled thru a system. If you enable orbital sectors then the asteroids are in the yellow boxes. This is also the place to look for still unidentified shops. As shops have a higher spawn rate in Asteroid belts. They are only revealed on the map if you been in or near the sector they are in.

One of my bases on the Dabbleam server is even in a system that only has Asteroid belts.

After you settled a base make sure to put up some turrets. They do not have to be strong. They will distract any pirates and prevent that you get camped in should they attack.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Something else to look for is a tilted system so you have asteroid belts that go in the very corners, some types of asteroids only spawn so far out from the sun in a system.
    FYI, thats no longer a concern. Rammet got fixed a while back, the blue asteroids are plentiful in all systems with outter reach bands. No need to look for those tilted systems anymore.

Reactions: WitherFireGaming
    Reaction score
    I've had the game for 2 years but still don't really understand factories and refineries. Or Logic at all.

It would be really user friendly if there was a 'tutorial ship' or server or something set up that had various missions to complete. Especially so if you started planet side, or maybe in a derilict ship or stations, and you salvage and repurpose and then go from there.

Reaction score
    Pick one that's a colour that you can stand looking at for hours on end :P

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've had the game for 2 years but still don't really understand factories and refineries. Or Logic at all.

It would be really user friendly if there was a 'tutorial ship' or server or something set up that had various missions to complete. Especially so if you started planet side, or maybe in a derilict ship or stations, and you salvage and repurpose and then go from there.
    I would recommend not just watching Bench's logic tutorial videos, but actually building what he builds. It starts simple and moves on to more complex stuff. I consider Logic building to be like any other form of programming, and sometimes, to learn it, you just have to do it and make it work exactly like you are shown, before you can understand what is happening. The core of factories and logic is block connections, and these tutorial videos will take you through it, step by step.

Alternatively, you can join public servers, and there is a good chance that you would eventually find an experienced player who will be willing to coach you.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I look for three things in a home system.
    First, a good spread of asteroid orbits. Not having to jump between systems cuts a bit of time off of mining trips, so look for one which has more than one asteroid orbit. The ideal one has one smallish medium and one largish medium asteroid ring which combined spawn all types of asteroid.
    Second, A skybox you don't mind staring at for eternity. I prefer darker hues of blue and other somber colors.
    Third, proximity to factions. Eases trading between factions and gives you access to NPC factions for additional supplies.

Reaction score
    When finding a base location, I try to look for a system that:
    • Relatively far away from spawn (fewer players, less depleted resources, less concern of NPC expansion), but still in a main galaxy so I have access to other systems.
    • System has several planets, in case you want to build a base on one.
    • Star is aesthetically pleasing (big enough for light, but not blinding.)
    • Good spread of asteroid orbits (or near systems with them.)
    • Pretty procedural nebula background.
    • Near a black hole and/or wormhole (good for fast movement and quick getaways.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    When your plan is to wipe all life out of the universe, it doesn't really matter where you start...Muah ha ha ha h ack cough cough.