Seeing cloaked ships while cloaked

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I believe this idea could compliment an idea posted by Benevolent27.
    /admin_sight - Allow admins to see cloaked and radarjammed ships

The idea is to allow cloaked ships to be visible, but with a translucent transparency.

The translucence could be fixed or variable.
    Fixed at 0% for onboard crew, 75% for enemies, 50% for factions & allies and maybe 85%-90% for neutrals.
    variable could be based on friend/foe, distance, mass, power or other mystical reason maybe

Using the existing scanner mechanic that exposes cloaked ships by dropping their cloak could instead show you the ships, based on the same or similar rules around the power of the cloak or whatever.

Benefits of the transluscence would be you can see your faction ships while cloaked and perform regular tasks like in-flight docking etc with/without cloaked ships. Risk though would be mass affecting the cloak of the ship being docked to, but thems the breaks.

Reactions: Coyote27
    Reaction score
    The idea is to allow cloaked ships to be visible, but with a translucent transparency.

The translucence could be fixed or variable.
    Fixed at 0% for onboard crew, 75% for enemies, 50% for factions & allies and maybe 85%-90% for neutrals.
    variable could be based on friend/foe, distance, mass, power or other mystical reason maybe
    the only thing i can agree to is that cloaked ships should be 100% visible for the crew ( if inside or just aligned to the ship)
    the rest symply makes scanners pointless because everyone would just use cloakers...
    Using the existing scanner mechanic that exposes cloaked ships by dropping their cloak could instead show you the ships, based on the same or similar rules around the power of the cloak or whatever.
    the "existing" scanner mechanic you describe is in fact the "old" scanner mechanic.
    the new scanner mechanic does not drop the cloak of any ship. it just makes it semitransparent visible for the scanning ship only. and thats already based on strenght values of cloak and schanners by chamber upgrades.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    What I would like to see is the ability to see allied ships and your own faction's ships, but as semi-translucent. The setting for this might be a setting configurable on the cloaker itself, such as "allow allies to see this ship when cloaked". Or "allow faction members to see this ship when cloaked". Or if the ship has faction block set to "personal", then an additional option "Only allow myself to see this ship when cloaked." The ship then shows as semi-translucent to whoever is able to see it. Enemies, however, will still not be able to see it at all unless they use a scanner on it. (old system or new)

Reactions: Coyote27
    Reaction score
    Yes, definitely an issue that should be addressed. Ships or vehicles customized to be near to or as invisible as possible to the human eye aren't invisible on the inside, usually its related to technology used on the external framework of these vessels. As such, it should not be the case, as it is, that your ship is literally invisible to everyone, including yourself inside the ship.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    your ship is literally invisible to everyone, including yourself inside the ship.
    This has always irked me, because you can see the ship in build mode. So it should be possible to make it visible to aligned players at the very least, but I would prefer only visible inside the ship. I guess the whole thing is a texture management issue. If this is the case, then the issue could be transferred to a generated skin or bubble, that's generated around the ship. Perhaps the textures of those mystical cloaking blocks could control the visibility of the ship.

I don't know. I'm just talking out my butt.
    Hopefully you know what I mean.

Reaction score
    I guess the whole thing is a texture management issue. If this is the case, then the issue could be transferred to a generated skin or bubble, that's generated around the ship. Perhaps the textures of those mystical cloaking blocks could control the visibility of the ship.
    Why not use the same mechanic that creates the translucent ships in the shipyard designer thingamajig, since that's already there in the game?

Reactions: Lone_Puppy

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Why not use the same mechanic that creates the translucent ships in the shipyard designer thingamajig, since that's already there in the game?
    Translucence for blocks already exists in-game, it just isn't used much. You can see it when you do a copy/paste.