Schine's To Do List:

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    So here's some much more useful things the community could use in-game during the next year or so... you know... instead of wasting time on an unpopular power overhaul...

- fix factions - e.g. - encourage larger memberships and less 1-manning.
    - correctly parse all the config files so we can understand and effectively mod them
    - mod support in general
    - more server admin support & tools
    -- especially... easier ways for servers to update themselves and clean entities
    - better custom texture / block support
    - more block IDs
    - shipyard fixes
    - optimization, optimization, and more optimization
    -- LODs
    - try bringing back cookie planets or at least give servers the option to choose which planet type
    - fix mirror symmetry vs. regular symmetry
    -- fix undo - redo errors associated with this with wedges & slabs
    - fix (eg - remove) radial menus (since they take more clicking and are less efficient)
    -- put slabs back into adv build mode menu
    - "fill" options in advance build mode - eg - allow filling of an enclosed / selected area with the desired block similar to how build guides operate, but internal to an area bounded by other blocks. This will solve players' frustrations / tedium with placing thousands of shield, thrust, etc systems.
    - pg up /down for mousewheel functions for laptop users
    - scripting system in or out of game for NPC dialog
    -- sets up the foundation for quests, missions, specialized vendors, random RP info
    - flora
    - fauna
    -- better tools for server admins to control spawns
    - fix AI spawn groups under the admin tab/ship catalog
    - allow mass set / unset of ship attributes / permissions in the ship catalog by admins
    -- eg - fix the "enemy useable" bug
    - fix dates and ownership in the ship catalog

yeah, so basically lots of great & more important stuff for Schine to spend time on. I'll update this with feedback and suggestions from below as they come in.

Last edited:
    Reactions: wafflepie
    Reaction score
    Got a better one, fix factions so players are more likely to group up

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Let's go through the ones I can answer.

mod support in general
    better custom texture / block support
    Both of these are pretty minor priorities on our to-do list. Mod support is something we agree with, but in the current stage of development it makes little sense. We are trying to create a complete game, and cannot dedicate resources to accommodating the needs of modders. We have plans to open up those possibilities as we get into beta and close to release.

more block IDs
    Last I knew, we were fine on our block ID counts. We aren't concerned about it.

optimization, optimization, and more optimization
    An ongoing process of course. Every few updates Schema works on improving some aspect of the game to improve performance.

This is something we will see more of as we work towards introducing updates for planets and the universe in general. If we are talking about blocks however, like the grate or pipe, then that is up to our 3D director.

try bringing back cookie planets or at least give servers the option to choose which planet type
    Cookie planets are not innovative or visually appealing. While we don't plan on doing space engineers sized planets, we believe it is possible to improve our current planets significantly. And if we can, we absolutely should.

fix (eg - remove) radial menus (since they take more clicking and are less efficient)
    -- put slabs back into adv build mode menu
    "fill" options in advance build mode
    This makes me believe that you are using the radial menu to swap out blocks each time you want to use them. Right clicking the block in the radial menu will sticky it to the hotbar and they will remain there even between logouts. I personally think it's an improvement, as I no longer need to fiddle with an advanced menu bar just to set my slab thickness. Now I can just scroll to it on the hotbar.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    - fix factions - e.g. - encourage larger memberships and less 1-manning.
    In my personal experience, unless I've been invited I've noticed Public Factions are good for grouping players who are new to a server and have no clue what faction to join. Otherwise I just start my own until I get to know the server and it's rules better.

A built in public faction could save admins creating one.
    Or perhaps allow a way to join the NPC factions.

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    In my personal experience, unless I've been invited I've noticed Public Factions are good for grouping players who are new to a server and have no clue what faction to join. Otherwise I just start my own until I get to know the server and it's rules better.

A built in public faction could save admins creating one.
    Or perhaps allow a way to join the NPC factions.
    Going further, another problem with factions as they are now, is the faction mining bonus in the system you take over. It encourages 1-man factions. It either needs a healthy nerf, or to go away entirely, with NPC factions being joinable.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Going further, another problem with factions as they are now, is the faction mining bonus in the system you take over. It encourages 1-man factions. It either needs a healthy nerf, or to go away entirely, with NPC factions being joinable.
    I'm not sure the bonus would be the cause of 1 man turtle factions. I think it's more a paranoia issue.
    Although, it does seem a bit odd that by the taking of s system asteroids magically have more resources.

Starting out I turtled in my own faction, because I had no clue. Now I'm more than happy to be part of a team. Helping a faction in whatever style they like to play. It's so much more fun when you're part of a team.

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm didn't say that 1-man turtle factions were caused by the mining bonus, I said it encouraged it.

What I'd suggest to replace it is a scaling mining bonus, perhaps 10% (actual number should vary) more materials with one person, that slowly scales as a faction gains members, and possibly other assets (e.g. more systems, trade routes with other factions, etc.) This would be more of the 'hard nerf' category.

Reactions: Alsos
    Reaction score
    I'm didn't say that 1-man turtle factions were caused by the mining bonus, I said it encouraged it.

What I'd suggest to replace it is a scaling mining bonus, perhaps 10% (actual number should vary) more materials with one person, that slowly scales as a faction gains members, and possibly other assets (e.g. more systems, trade routes with other factions, etc.) This would be more of the 'hard nerf' category.
    I think a good nerf solution would be to steeply reduce the bonus in the same system as the home base, but have a much higher bonus in claimed sectors that don't have the Home Base protection. This would force miners to protect at least one base to get the full bonus, it would force them to either park their mining ships at that base or travel much further each mining trip, and it would encourage the player to mine from that vulnerable claimed sector quickly before they are discovered and purged.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score

I was about to post this suggestion then i saw your comment. Im assuming you mean the greater the faction size it scales up vastly like 1=5x loot 10members is something like 30x or higher. I think the current system is a multiplier anyay. I dont remember. The more sectors owned is a good idea too. Because you obviously need faction points to be able to keep sectors so you need the extra people to keep them all.

I think this would be the best solve.

I think an issue is though that people would be afraid of losing their stuff to other thief members. But thats not an issue if you know you're playing with nice people.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Asvarduil