Recognized Schine Server

Reaction score
    Starmade is dominated by hundreds of cheap low-power servers that few people use with the exception of a few servers that are so bursting with players that they are lagged to oblivion.

I think schine should start a superserver more powerful than any other server and capable of holding all the giant ship battles that people like to do.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can throw all the hardware you want at it, but it doesn't matter if the server doesn't utilize it all.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Code must be written to take advantage of all hardware. It's not automagic like many people believe. It's also quite hard to parallelize a game well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well, starmade can take advantage of extra CPU threads - however that's a client setting to load more stuff at once. I have an 4 core/8 thread CPU, so i set my thread count to 6, to leave a physical core for other crud.

Starmade can, and will also utilise as much ram as you assign it.

Now if the server can get some true multithreading support (I believe it has barely any currently) a 'super server' would be viable. Until then, as BDLS said, the server simply won't use all available resources.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is all academic unless the server farm will use microtransactions to sustain the expense. I don't think there will be enough players to support a microtransaction economy, unless transactions are forced, whether that be a monthly subscription like World of Warcraft or some other required payment. Besides, Schine would have to come up with a way to procedurally build new content to make microtransactions worthwhile, because they would need as much money as possible to go to supporting the server farm, versus hiring more artists and event programmers. After all, when we are talking about Schine, we aren't talking about Blizzard, so it is a limited team with limited resources and income.

Plus there is the issue of massive network packet storms as hundreds of ships each unleash hundreds of weapons. Everybody playing in the sector and nearby sectors in-game would have to keep track of that, increasing the network load exponentially with each new ship in that proximity.

There's nothing to keep a private party from stepping up with a massive server. It would simply be a bigger, better version of the servers that currently get lagged to death. And players, much like bureaucracy, will fill the space given to them. (Probably with bigger titans.)

Reaction score
    Starmade is dominated by hundreds of cheap low-power servers that few people use with the exception of a few servers that are so bursting with players that they are lagged to oblivion.
    I dont know what people search in a Starmade server. But its not "hardware". I set up my Server ([DE] MTX-Universe) and so far not really much people are interested. Maybe its because its German? But its NOT because of Hardware issues. Thats an i7-2600 with 32 GB of RAM on a quality hoster (GBit) and were five people MAX. Thats, like, TOTAL OVERKILL.
    Plus, what I found is, the Serverside is heavily undocumented. I did manage to get it to update, restart, autosae and stuff like that. But some of the advanced things are total dark to me. And, while im StarMade noob, im NOT a Hosting-Noob. But this undocumented BS? Like "WTF".

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I dont know what people search in a Starmade server. But its not "hardware". I set up my Server ([DE] MTX-Universe) and so far not really much people are interested. Maybe its because its German? But its NOT because of Hardware issues. Thats an i7-2600 with 32 GB of RAM on a quality hoster (GBit) and were five people MAX. Thats, like, TOTAL OVERKILL.
    Plus, what I found is, the Serverside is heavily undocumented. I did manage to get it to update, restart, autosae and stuff like that. But some of the advanced things are total dark to me. And, while im StarMade noob, im NOT a Hosting-Noob. But this undocumented BS? Like "WTF".
    Have you tried wrappers yet?

Reactions: ChoMar
    Reaction score
    Well, starmade can take advantage of extra CPU threads - however that's a client setting to load more stuff at once. I have an 4 core/8 thread CPU, so i set my thread count to 6, to leave a physical core for other crud.

Starmade can, and will also utilise as much ram as you assign it.

Now if the server can get some true multithreading support (I believe it has barely any currently) a 'super server' would be viable. Until then, as BDLS said, the server simply won't use all available resources.
    This is absolutely correct.

I have a server for friends to play privately on. It will be public once finished with our website work and finished being tuned, but it is a 12-core 3.3ghz Xeon server with 2 CPUs and a total of 24 threads, it also has 64GB of memory. I use it as a game host for minecraft, ARK, Starmade, and an old Lineage 1 server, but I can use 6 threads for starmade and it makes no difference if I allocate 12. It has not been made yet to support all of that hardware even, so when I've done that there was no difference in performance, even with a 3 titan battle going on.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Micro transactions are not evil.
    Having said that, micro transactions are often abused and handled poorly.

Micro-transactions should be for eye-candy and optional meta-game content, like the current plans to for skin slots. I see no reason why someone would need more then one, but if you want to pay for 12 of them it's your money.

But if RandomRichKid can pick up the game, buy 50mil in-game currency and log in for the first time with a super-station, three titans, and 24 hours of mining/combat boost, then you are are in pay2win territory and I will find another game.

Reactions: Pacific_Jim
    Reaction score
    ^That. I'm not a fan of microtransactions at all but I fully accept that Schine is a group of people who have to pay the bills somehow, and can get over some cosmetic stuff. Pay 2 win type stuff can kill a game for me though.

Reaction score
    Microtransactions are hard to implement with Community-Servers.
    Plus, after looking at everything, there seem to be some beefy community-Servers out there. And, as i said already, some of them are hardly utilized. Are there any Numbersof the max. amount of People playing simultaneously? After looking at all the publically availible Lists I would guess about 200? Maybe 500 Max? Wich seems to be too few. But without the full data ist hard to determin the Needs for Servers or even stuff like Microtransactions.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Microtransactions are hard to implement with Community-Servers.
    Plus, after looking at everything, there seem to be some beefy community-Servers out there. And, as i said already, some of them are hardly utilized. Are there any Numbersof the max. amount of People playing simultaneously? After looking at all the publically availible Lists I would guess about 200? Maybe 500 Max? Wich seems to be too few. But without the full data ist hard to determin the Needs for Servers or even stuff like Microtransactions.
    most servers seems to start to struggle when there are 30+ players online in each their own sector.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    There's nothing to keep a private party from stepping up with a massive server. It would simply be a bigger, better version of the servers that currently get lagged to death. And players, much like bureaucracy, will fill the space given to them. (Probably with bigger titans.)
    This is the root the whole problem. Self-restraint (in making huge ships) is noticeably absent among players leaving the entire responsibility for this dumped onto Schine who have to balance the behemoths.

Take the lead folks. If you are such a great a builder make an efficient 500-meter ship that looks fabulous instead of a bloated 1200-meter Lag-viathan that you cant get to fully render because of limited sight-range.

(gauntlet thrown o_O)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Take the lead folks. If you are such a great a builder make an efficient 500-meter ship that looks fabulous instead of a bloated 1200-meter Lag-viathan that you cant get to fully render because of limited sight-range.
    Most of the big ship builders have machines capable of handling kilonaughts and planets in the same frame ;)

Keppy has a picture of the Charon over a 1kmR planet fully rendered. It's very possible to render all of a big ship, just turn up max chunks and have a good enough PC

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Most of the big ship builders have machines capable of handling kilonaughts and planets in the same frame ;)
    True...true. I am thinking of the less state-of-the-art players on my multi-player server. So lagged they are unable to visit the bases of such power-players. I saw a battle of giants once and the frame-rate dropped to 4 FPS during the engagement. This becomes more of a problem as each new player feels they must go big to compete. Kinda spirals from there on a modest server.

Last edited:
    Reaction score

Keppy has a picture of the Charon over a 1kmR planet fully rendered. It's very possible to render all of a big ship, just turn up max chunks and have a good enough PC
    Not everyone has a good enough PC. And those big lagships are generally for combat which means they engage other ships. Have you ever experienced what its lite to be pounced upon by a titan? One minute your just minding your business, The next your computer suddenly dies from lag! and when you relog, Your ship is just overheating wreckage! Never had a chance!

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Not everyone has a good enough PC. And those big lagships are generally for combat which means they engage other ships. Have you ever experienced what its lite to be pounced upon by a titan? One minute your just minding your business, The next your computer suddenly dies from lag! and when you relog, Your ship is just overheating wreckage! Never had a chance!
    It's time to purchase some new hardware then....

In all seriousness things have gotten better than they use to be.

Reaction score
    It's time to purchase some new hardware then....

In all seriousness things have gotten better than they use to be.
    Starmade is a game, Games are about fun, Not being forced to buy a new PC just because some assholes are building giant murderships