Scanners Now?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    OK... Maybe this is just something that is currently broken or pending a further major update but do scanners actually work at the moment?

In the "old" version you would need only a single scanner computer and an antenna to obtain system data on the map.

In the "new" version I have tried every obvious combination of recon chambers that I can think of to try and achieve the same effect but without success.

Is there a new version of the old system (yet) or are we expected to feel our way around the galaxy?

Reactions: Coyote27 and Az14el

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    are we expected to feel our way around the galaxy?
    No comment!

O_____o7

- on a more serious note though, i do belive a bunch of stuff is actually broken right now (aside from stations which is my thing to continually bring up), ive seen threads on turrets and a few other things, so I doubt your experience is individual, but more likely universal.

Reactions: splatthecat

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Apparently they didn't bother to hook up the old scanner functionality to new Long-Range Scanners. They apparently have better/different planned functionality for the universe update, but seeing as that is probably in a year or more, I don't see why they didn't bother to hook the old behaviour back up for now.

Reactions: Az14el
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, I have a weird system going where I made a bunch of generic cockpits of different sizes with the scanners hooked up on them, blueprinted them in the older install I have for making "old" style ships, then transfer the blueprints over to the latest version install so I can still build ships that can at least scan systems with the old scanners. Not fun.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    .new Long-Range Scanners...
    In an earlier pre-release version, Long Range Scanners were in the Recon Chamber Tree?

I did think that some form of system wide scan would be possible and depending on the scanner strength, stations/shops/planets would be revealed. The stronger the scanner the more detail would emerge. Even fleets or single ships might show up ( though I can imagine the lag created at spawn! ) and station types (Derelict/Trading Guild/Pirate) or more specific (Derelict Alpha/Trading Guild Beta/Pirate Delta). Short range scanners could, as they appear to work now(ish) to get specific information from a closer target such as reactor location, cargo carried or the make up of an asteroid.

Maybe another long wait then?

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    it's just flying blind for now as far as other nearby-but-not-in-load-distance players go, no way to detect each-other beyond checking homebases & its a very big galaxy, they should just allow the old nav data it's really ridiculous to just blind us while we wait

Reaction score
    We could tie scanner range to scanner strenth directly and have them be one and the same, each level of strength increasing active scan range out a little further. That said, either the root recon chamber or no chamber at all should still be sufficient to get system data, and the ore scanner should be able to pick up asteroids on the system map too (right now it's almost pointless).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    We could tie scanner range to scanner strenth directly and have them be one and the same, each level of strength increasing active scan range out a little further. That said, either the root recon chamber or no chamber at all should still be sufficient to get system data, and the ore scanner should be able to pick up asteroids on the system map too (right now it's almost pointless).
    I honestly thought that was how it would work. Maybe the basic scanner being able to pick up stations etc in a small radius. Maybe a low to mid powered scanner the entire system and a high powered one more and more detail or information.