Salvaging as an Astronaut

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I've posted this somewhere before in the midst of another suggestion.

When salvaging derelict stations or anything derelict as an astronaut, can you make it so we can salvage the actual block instead of scrap, but only if the particular block is undamaged?
    This would be tedious, but more benficial like mining an asteroid as an astronaut provides a greater yeild.

If this upsets balance, I'm sure there is a simple way to rebalance.
    Perhaps have an alternate tool or a setting on the portabl phabricator.
    Or perhaps have any derelict stations, planet bases, ships infested with the aracnids to make the mission dangerous and exiting. You could use this suggestion to balance.
    **Creature NPC Spawn Block**
    Creature NPC Spawn Block

I believe this could provide a much more exiting astronaut game play experience.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Now this I could get behind.

Salvaging entire stations from a ship with a massive array is just a crazy imbalance of income, but if you had to salvage the entire thing by hand? Now that would be a good balance. Would mean seeking out specific stations and hunting down the location of specific blocks you really wanted.

I like it!

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    this could be a good "alternate fire mode" for the torch tool: left click burns the block, right click salvages.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Interesting concept.

While tedious, I would take the time to salvage from a derelict station by hand just to get something besides scrap after a battle.

To be honest, part of me feels like overheating ships and station should only yield armor, hull and terrain blocks and turn everything else to scrap unless salvaged by hand.

+1 for giving abandoned derelicts a (few) creature spawner(s). LV426, here I come!!!

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think this suggestion is actually more balanced than the current game. You can start over as an astronaut, without having to find your way to a planet or a trade station. This could be a good way to start the game in the future, with the player spawning far away from these places, and instead being abandoned at an abandoned station (could be a good story line that leads into this beginning: abandoned by your shipmates when food runs low, you must make what you can from the nearby station... Or... You were abducted by space pirates. After they took everything of value, you find yourself floating aimlessly near an abandoned station....)