Salvager Looting and Drone Docking

Reaction score
    Thought it would be a good idea to be able to use a salvage beam to pick up items dropped by enemies in combat instead of flying through it, gets the items to the storage chests that much faster.
    (or maybe a looting beam, if ships can't be fitted with a salvager)

On another thought I think it would be cool to have drone specified AI aside from "ship" and "turret"
    Like "Repair" and "Salvage"
    also a drone docking module that when activated (can be bound to 1-9) will release the drone to do whatever it does (salvage, attack, heal, whatever drone features are in the future) when activated a second time they return to the ship and redock. (or if pathfinding and collision is an issue they return to a Radius around the ship and teleport back to the dock)

Reactions: Kyzo

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    #dyesm?
    AI drones are already a thing. the trouble is getting the lil b*stards to redock.

Altho an indicator on radar to the loot cloud would be nice. And nicer still would be if everyone who contributed to the kill got different loots. No loot ninjas, k? It'd make hunting pirates in groups a good idea as everyone scores more loot. Just hit the bad guy once, when he gets hulled you'll get something for your assistance. But that'll make more sense when we can form multi-faction wings or 'parties'. Take a sortie with a mixed group everyone gets mad loot. Woot-woot.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    AI drones are already a thing. the trouble is getting the lil b*stards to redock.
    Yeah, but OP is asking for drones to mine/repair, something that isn't ingame at the moment.

Reaction score
    I agree. I had the thought of building a space station with repair "turrets" surrounding the docking zone, allowing any docked ship to be continually repaired. Makes a lot of sense to me.

D

Deleted member 392097

I agree that it would be better to have a beam picking up the goods which have been dropped instead of flying through them (which is very unrealistic). Also I think that it would be great if instead of players being able to just walk through them, for them to have to use their salvage beam (right-click) to pick up the items.

And when you do bump into the dropped goods (whether you are in a ship or just an astronaut) they would just float away from you (depending on what they are they may act differently if you bump into them).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Drone is something that I'll love to be added to the game ! Repair drone, attack drone, defense or even mining !

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I was thinking about this the other day when i was killing pirates. I kept having to stop fighting to unload my inventory into a box to pick up more stuff. Pain.

What i think should happen is the loot shouldn't even pop out, but remain in storage boxes in the ship. Zap the core with a repair beam to stop it overheating and come back later when the fighting is over. You can then either go in astronaut mode and discover the loot, which would be fun imo, or you can pick up the storages contents with a salvage beam.

Something else that would be cool would be to be able to pull storage from any owned unit, or un factioned unit with the salvage beam. This would make inter ship cargo transfer easier. Cargo pods would become more of a thing.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1420272594,1420272495][/DOUBLEPOST]Unless the storage boxes are destroyed of course, then there should be floating loot. But it should last a lot longer than it does. I make my loot clouds last 10 minutes. On the servers, it's more like 2, which isn't enough time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have also noticed that you can link lockers to salvage cannons, so that the contents end up in the lockers. I discovered this on accident today.

i would like to make giant claws for ships, so that they can grab wrecked ships and take them someplace else. I would love to surround my base with several derelict ships, for both parts, and atmosphere. I actually hate it that the whole ship vanishes, without a big explosion, once the ships core times out. I hate that. I would like there to be more debris in this game.

Reaction score
    Mo AI Mo Better I figure. I'd also like to be able to pick up floating items without having to rub my face in debris until I get it.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    R2D2

Repairs your ship's critical systems while you keep your enemy barely out of range with extra-long-range stop/push cannons.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think that for drones, a separate AI module needs to be created. and this AI module gets linked to a special computer, and from this computer, you assign each drone ship to a dock.

when flying, you left click on the computer to release the drones, and you right click to call them back.

If a drone can not get home, than it self destructs.