Votes: 8 34.8%
    • Yes, but keep normal salvage beams

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I realize I have mentioned this a few other times on other threads but I think I need to make a whole thread about it. I believe that we should removed Salvage beams and add a salvage effect to the game. So that if you wanted a salvage beam you could link salvage modules to your beam cannon combo to make a constant beam salvager. I realize this sounds like it will make constant beam salvagers bigger and less efficient. But it opens up so many more avenues for salvaging. You could make salvage nukes or rapid fire salvage cannons. To be honest what would lag more 100 salvage beams or 20 salvage nukes? Missles are instant block destruction and they don't plague the server as much as destroying 100 seperate blocks per second in several locations. I believe this would add even more variety to the game and make mining vessels have different main types. Also any weapon that has salvage modules on it cannot due damage to active ships. They can only salvage dead ships and asteroids as normal salvage beams do. Tell me what you think? Would it be worth it? I believe it would be a great addition.

Edit: there will have to balancing as with any major change. I like the ideas that Azereiah came up with. He and several others suggested that salvage missiles should drop the block in a loot cloud. He also said that salvage beams could be used for vacuuming up loot from range.

Last edited:

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I too want to be able to control eastern European time.
    On a more serious note, as long as it was balanced appropriately, I would like it.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like it and would recommend an additional server configuration setting: salvage-slave behavior. Maybe a choice between Instant Salvage, Drop Loot Cloud, Drop Ore Cloud, or Normal Damage Addition. (For those server owners who don't want missile-based salvaging.) Maybe one setting per weapon type, so that beams act differently from cannons, which act differently from missiles, which act differently from pulse lancing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This wouldn't be a bad idea. I do admit, though, that salvage cannons and missiles seem a little weird to me. I can imagine salvaged materials being transmitted back along a salvage beam using "science voodoo magic", but it stretches belief a bit more to imagine an exploding rocket collecting scrap and magically transporting it back to my ship.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    This wouldn't be a bad idea. I do admit, though, that salvage cannons and missiles seem a little weird to me. I can imagine salvaged materials being transmitted back along a salvage beam using "science voodoo magic", but it stretches belief a bit more to imagine an exploding rocket collecting scrap and magically transporting it back to my ship.
    Grey goo missiles?

Reactions: Jay_do

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm going to say no, on the basis that salvage cannons are cheap and require no specific capsule type (only metal mesh), while main weapon types require large numbers of actual capsules. A change like this could seriously fuck up people in earlygame.

Reactions: Parameter
    Reaction score
    I'm going to say no, on the basis that salvage cannons are cheap and require no specific capsule type (only metal mesh), while main weapon types require large numbers of actual capsules. A change like this could seriously fuck up people in earlygame.
    You could vote for the 3rd option.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I would support Salvagers as an effect with the caveat that as a defensive effect, they exist as they are right now.

Damage Beam-Salvager would be different from "normal" salvagers by merit of damage beams having an inherent effect.

Missile-Salvage may be difficult to put an explanation behind. I'd recommend Missile-Salvage not transferring materials directly to inventory, but rather blasting them into a loot cloud at the impact point. At least that way, Missile-Pulse-Salvage bombers will need to have a "collection shuttle" or some crap to work efficiently. Alternately, allow salvage beams to "vacuum" a loot cloud into cargo hold...?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Why not make all secondaries both as they are but when slaved to primary weapons they come in as effects? :) As for the details on how they'd apply their effects lets think a little more. :)

Reactions: Urza der Gehasste
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would support Salvagers as an effect with the caveat that as a defensive effect, they exist as they are right now.

Damage Beam-Salvager would be different from "normal" salvagers by merit of damage beams having an inherent effect.

Missile-Salvage may be difficult to put an explanation behind. I'd recommend Missile-Salvage not transferring materials directly to inventory, but rather blasting them into a loot cloud at the impact point. At least that way, Missile-Pulse-Salvage bombers will need to have a "collection shuttle" or some crap to work efficiently. Alternately, allow salvage beams to "vacuum" a loot cloud into cargo hold...?
    I completely agree. It would be better if the missles drop the cloud as loot. And the vacuum idea could work too.

Reaction score
    I completely agree. It would be better if the missles drop the cloud as loot. And the vacuum idea could work too.
    And if salvage missiles picked up loot cloulds, because It can be really hard to get all the little ores out of the center of an asteroid. You'ed need to shoot twice, but it would be a lot easier than having to knock the asteroid away, hover in the center of the loot clould, and try to dump your overflowing inventory into some chest somewhere.

Reaction score
    Maybe this can only apply to beam and pulse turrets: It's already a salvage beam, so now just reduce block count by one and remove the salvage modules. Pulse because it would be great for mining---a large-scale pulse could conceivably destroy an entire asteroid. Give a mining pulse larger range and reload, and it'd be great.

Reaction score
    Okay so, umm what do I get if I link up LESS than 1:1 salvage effect modules? What's the behavior of a Beam+Cannon+25%Salvage? 25% of the weapon dmg becomes salvage dmg, but where does the rest of the damage go?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Personally, I'd rather be able to build salvage drones that actually mine for me. Changing the salvage mechanics has been talked to death about and nothing more efficient has been discussed so far as I've read. If I could turn my salvage barge into a salvage carrier with multiple drones mining along side my main salvage array, then docking and unloading their ores when their cargo is full, then that would speed things up tremendously.

Best part about it is most of the framework is already in place, the only thing missing is a setting on the Bobby AI that allows it to target asteroids and use a salvage beam.