SA:V Ratio for balancing power 2.0

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This is part of an old idea I had for stealth, modified to fit the new power system.

Remove stabilizers from the current ship building process. This suggestion can do the same thing, as far as limiting the size of systems and promoting interiors, without benefiting any particular shape.

Take the block count of a ship and determine the surface area to volume ratio of a cube equal in block count. The sa:v will then determine the max reactor output a ship can handle efficiently (call it a heat mechanic if you like.) Once this "softcap" is reached, additional reactor blocks reduce the efficiency of the reactor. A player could squeeze more power out of their ship, up to a "hardcap" which would be the point where placing any more blocks would reduce efficiency enough so that the total output would be reduced.

If a player goes too far above the hardcap, the reactor will begin taking damage. This will effectively cap reactor size and energy output based on the "size" of the ship. This could be used by schine to essentially limit systems to around a certain percentage of a ship's total block count through the energy draw of ship systems, like they are trying to do now with the new power system.

You could use block count and algorithms to achieve essentially the same effect. I went with the sa:v ratio because it's relatable and gives a nice curve as block count increases. It's fairly easy to understand and could be used as a meta thing (reactor heat radiating through the hull and whatnot.

It could be some other geometric shape but we deal with cubes every day and using the sa:v of the ship itself would be a mistake. Depending on how it affects power generation, players would attempt to minimize their ship's suface area and maximize it's volume, or vice versa, which would end with spherical/cube or 2D/plate ships being most effective respectively. If a cube's sa:v is substituted for the actual sa:v of a ship, all ship shapes would then be equal.

This ratio could then be utilized to either increase or decrease the output per reactor block relative to ship size. Smaller ships have more surface area to volume than larger ships and one could say; excess heat is more easily dissipated through the ship with the higher surface area, thus allowing more efficient operation of the reactor and in turn requiring relatively fewer blocks to reach max output. Shine could also flip that around and make volume the determining factor if they like, giving the edge to larger ships instead.

This however wont arbitrarily force interiors on anyone. Players can build a ship with an interior or a more compact ship with no interior, just as they can now with power 2.0. As long as two ships have the same block count, even though their dimensions could be drastically different, they should be as closely matched as possible, interior or no. Which, I believe, was one of the reasons behind the power overhaul (could be wrong.) It really is too early to worry about interiors though imo but this suggestion could potentially help during transition when they do have a reason for existing.

Make them a capital ship/station only item and allow them to extend the efficiency range of the reactor. Basically permitting a player to build a larger than normal reactor without the efficiency fall off happening as soon. Cap ships and stations, imo, should be more dangerous block for block, this could aid in that. Unless of course they have a different energy system in mind for capitals, in that case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Intersting concept.
    Intital thougths:
    -How would the surface area calculations work?
    -Would that limit ship designs?
    -Players will likely find an exploit at some point.
    -What effect does hardcapping energy generation for a block count have?

Reaction score
    How would you determine block count of the ship if it is not yet built ?

You basically need to have a 100% ready ship (including reactor) to get its block count. But the ship and reactor are not built so you can't have the block count. Seems like a time paradox.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Intersting concept.
    Intital thougths:
    -How would the surface area calculations work?
    -Would that limit ship designs?
    -Players will likely find an exploit at some point.
    -What effect does hardcapping energy generation for a block count have?
    The way it works is 6a^2/a^3 where a=length of the side and because of this, volume increases faster as things get bigger. On a graph it looks like this:
    Utilizing this curve will allow the gameplay mechanics described in the op.

As far as limiting ship design, I really don't see how it could. If I've missed something, hopefully someone will let me know.

I can't argue with your 3rd point but if you see any potential exploits, again, let me know.

Hardcapping based on block count keeps reactors small and establishes a max potential output based on ship "size." Which is something the devs are trying to do with the power update.
    How would you determine block count of the ship if it is not yet built ?
    Honestly, that never crossed my mind. I would suggest building the ship first, systems and all. Everything will be spread out, if the devs have their way, making it all easily accessible for fine tuning (which we all do anyway.) The reactor itself shouldn't take up a great deal of blocks, relatively speaking, so it shouldn't affect max output to a great extent.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    (edit: i misread the OP. Sorry.)
    This is a pretty good suggestion when it comes to how to determine the "size" of a ship. It doesn't entirely eliminate minmaxing unfortunately.

Assume we have built two identical, seen from the outside, ships. One ship has nice spacey crew-ready interiors and some empty hangar space reserved for fighters and shuttles, and the other has a 1x1 shaft leading to the core and that's it. Because the less hollow ship has more blocks to fill the "surface area determining cube", it can have a bigger reactor and thus bigger weapons. It's more efficient and battle effective for the same silhouette.

Thus you'd want to pack your stuff as tightly together as possible and forego interior space with this system, just like with the current(old) system. This isn't that big of a downside and it's familiar to us from the old system, but it means we're back to filling up every single block inside the hull to not miss out on efficiency. I recall that's one of the things the new system was trying to fix, to accommodate the upcoming crew update and make shipbuilding less tedious.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    It's more efficient and battle effective for the same silhouette.
    If this suggestion were implemented, and "block count" was used to determine reactor output and thus, how "good" a ship is in a role, then dimensions will no longer play a part in comparing two ships to one another.

We've always had a dimensional based system for power generation, which is why we've always had dimensional based exploits, and still do btw. Reactor generation, in this idea, isn't completely tied to any property of a ship, it's tied to something that players cant manipulate. Every ship has a cube and every cube is the same. It's what puts every ship on an even playing field. As long as two ships have the same size cubes, they are equally matched. Unless one is a cloud ship.

But the real problem is, as
    Zoolimar pointed out, the fact that there is absolutely no way of knowing how many blocks a ship will have before you begin work on it. This reason alone probably means this suggestion is doa but if you or anyone else has an idea, please leave a comment.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    but if you or anyone else has an idea, please leave a comment.
    I think this suggestion is close in spirit, and doesn't have the same pitfalls. By using the "perceived" volume of a ship rather than actual volume, you give the player the freedom to build a hull, plop down a reactor, and not worry about the power system after that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I think this suggestion is close in spirit, and doesn't have the same pitfalls. By using the "perceived" volume of a ship rather than actual volume, you give the player the freedom to build a hull, plop down a reactor, and not worry about the power system after that.
    Unfortunately I feel it has similar drawbacks to my idea. Such as having to build the ship before determining the signature radius, which would then calculate rector output. If players wanted more power they could increase their surface area by building a large hollow shell.

It's really an interesting concept that could have a place in game, like target acquisition, but I dont feel it would work well with power.