Running Docked Salvage beams

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I have been working on a ship with a "drill" (rotating array slapped on the front of my ship). I cannot for the life of me get them to fire.

Is this not possible anymore, or have I just missed something obvious, at 3am?

Reaction score
    My logic timers on other miners no longer work either. So I'm interested in responses from others.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Yeah logic is no longer activating any weapon computers afaict.

Reaction score
    Salvagers do still work with logic trigger, but the beam(s) are invisible. aim your rig at an asteroid for testing. They do behave a little differently now, the beam 'on' time appears to only be for a second, so I find rail clocks @ 60% rail speed work best for continuous fire. (Salvagers also don't appear to be drawing power when triggered via logic.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    I started testing salvage beams again this morning and yet again they seem to have changed. Something in last nights update I guess. I'm now getting max salvage power at a measly 4 modules. That mines 8 basic armour blocks per shot... as the results are very different from what I got two days ago I'm looking for some confirmation so I know I'm not seeing things or bugged.

Reactions: -PR-Sandbag

Kraengis

stuff builder
    Reaction score
    Salvagers do still work with logic trigger, but the beam(s) are invisible. aim your rig at an asteroid for testing. They do behave a little differently now, the beam 'on' time appears to only be for a second, so I find rail clocks @ 60% rail speed work best for continuous fire. (Salvagers also don't appear to be drawing power when triggered via logic.)
    Thanks! I had that problem for a while since I got back in the game.

I just need to add a clock to my auto-salvagers to make it work nicely. It also seems that slaved computers don't do any effect anymore.

Reactions: Fays
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I started testing salvage beams again this morning and yet again they seem to have changed. Something in last nights update I guess. I'm now getting max salvage power at a measly 4 modules. That mines 8 basic armour blocks per shot... as the results are very different from what I got two days ago I'm looking for some confirmation so I know I'm not seeing things or bugged.
    are you accounting for the initial tick bonus? You get 10 ticks on contact with a block, by default, when the beam hits a block.

Reaction score
    I've noticed that Basic armor harvests super quick even with astronaut mining, you just need to tap them and they pick up. Have you tried this test vs actual asteroid/planet matterials?
    [doublepost=1532534916,1532534621][/doublepost]
    are you accounting for the initial tick bonus? You get 10 ticks on contact with a block, by default, when the beam hits a block.
    10 free tics! Why would Schema even add an abusable mechanic like that? If anything it should be an inverse function that builds with continuous fire so that you need progressively bigger beams to mine faster. That said, I could see something like that generating the super ridiculous mining rates we've been seeing. new mechanics just encourages people to make super cheap ridiculous looking world eaters with stacked outputs.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    I've noticed that Basic armor harvests super quick even with astronaut mining, you just need to tap them and they pick up. Have you tried this test vs actual asteroid/planet matterials?
    No, I've been meaning to do that. Will see about further testing today with some roid rock rather then basic but the build bug has me at the moment and I find testing gets old quickly. Especially when things change so rapidly and unexpectedly. Even if the mined material is a factor the salvage mechanic seems to be in an erratic state of flux. A week or two ago I was testing 83 module beams as the max cap and getting a similar amount of material. Then it was 60 module beams and far less material and today I'm testing 4 module beams... There's been at least these 3 changes when I've been paying attention and possibly more in between... /shrug.

Was not aware of that but not sure how that would effect my testing as it applies to all tests. I've taken a planet plate and attached a big block of basic hull to it and have been running my test rigs up and down the side...
    starmade-screenshot-0253.png

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    not sure how that would effect my testing
    Are you running it for X amount of times and then counting the blocks? If you do the math and ignore the initial tick burst then you want 8 per rod to get your 200 points per normal tick. If you are doing this with logic then the beams wont stay on like they would if you mined manually because by default the behaviour is to stay on forever (no recharge anymore) - this is not the case for logic controlled beams, so it may be that you are getting more "initial tick bonuses" because it's constantly reloading which is a good case for only using logic for salvagers now that I've typed it "out loud".

I guess the important test will come down to reload time. If you're reloading fast enough to make those extra tick bonuses add up to more than constantly mining.

edit: after hitting post I realised the tick bonus occurs on beam contact with a block so you're getting it from the constant beam anyway. Maybe someone who actually knows the calculation can help us?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Are you running it for X amount of times and then counting the blocks? If you do the math and ignore the initial tick burst then you want 8 per rod to get your 200 points per normal tick. If you are doing this with logic then the beams wont stay on like they would if you mined manually because by default the behaviour is to stay on forever (no recharge anymore) - this is not the case for logic controlled beams, so it may be that you are getting more "initial tick bonuses" because it's constantly reloading which is a good case for only using logic for salvagers now that I've typed it "out loud".

I guess the important test will come down to reload time. If you're reloading fast enough to make those extra tick bonuses add up to more than constantly mining.

edit: after hitting post I realized the tick bonus occurs on beam contact with a block so you're getting it from the constant beam anyway. Maybe someone who actually knows the calculation can help us?
    I've just been doing a single button push pulse. Number of blocks per firing is consistent at 8 blocks every time. I also tested against rock blocks instead of basic armour and got the same block count.
    I might try putting a fast clock on one beam and have an activator on another beam and see if there's any difference. I don't know how I'd accurately compare a manual firing with a logic firing otherwise.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Beams are firing now - something must have changed in the last couple updates.