Rotation based on turret position

Reaction score
    I'm trying to do something, I'm not sure if it's possible. Basically, I'm trying to make a turret that can utilize extra Axes. The idea is that I would build a turret onto a platform that can itself rotate with 2 axes. The catch is the platform that hold the turret also limits the area it can move into. I would like to make it so that when the turret hits the limit of its motion, the platform it is attached to responds by turning in the direction of that limit.

To give you an idea of what I mean, here's a picture of the turret on the platform.

And here's a picture of the confined space I want it to put it into.

(obviously from another game, but a totally recyclable design)

The end goal being an eye that moves in the socket to aim at enemies, and a neck that turns the head to aim where the eye is looking. If I could figure out how to get the turret to follow allies around that'd be dandy. But I'm not seeing a good way to communicate to other parts of the system what position the turret is in. Tried using area sensors and activation gates to detect the position, they didn't work but I am very inexperienced and may have just been doing it wrong. Any insight would be great. A diagram and steps would be amazing. Thank you.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    What you want is unnecessary. If the "extra" axis' that you're using would give your turret a wider range of motion... use them as the turret axis' instead.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You can have turrets on turrets, thus if the neck is a giant turret in it'self, it could work. (neck turns toward target, eye turret turns and fires when target is brought within it's firng arcs by the neck turret). The neck turret doesnt even need to have much weaponary.
    Turrets also don't need to beable to rotate on any axsis to fire, they have a small arc they can fire at ships within even without movement (like player firing except more limited)

If you really want to get trickey you could have a chain of ball turrents all attachted to each other. When they detect a tagret the whole thing would move like some giant snake ^_^

Also, yah robocraft, you used to be fun lol :P

Some other players have also made some pretty cool 'eye' turret designs with full rotation and movement.

50K Champ

Last edited: