Reworked Flight

Reaction score
    So, just an idea, but what about completely changing your flying experience.

This rework would allow you to set a speed, and it will automatically speed up until you are at desired speed. A better waypoint system, allowing you to set multiple paths, from one point to the next. An autopilot mode to allow you travel to said waypoints and to roam around your ship and/or work on it while flying. Also, the ability to fine tune where the front of your ship (Or camera) is using the wasd space and ctrl but also able to use your mouse.

Reactions: eddard_stark
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Using a throttle system would definitely feel nicer than the current direct impulse control, I think, but would probably need some other UI controls to ensure you can still control your ship's velocity (being a vector quantity) independent of the ship's facing; this is an important aspect of ship-to-ship combat, especially in cases where you are more maneuverable than the target.

This might be most readily achieved by adding a "compass" to the UI which can display your ship's facing and its vector in relation to galactic north (the direction which a ship faces in when 'C' is pressed). Having implemented this, velocity could be adjusted either by using the 'WASD' keys to alter its bearing, always in relation to galactic north (W/S to alter elevation/depression, A/D for traversal about the galactic plane) for , or by holding a modifier key which changes your camera view to the same facing as your velocity, and lets you set a "target vector" which the ship will adjust itself to automatically.

Multi-waypoint paths (and especially the ability to save them) would also be useful, in casse such as avoiding stars on a frequent route, or potentially on mining routes etc.

Reactions: Zyrr
    Reaction score
    Using a throttle system would definitely feel nicer than the current direct impulse control, I think, but would probably need some other UI controls to ensure you can still control your ship's velocity (being a vector quantity) independent of the ship's facing; this is an important aspect of ship-to-ship combat, especially in cases where you are more maneuverable than the target.

This might be most readily achieved by adding a "compass" to the UI which can display your ship's facing and its vector in relation to galactic north (the direction which a ship faces in when 'C' is pressed). Having implemented this, velocity could be adjusted either by using the 'WASD' keys to alter its bearing, always in relation to galactic north (W/S to alter elevation/depression, A/D for traversal about the galactic plane) for , or by holding a modifier key which changes your camera view to the same facing as your velocity, and lets you set a "target vector" which the ship will adjust itself to automatically.

Multi-waypoint paths (and especially the ability to save them) would also be useful, in casse such as avoiding stars on a frequent route, or potentially on mining routes etc.

You said what I meant much more clearly. I definitely agree with the galactic north compass, allowing traveling by memory also a lot more easier.
    Another reason with multi-Waypoint paths, is with fleet commands you could easily use this to send your fleet to travel through wormholes.

Rectorian Use fleet commands. Assign your assets and then tell the fleet to move to w/e sector.
    Blobfscrazy YES! teh meme-ories.
    I understand fleet autopilot would work, but they have no AI to avoid Stars, planets, etc.