Remove server max speed

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Don't you find it a bit unrealistic that no matter how many thrusters you have, there is a limit to how fast you can go? Do you think they should remove server max speed?

lochenspace

Redstone Fusion Engineer
    Reaction score
    Yeah, but there should be an actually defined limit to how fast you can go, because if you go too fast you tend to glitch out and weird stuff happens. That limit could be as high as it wants, as long as it doesn't exceed light speed, which is about 300,000 km per second.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Mostly just to prevent server issues (large ship colliding with a planet at high speeds may kill a server)
    You can remove the speed cap if you want already imo, it's in the server config.

lochenspace

Redstone Fusion Engineer
    Reaction score
    Lol imagine slamming into someone else's space ship at 1,200 mps :davegrin:
    KABOOM!!!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That being said if you take your ship to -ve mass through an exploit you can already break the speedlimit on any server.
    Yeah but i only do multiplayer so i can't actually mess with speed cap
    Try and find servers better suited or even set one up yourself if the speed limits arent to your liking.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    When the thrust system was last updated there was a bug that alowed ships to accelerate without limit. It was fun and terrifying. But sector loading calculations are a limiting factor in maximum speed.
    [doublepost=1512687495,1512687444][/doublepost]Sector size is irrelevant when you reach 25000 m/s

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The speed cap is necessary to prevent combat from turning into a mess and to keep servers stable, as high speeds cause lots of desync, even if you do have large enough sector sizes to not be changing sector every couple of seconds.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Don't you find it a bit unrealistic that no matter how many thrusters you have, there is a limit to how fast you can go? Do you think they should remove server max speed?
    Yeah, as others have said, it's a limitation of the game. No responsible server will set their speed limits too high (or remove them) because all manner of things start going wrong. One thing not mentioned by other players here is that if you move too quickly, then the bounding box calculations fail and you fly right through other objects. It's just simply not possible to avoid the limits.

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    I don't think the limit should be removed. Like the others said, it would cause performance issues on servers and possibly on single player worlds too, depending on available resources. I would like to go faster though. Perhaps a setting somewhere to raise or lower the limit would be a good idea (does that exist?).

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't think the limit should be removed. Like the others said, it would cause performance issues on servers and possibly on single player worlds too, depending on available resources. I would like to go faster though. Perhaps a setting somewhere to raise or lower the limit would be a good idea (does that exist?).
    Go to your starmade directory, then open server.cfg with the text editor of your choice. Then search for THRUST_SPEED_LIMIT and increase the value.

Reactions: Skwidz

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    Go to your starmade directory, then open server.cfg with the text editor of your choice. Then search for THRUST_SPEED_LIMIT and increase the value.
    Problem solved. OfficialCoding just set the value higher. Except for when you're on a server. I guess a higher default speed would be better.