Refitting for new Power, What to do with Streams?

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Hey Guys,

I just thought I'd throw this out there. I've been refitting some of my ships and I'm noticing other people talk about this as well. The most logical place in some older ship shell designs is to place the Reactor and Stabilizers in areas of the shell which in-turn places the power stream through the ship's RP / crew space. This is very ugly.

Thankfully Schema has also give us stream node blocks but it's still a bit tricky to get the streams out of crew space. One of my ships for example, the most logical place to put the reactor is around the corridor to the main airlock. Essentially you need to traverse the center of the reactor. However the result is the power stream origin is directly in the center of the corridor. The only way to move it that I've found is to either move the corridor, move the main airlock, or move the reactor. None of those options are optimal for my situation.

I'm not directly trying to eliciting solutions to my problem. But I would like to hear from other people with similar power stream problems, and the ideas that you all came up with to solve the Ugly Power Stream Problem.

Thanks ;)

Energywelder

Director-General, EDY
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I know your pain. The most effective thing would be to perhaps shift the center of the mass of the reactor, then you wouldn't have to move the whole reactor.

Reaction score
    diverted power stream.PNG

what issue are you having? It should be pretty simply to divert the power stream from just about any obstacle you run in to...Are you connecting each stream node to its predecessor?

Reactions: Macharius
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes it's a problem. I think the flux should be an option to see in build mode and juste in build mode or after a scan.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    View attachment 48792

what issue are you having? It should be pretty simply to divert the power stream from just about any obstacle you run in to...Are you connecting each stream node to its predecessor?
    Nice picture to explain things, This is by far the best solution for most problems. Though it doesn't tottally apply to my situation. I think my best bet would be to follow Energywelder 's advice and shift the center of mass if I can. I'll post some screen shots if I remember once I get home.

Reactions: Nosajimiki
    Reaction score
    The first initial node would dictate where the stream comes out of on the reactor. so if you place the first node directly on top of the reactor, or the bottom that's where it would start.

Reaction score
    I had a similar issue with my homebase, the most logical configuration was a reactor in my top dome and a stablizer in the bottom, but there was like 400m worth of RP interiors going right down my station... The most logical spot was intersecting the staircase and elevator shaft used for going from level to level. In many cases there are floors that have no walled off sections to hide the stream in at all, plus the "center" of the reactor was in the middle of a 40m wide atrium.

In the end I made a cancerous shaft that runs along the outside of the base, to route it through, but that was only a simi-viable option because it was a HB, and I don't care if the stream is running along the surface. On a ship, I'd want it dead center through all of my meat.

Asterion-class

I am not recycling any of my old ship hulls. New ship designs have their RP sections above or below all of my actual systems

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Ive had to use silly stream node layouts to divert it around empty spaces. Once i just put it right through a room and made a pathable diversion over it, marked it as hazardous. The best solution seems to involve planning an rp layout around it or incorporating it somehow. On a big transport i built i used tubes of crystal armor and advanced armor struts to showcase the stream tubes through the engineering room, just have to walk under them.