Refinery/Extractor Block for planets

Reaction score
    With the update to asteroids, now making them big enough that players no longer need to burn out all the planets.
    planets could house a new block type that extracts minerals or a new mineral out of the core. the closer to the core the more effective it is, it could also uses up the cores HP if it was needed to be limited.

the refinery block could turn the extracted core parts into random minerals.

feel free to expand on this idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Mantle extractors have been suggested before, I *think* they might have been confirmed at one point.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't even think a new block type is needed. Just change the function of the salvage block when placed on non-ship entities.

I'd recommend keeping it functional on a non-homebase station as a refinery, but at a greatly reduced rate, to simulate refinery stations that are refining... something. Whether that something is the asteroid that the station is built into (you know you want this!), a gas-mining station, or something else, it makes sense to still be able to refine on a station, though at a reduced rate. And I thought it would be interesting to place the refinery on stations that are not homebase-d, so that homebases can't quite do -absolutely everything-.

To further encourage "realism", "balance" or something else, it might be best for stations to require so many hundreds (or thousands) of rock/ore/other resource blocks as a source to enable mining/refining. (To allow trade and purchase of ore sources, allow docked resources) So if the ore is destroyed or otherwise reduced, the refinery shuts down and can't produce anything anymore.

I don't like the idea of random mineral types. The refinery should produce only resources that could be salvaged from the host entity (planet plate, asteroid, station asteroid, docked asteroid, ice block, etc.

Yeah, it would be helpful to get any kind of block type you need from a refinery that is somehow attached to the core, but that again eliminates the concept of scarce elements. The Schine team has expressed interest in scarcity for trade's sake.

tl;dr: I think salvage systems built on planets, asteroids, and even non-homebase'd stations would do the trick.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I could see it being useful for new players as a source of mesh/circuits. Which really is all you need to make the most basic components in the game and even the worst miner will end up with tons of mesh/circuits anyway. Maybe have a refinery pull scrap from the core making refineries more useful.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I do believe passive resource acquisition has been addressed before in one of the Q & As, so I believe it is something planned. Just don't quote me on that unless you hear it from Schine directly.

Reaction score
    Just needs to be something to deter players from seeing planets as just a larger asteroid to mine

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Just needs to be something to deter players from seeing planets as just a larger asteroid to mine
    Thats exactly what they are.
    Keeping them around only creates lag and I can build better looking planets myself.
    Better to get rid of them quickly

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ...I can build better looking planets myself....
    Do you make multiple planets? I would like to see them! How's the lag compared to a regular dodecahedron planet and what size do yours reach?

Have you tried different building styles?
    E.g. Using wedges and even other shapes (slabs, tetras, etc.) to more smoothly form geography; wild biomes; city planets; etc., etc., etc....

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Do you make multiple planets? I would like to see them! How's the lag compared to a regular dodecahedron planet and what size do yours reach?

Have you tried different building styles?
    E.g. Using wedges and even other shapes (slabs, tetras, etc.) to more smoothly form geography; wild biomes; city planets; etc., etc., etc....

Made this one about a year ago XD
    Its radius is about 100-150m, so its diameter is about 200-300m which is similar to the planets we have.
    It has an atmosphere made up of glass (since i think it looks cool XD).
    I don't use it for walking around on, but it does look very nice as part of the secenary or a station.

No lag from it (unlike with planets) and this one is filled with cargo storage. Took me ages to build though :/

I could make others but it is a very time consuming process but I still far prefer it to the defualt planets XD
    Still looking for the file, itll be lying around on my laptop somewhere. I also built a couple others but never got round to finishing them

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    keptick pretty much wrote the book on this topic a while ago with this thread. It's an altogether popular idea, and I'd be thoroughly surprised if it is not implemented.