Reduce stabilizer distance to reactor

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm making a titan. It has to be, because i have such a large reactor g that the stabilizers have to be so far away. I know about stabilizer dimension, but that wouldn't help because my ship isn't a cross. It's just really annoying how they have to be so far away.

Also, this makes small ships impossible because of the distance required. Please reduce the distance.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In a file called "blockbehavior" in the config folder, you can reduce the distance to reactors. All the way down to zero, if you'd like. Make a backup of that file before you tweak numbers, however.

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    In a file called "blockbehavior" in the config folder, you can reduce the distance to reactors. All the way down to zero, if you'd like. Make a backup of that file before you tweak numbers, however.
    I can't do that. I only play multiplayer. I'm asking that the default be lowered

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm making a titan. It has to be, because i have such a large reactor g that the stabilizers have to be so far away. I know about stabilizer dimension, but that wouldn't help because my ship isn't a cross. It's just really annoying how they have to be so far away.

Also, this makes small ships impossible because of the distance required. Please reduce the distance.
    You'll have to give your ship nacelles or a ring or something if you need that much power. Your ship is too large for a fully-internal stabilizer array. If projecting stabilizers make your ship too vulnerable, you'll have to just use very large stabilizers to counter the inefficiency. On the bright side, you'll be able to afford losing a lot more blocks from your stabilizers before you start losing power.

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    You'll have to give your ship nacelles or a ring or something if you need that much power. Your ship is too large for a fully-internal stabilizer array. If projecting stabilizers make your ship too vulnerable, you'll have to just use very large stabilizers to counter the inefficiency. On the bright side, you'll be able to afford losing a lot more blocks from your stabilizers before you start losing power.
    My stabilizer array is far enough that i'm getting like 85% stabilization. but it is really anoying how i can't really make drones that require a good deal of power but are small

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My stabilizer array is far enough that i'm getting like 85% stabilization. but it is really anoying how i can't really make drones that require a good deal of power but are small
    You may be looking at changing the wrong value then. It might help you more to increase the number of reactors that can be placed without stabilizers. I'd up that to 25 tbh. 10 is a bit low to allow for construction of decent fighters or fighter-bombers.

Maramonster

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My problem is, that the scaling of the system is the same with stations, which require enormous amounts of power. Even with 6 stabilizers, if you've got a fleet to power and shield, and you're not a home base with immunity, you're looking at a sector sized behemoth.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My problem is, that the scaling of the system is the same with stations, which require enormous amounts of power. Even with 6 stabilizers, if you've got a fleet to power and shield, and you're not a home base with immunity, you're looking at a sector sized behemoth.
    Isn't a sector-sized behemoth what a station should be if it's protecting an entire fleet?

Reaction score
    my problem is that even if you had a sector sized station it couldnt achieve that goal.

Maramonster

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Isn't a sector-sized behemoth what a station should be if it's protecting an entire fleet?
    You're correct in that case. However that's not the only problem. Survival scaling seems to have gone by the wayside.. With stick shops on death row, these things need to be balanced to grow with a player. Ships right now thanks to the way the power mechanics work are one-and-done. Upgrading a ship with power 2.0 is difficult enough that it's better just to start from scratch with each upgrade. This along with stations inheriting all the power costs of the docked entities becomes an ever increasing struggle.

I don't feel that the systems are balanced around anything other than the extreme. I don't know how I would manage starting fresh and alone. Factories and enhancers cost a lot of power, and with the idling cost of even mining arrays on your ships gobbling down your energy, keeping a station is a Sisyphean effort. Planets are as useless as a bosom on a bull, so stations are really the only way to progress right now.

It's wonderful if it's balanced at end-game, but people actually have to get there. Leaning on shipyards from other factions and creative mode building isn't a solution.

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    yep

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    LvD has stabilizer distance halved, if I remember right. Try playing there.
    Actually it's around 8x to 4x reduced, depending on the size of your reactor, but a minimum distance size for smaller ships was also imposed. It's something like 5 blocks, so it's negligible. The "cross-bonus" was also reduced by 75% since it's much easier to have 100% stability at short distances. Oh and thanks for the recommendation! :)

I can't do that. I only play multiplayer. I'm asking that the default be lowered
    Since these values are moddable by admins, we have done exactly as you request on the LvD server to change them. I'll go into some detail as to what changes we made, and why.

Essentially the differences between default settings and are roughly:

A power reactor on default settings, which would require a distance of something like 200 block distance only requires around 25 blocks worth of distance on LvD. A reactor that would have required 1,600 space only requires about 400. So as you scale up, the distance requirement still goes up, but not to the ridiculous amounts that the default is set to. One of the biggest things we were unhappy with was how QUICKLY the distance would scale up with the default settings. Even rather small ships would have to have a large distance to be 100% efficient. Maybe players don't want to build their 10k weight ship to be 250 blocks long, right? So I changed the curve to favor smaller ships over large ships The the default settings really favored larger ships over smaller ships (but still had enormous space requirements for all ships regardless).

The devs then made it so power reactors would still produce 100% power even at 25% stability. They also released the cross-style bonuses, which I think definitely helped alleviate much of the stability concerns and add some variability. This would allow building stabilizers at shorter distances, but with different risks and benefits. However, I think the effects were still too extreme during combat. It was also a bit more constricting on ship style than I would have liked. If a player relies on the cross-bonus, then their ship will become highly destabilized the moment the stabilizers start to take any damage at all, because the bonus gets destroyed rather easily. This then renders the ship inoperable due to no power. So on LvD, you get a much more stable amount of power. You can still optimize your ship with the cross-bonuses to either get a greater stability buffer OR to make the ship lighter (but riskier), but the cross-effect is exactly 25% of default settings are. I feel this is a fair compromise and it retains the intended use of the bonuses while making shipbuilding much easier on our server. We want players to focus more on their PvP experiences, not have to choose between efficient ships that are dumbells and which do not turn, or ships that are shorter, heavier, and too risky (or somewhere in between).

We hope that our settings allow more freedom in builds and still maintains a balance, but it's really up to the players to decide if we've succeeded. So if you'd like to come test out our settings, please be my guest. :)

Last edited:

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Actually it's around 8x to 4x reduced, depending on the size of your reactor, but a minimum distance size for smaller ships was also imposed. It's something like 5 blocks, so it's negligible. The "cross-bonus" was also reduced by 75% since it's much easier to have 100% stability at short distances. Oh and thanks for the recommendation! :)

Since these values are moddable by admins, we have done exactly as you request on the LvD server to change them. I'll go into some detail as to what changes we made, and why.

Essentially the differences between default settings and are roughly:

A power reactor on default settings, which would require a distance of something like 200 block distance only requires around 25 blocks worth of distance on LvD. A reactor that would have required 1,600 space only requires about 400. So as you scale up, the distance requirement still goes up, but not to the ridiculous amounts that the default is set to. One of the biggest things we were unhappy with was how QUICKLY the distance would scale up with the default settings. Even rather small ships would have to have a large distance to be 100% efficient. Maybe players don't want to build their 10k weight ship to be 250 blocks long, right? So I changed the curve to favor smaller ships over large ships The the default settings really favored larger ships over smaller ships (but still had enormous space requirements for all ships regardless).

The devs then made it so power reactors would still produce 100% power even at 25% stability. They also released the cross-style bonuses, which I think definitely helped alleviate much of the stability concerns and add some variability. This would allow building stabilizers at shorter distances, but with different risks and benefits. However, I think the effects were still too extreme during combat. It was also a bit more constricting on ship style than I would have liked. If a player relies on the cross-bonus, then their ship will become highly destabilized the moment the stabilizers start to take any damage at all, because the bonus gets destroyed rather easily. This then renders the ship inoperable due to no power. So on LvD, you get a much more stable amount of power. You can still optimize your ship with the cross-bonuses to either get a greater stability buffer OR to make the ship lighter (but riskier), but the cross-effect is exactly 25% of default settings are. I feel this is a fair compromise and it retains the intended use of the bonuses while making shipbuilding much easier on our server. We want players to focus more on their PvP experiences, not have to choose between efficient ships that are dumbells and which do not turn, or ships that are shorter, heavier, and too risky (or somewhere in between).

We hope that our settings allow more freedom in builds and still maintains a balance, but it's really up to the players to decide if we've succeeded. So if you'd like to come test out our settings, please be my guest. :)
    Thanks but LvD has a bunch of non standard starmade stuff like those bars and stuff. I just sick to Aetherion, which has gotten laggy of late.