Read by Schine "R" menu for scanner and jump drive computers.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Since we're getting stuff to make piloting from the bridge work soonish, I suppose I might as well mention that we should probably get GUIs that come up when you hit R on certain computers. For scanners, this would just show the scan history, a charge bar, and a "scan" button that becomes clickable when the bar fills up - Pretty simple.
    For jump drive computers, this would bring up a small UI with a "Jump" button, a charge bar, a "Charge" button (This would be a toggle, but only continue while a player remains in the menu) along with a button to set the jump destination, and a button to transfer the current player waypoint into the destination for the jump drive.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Sounds entirely reasonable for astronauts to experience this. More changes to the GUI will happen for sure although I am not entirely aware of what they are.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is definitely on the right track. I would be happy with implementing these GUIs exactly as described in the OP.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445705764,1445704856][/DOUBLEPOST]After further thought I came up with some additional feature ideas. I suppose some of these could be added later, but they'd be really nice to have.
    For the Scanner:
    • Graphical readout. Pressing R brings up the star map in half of the screen with scan locations marked with icons. The other half (third?) of the screen shows scan history and the controls described in the OP. Mousing over an item in scan history highlights its icon on the map.
    • Tactical waypoint: After examining scan data, players may want to set a course to intercept something. Add an option to send the selected map grid to the jump computer as a waypoint. (The person operating jump would have to select it to lay in the course.)
    For the jump drive:
    • Waypoints stored on the ship - set a waypoint in the computer, then click save. It is saved to the ship's main computer (the core) and is accessible to anyone who has access to the ship's jump drive computer(s).
    • Load waypoint from personal - brings up your personal waypoints and lets you set the destination directly from your personal library. Does not automatically save the waypoint to the ship's computer.
    • Load tactical waypoint: Set the tactical waypoint sent from the scanner computer.

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like this idea. But...
    only continue while a player remains in the menu
    So then I have to spend however long waiting for the drives to charge. However, I recognize that the concern about charging while firing weapons is a valid one. So... how about auto-charging only works until the ship fires weapons? You can try to run, or fight, but you can't do both at the same time (unless you have two people, and one of them is holding down the "charge" button)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I like this idea. But...

So then I have to spend however long waiting for the drives to charge. However, I recognize that the concern about charging while firing weapons is a valid one. So... how about auto-charging only works until the ship fires weapons? You can try to run, or fight, but you can't do both at the same time (unless you have two people, and one of them is holding down the "charge" button)
    That works. The intention isn't necessarily to force someone to sit in a GUI for hours just to charge their drive; more just to be able to walk around your ship and do stuff if you want. Just an RP thing. When proper chairs are implemented, you should hopefully be able to charge the drives the normal way - from the hotbar - anyway.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Interesting jump idea - make auto-charge work similar to cloaking is what it sounds like.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Sounds great, and opens the door for having ship crews with each person having a role to fulfill.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Since we're getting stuff to make piloting from the bridge work soonish, I suppose I might as well mention that we should probably get GUIs that come up when you hit R on certain computers. For scanners, this would just show the scan history, a charge bar, and a "scan" button that becomes clickable when the bar fills up - Pretty simple.
    For jump drive computers, this would bring up a small UI with a "Jump" button, a charge bar, a "Charge" button (This would be a toggle, but only continue while a player remains in the menu) along with a button to set the jump destination, and a button to transfer the current player waypoint into the destination for the jump drive.
    There should be an R menu for every computer. So +1 for this.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I love this idea! Some nice astronaut stuff could make 2 players working together on the same ship a lot more interesting.

Funfact, you are the one of the very few that go through the effort of bumbing me, thank you!