Question about rails.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    So I've got an idea for a ship/station, and was wondering how slow/fast can rotating rails go, and how accurate? I need something to take exactly twelve hours to rotate all the way around XD

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You can split up the rotation time. link a speed controller to a rail(-rotator) and link activation modules to that controller. The amount of activated acti. modules defindes the speed.
    E.g. you have 10 modules linked to the controller but only one actived it rotates by 1/10 of the normal speed

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So how fast exactly do they rotate at max speed? And once I figure out how many to use, will I be able to link the some of the same ones to another rotator block so I don't need to make more?

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Guess you have to find that out for yourself :/ Even the wiki doens't know it D:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah I checked there already :/
    [DOUBLEPOST=1435264802,1435264737][/DOUBLEPOST]Well, once I figure it out, I'll be sure to share with everyone in case they also need to know :)

Reactions: Captain Tankman

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Um, actually speed controllers double the speed things move, so 1/10 would be 1/5 normal speed if i'm not mistaken.

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thanks, didn't know that! Anyway, for something to go at 1/720 rpm, you need a lot of activation modules.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So will I have to link each individual activation module to the speed controler, or do I link the speed controler to all the activation modules?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm not sure about rotators, but I believe rails move at 2m/s default. Perhaps that is something to work on?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So according to counting, a metro-gnome, a digital, a quartz, a mechanical watch, and this doo-hickie, it takes three seconds :)

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Why 9 activators? You only need a button, unless those are for speed controllers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That was to make it turn endlessly since that's what the wiki said you need :P
    I'm not the best at logic lol

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Put a single button next to the rotator. Directly next to it. Then link the button linked to the rotator to turn it instead of undocking the rotating thing. When the rotor completes its turn, whatever it is, it sends a signal to adjacent blocks. The button is adjacent, so it gets a signal, and sends it back into the rotator to spin it again. The downside is you can't really stop it without unlinking the button.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    I dont want to cross your plans, but you need someone to stay in the sector 24/7 to have it rotate like a clock ^^

On unload the rotation will stop, and restart on reload, this is sort of okay, for a event-stop-watch or alike,
    but for a real clock that keeps showing the current time you may have to tell the server to never unload any sector (and this obviously will only work for very small ones, where players know about the consequences of that setting.)

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I dont want to cross your plans, but you need someone to stay in the sector 24/7 to have it rotate like a clock ^^

On unload the rotation will stop, and restart on reload, this is sort of okay, for a event-stop-watch or alike,
    but for a real clock that keeps showing the current time you may have to tell the server to never unload any sector (and this obviously will only work for very small ones, where players know about the consequences of that setting.)

- Andy
    Oh that's okay. I'm making a mechanical clock to show off the movement rather than actually tell the time :)