Python Interpreter!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm an aspiring game designer and as you know, that requires programming. Occasionally it's difficult to motivate yourself to work on some new idea, or to keep the gears turning when trying to learn things completely alien to you in a new language or whatnot.

Minecraft has a mod called ComputerCraft where players can program in LUA things like turtles to do automatic mining operations, move around directories, and save files to floppy disk items to trade with other players.

I'm learning Python (because it looked like the easier to grasp language) and I'd love to see something like this implemented in Star Made in place of the current logic gate system, or in conjunction with it. Just having the tools you need to move forward in life right there in the game you love really... helps.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Well, you also might want to get a hold of some java, the modding API is taking shape.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    If we're going with suggesting our favorite languages despite common sense, fuck y'all, C# :P

On a more serious note, it's going to be Java. it makes sense to use the language the game is made in ^^

therimmer96

Reaction score
    In the dev build the API is actually already done, for the blocks, recipes and prices at least.
    You have always been able to added modded blocks with custom prices and such :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I know, but the API makes thing sooooo much easier. Especially for the recipes. Normally you'd have to know what terrain_(number) was, now you can just select a block with a known name :)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    In the dev build the API is actually already done, for the blocks, recipes and prices at least.
    I was referring to an API for "bigger" mods, that add whole new mechanics or behaviours of blocks. Something that cannot be accomplished by modifying configs here and there.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    I know its Yogscast, and I am ashamed, but I feel this is relevant :P

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Firstly, since it's a name for the moon and not and acronym, it's Lua, not LUA. I wouldn't mind if they didn't explicitly say so in the official documentation.

Secondly, I believe there's a reason Lua's been chosen. Whereas python is known for it's simplicity and ease of use while still being moderately powerful, Lua's signature trait is speed(For a high-level language). I can understand if that's what's given priority, given the game's otherwise not to light performance impact.