Proximity Alarms

Reaction score
    I 'd like to make a suggestion. I think that the game could do with a proximity alarm. What I mean is some kind of long range sensor say one sector over that tracks incoming vessels and signals an alert when a designated enemy shows up. Its kinda rough to be at the very back of your ship and all the sudden a fleet of pirate ships warps in and you are damaged before u can even access your cockpit.

D

Deleted member 678402

have outpost in sector you want to be warned about>set up logic on it to trigger a wireless logic block when its shields are below a certain point from being attacked by ships headed to sector you're in>other end of wireless logic is on the station or ship you are in>have it trigger a spinning entity which is wired to red lights flash so they turn on and flash> there you go, proximity alarm

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    We have had various mechanical enemy detectors built with logic, but a built in sensor system would be better.
    Especially if we could use the existing sensor block for this functionality.

For now though, there are a few sensor designs using a bobbyAI cannon with logic you can download from the dock.
    I've built a few simple ones for myself to trigger red alert lighting and jumping, but most likely no longer works with the new power 2.0 jump drive system.

Reactions: Porkbellygamer

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A proximity sensor for logic would be amazing. Trigger emergency jump...
    This is sort of doable now.

A turret will track a hostile target even if there are no weapons installed on it, and it will track them through a ship's hull.

So if you make a small turret inside your ship with nothing but an arm on it, and then put area sensors surrounding it except for the default position, the turret will pass through the area sensors as it tries to track a hostile and set off a logic pulse that can be used as a battle alert.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Nice thinking. I guess you would have to manually reset the sensor device every time you passed by a hostile.

Hmmm... and I just realized that either your way OR with a dedicated proximity sensor, the logic could also override your manual control of the ship if you had the proximity alarm rigged to trigger an emergency jump... which could be a problem if you ever forgot to deactivate it when re-boarding your core, then flew past a couple of hostiles. Random jump would ensue.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yup.

If we had logic to detect if a pilot was in the core or not, you could hook that into the sensor to say "NOT pilot in core AND sensor detection = ACTIVATE jump" so that your ship would auto-jump if it was free-floating, unmanned, and a hostile came near it.

Of course, without some way to track your ship, thats about the same as having it blown up if you aren't logged in at the time, as you'd never find it. Unless we also had some way to set a default jump coordinate.