Proposal new block: Transferable docked entity's connector

Reaction score
    My proposal is a rail block that transfers docked entity's from one entity to another.

The idea is a block that is added to the end of a rail on one of the entity's and one on another entity so that the rail systems become one by connecting the 2 blocks by docking.
    This should be easily facilitated by a standard docking system similar to an USD.

The current solutions to this problem require the undocking of an entity and pickup to a different rail system this can cause lag issues on servers as the undocked entity collides with one or both of the entity's.

If this would be added to the game you would be able to make a cargo container transferable from one ship to another ship or station. Or the transfers of fighters from a station to a carrier.

I believe that this would greatly increase the roleplay experience and would add a new level to the game.

Build and destroy with joy.
    Lucforlife

Reactions: Valck and psteiner

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    My proposal is a rail block that transfers docked entity's from one entity to another
    My only worry is how intensive it might be to calculate the transfer from one entity to another. But this is still something I've wanted since not long after rails came out.

Reaction score
    As long as there is a seamless way to transfer docked entities between entities I'll be happy. So many great possibilities with a feature like this.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Like Jake, I have wanted this ability since rails came out. I do remember a mention that Schine was looking to make it possible for rails to work across entities. This idea could be a good way to make it happen.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    My only worry is how intensive it might be to calculate the transfer from one entity to another. But this is still something I've wanted since not long after rails came out.
    I believe I can comment on this.

Checking the transfer itself should be trivial. Since rails are full blocks, checking whether two are exactly aligned is just a matter of adding some integers together. This should be a sneeze. (I'm assuming the entity shall slide between two entities that are already docked to each other in some way)

Checking whether there's room for the sliding entity... It shouldn't be hard. The same system that currently moves items along rails could just be made to move the entity one block past it, if that works, it's instantly re-docked to the other entity's rail.
    [doublepost=1494249319,1494247523][/doublepost]Oh, and- with regards to what is already in the game, what if you combine pickup rails and regular ones?

Suppose a ship is docked to a pickup rail on another ship, that clips perfectly with a regular rail on a third ship. Then, turn the pickup rail upside down, so that the first ship remains docked, but can't re-dock from that side. Then, send a signal to instantly undock the first ship. Now, it should be in the perfect position to contact dock with the third ship, and should do so instantly.

D

Deleted member 678402

I made something like this by docking the the giver and reciever entities together and on another part of the hull they had rails lined up, the giver had a shootout on the end of it's rail and the reciever has a pickup on it's end. worked exaclty like what you're proposing but the entity being transfered was at risk of missing the pickup if the entities were moving, used this method to transfer torpedos from a shipyard to a torpedo bay on one of my bombers.

Reaction score
    I made something like this by docking the the giver and reciever entities together and on another part of the hull they had rails lined up, the giver had a shootout on the end of it's rail and the reciever has a pickup on it's end. worked exaclty like what you're proposing but the entity being transfered was at risk of missing the pickup if the entities were moving, used this method to transfer torpedos from a shipyard to a torpedo bay on one of my bombers.
    This is exactly why I recommend using a new block. Because this way there is a way it will go wrong and it can cause a lag spike on the server.

And maybe it can be used to move ships that were build in a shipyard to be moved of the shipyard anchor to make mass production possible. And it would be awesome to see that a carrier is being loaded at a station while the shipyard is constructing fighters and other sort of ships.

You will be able to make an elaborate loading mechanism and which makes transfers between entity's possible. you will be able to service a wider range of ships.

D

Deleted member 678402

This is exactly why I recommend using a new block. Because this way there is a way it will go wrong and it can cause a lag spike on the server.

And maybe it can be used to move ships that were build in a shipyard to be moved of the shipyard anchor to make mass production possible. And it would be awesome to see that a carrier is being loaded at a station while the shipyard is constructing fighters and other sort of ships.

You will be able to make an elaborate loading mechanism and which makes transfers between entity's possible. you will be able to service a wider range of ships.
    Exactly, it would dramatically decrease the amount of hassle with torpedos becuase I could just dock then turn on the shipyard and forget about it for half an hour instead of having to make an ammo ship and use the method I came up with at the risk of one of the torpedos missing the pick up from lag and destroying the rail and blowing up the other torpedos.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It's a good idea I think. Basically, the game would need to check for the correct adjacent block, then would perform the same check it does for docking. If successful, do the same thing as a shootout rail without the acceleration and then dock to the new ship.

On the chance this introduces bugs I wouldn't put it high on the priority list, but this also seems like a simple enough addition that could also add a lot to the game.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I had this same issue in my experiments. I can do the transfer fine if stationary, so a Station is ok, but on a moving ship it's haphazard.