Programmable Block and Timer (Yes just like SE)

Would you like this In game?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    the title says it all, the reasons I want this feature is because I can do things In game with out moding. I want to write a script that reads output to a display screen to tell me what inventory i have, how much, my power in more detail, read all properties and even set some using the in-game API.

people has done some AMAZING things with display screens and program blocks like radar system, TIMs inventory system, even built a 3d model of your ship/base that displays on the display screen all done with the way it writes to the text.

I can push a button to change what factories are link to what enhancers.. the possibilities are endless... of course have limitation to keep people from exploiting servers, also limits on code size, like 10k lines. and the timer blocks allow tics in time for the script to run, endless, 1 second up to what ever you need.

I know this has been suggested before but its something that keeps me going back to Space engineers!

Reactions: jayman38

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This sounds interesting. I especially like the detail about reading cargo contents. Regular expressions can probably be used to break down cargo contents into whatever format and detail the user desires.

Can you provide additional detail on the following?
    1. Power Detail (what details are we talking about? generation capacity, in addition to current storage capacity readings? Current power usage/drain?)
    2. Properties (faction properties? Thrust distribution properties? Which ones do you want to be able to adjust, other than the afore-mentioned factory enhancers (paragraph 3)?)

Reaction score
    I will let TIM explain what his script does In game of SE: this is copied straight from steam here:
    Steam Workshop :: Taleden's Inventory Manager

"
    OVERVIEW

TIM is an in-game script which can help to automate the management of your inventory and industry. It can sort items into various containers according to your prioritized preferences, make sure your Refineries are always focused on the Ore you need refined most urgently, and manage your Assemblers to keep a balanced supply of Components on hand at all times.

TIM combines and expands on the functionality of three main inspirations: the Automated Inventory Sorting mod and the Crafting Components Quotas and Refinery Manager scripts. TIM offers all of their basic features and more:
    • Sort items into containers with priorities and target quantities just like AIS, but as an in-game script instead of a separate mod, and also with proportional allocation: if there aren't enough Uranium Ingots (for example) to meet every Reactor's target, they'll each get the same percentage of their target instead of allowing one to take more than its share and starve the others.
    • Manage Refinery queues just like RM, but also with smart prioritization: the Ore whose Ingot is most under-quota will always be refined first, possibly by several refineries, to ensure you're never starved for one material while all your Refineries are blindly producing something else.
    • Manage Assembler queues just like CCQ, but without the need for a dedicated Assembler per item and also with flexible, adaptive quotas: in addition to the flat minimum quantity, each item can also have a target percentage of items of that type; this allows the effective quotas to grow as you amass more total items without having to edit your quotas all the time. Plus, all of your blocks' item sorting requests (such as Reactors wanting Uranium, weapons wanting ammo, etc) count as implicit quotas, so if you build more Reactors and set their fuel requests, that will automatically cause your Refineries to prioritize Uranium as needed to keep all your Reactors fueled.
    • Display summaries of your inventory on text Panels just like AIS and many LCD scripts, but also with knowledge of all the other parts of the unified system: progress bars are based on the item's "effective quota" which is the highest of its minimum, percentage and implicit quotas, and there's a column to show how many Refineries or Assemblers are currently assigned to that item.
    • Configure everything with tags in block names, but also with greater convenience and compatibility: you can use abbreviations for any item type (as long as they're un-ambiguous), you can have TIM re-write your tags in standard format to help make clear which rules have been understood correctly and which need to be corrected, and you can use a unique prefix to identify the tags TIM should parse, to avoid conflicting with any other mods that also require tags in block names.
      "
    [doublepost=1502938894,1502938775][/doublepost]Here is another sample for Power! and much more data right to your screen: "Automatic LCDs 2"
    Steam Workshop :: Automatic LCDs 2

Manages multiple LCDs based on commands written in LCD Custom Data.
    • Jump drives charge display
    • Oxygen pressure, farms output & tanks content!
    • Damaged blocks list with progress bars!
    • Filtered inventory items listing & missing items listing
    • Reactor, solar & battery power stats
    • Block details display
    • Doors, gears & connectors status
    • Ammo report
    • Custom scrolling text display
    • Linked LCDs!
    • Works on LCD, Wide LCD, text panels and their modded counterparts!
    • Any font size!
    • Filter blocks by name or by group
    • Cargo space
    • Block count
    • Producing, Idle & Enabled summary / list
    • Laser antenna status
    • Stopping distance and stopping time
    • Location, Speed, Acceleration, Date & Time, Gravity
    • Nicely formatted text with progress bars!
    • Multiple commands in single LCD!
    [doublepost=1502940085][/doublepost]the core is already in place for most of this so I would enter the program block and there is a in-game editor and I can save it, or go to the steam workshop to download others and load it. then I go to the timer block and adjust the time setting on when I want the script to run, and I drag the timer block and the code to the hot bar (like we do already with other things) the timer will trigger and run the code.

so for example, lets say I want to set up a red alert system with my lights, I have red and white lights, but all of the red ones are off. I set the program to target all lights on the ship/station. I then have a timer block set to run when triggered. now I set up a button and press C on the timer block and V on the button. now when I press the button, the timer will trigger the script (for what ever seconds I put on timer) and now all the white lights shut off and the red lights start to flash on and off every 2 seconds or what ever I set it to.

now I can drag that button or remote block to my hot bar while flying the ship, I am ready to use it :D or even better, the script will always be running and when it detects a enemy from the 'N' key display, it will trigger the red alert!

this is such a small scale of what can be done.