Power outage resets all config files

Koloss_Meshuggah

Resident Wall Flower
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    While I was playing starmade, my power cord got disconnected and my computer blacked out. I got the computer back on and started up starmade again. All of the settings in both server.cfg and settings.cfg were reset, and all of my worlds are now corrupted.

Just thought I'd report this. How can that even happen ? Why would a black out erase files ? Wouldn't it just be the same as a crash ?

Edit: all of my blueprints are fine.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Head crash - Wikipedia
    Induction coil - Wikipedia
    If you suddenly cut power to an induction coil (like what's in most PC PSU) you cause a back EMF surge which can cause all sorts of weird things. If the read/write had happened to be above the location of config files it could have caused a sudden EMF surge which wiped the area, or a head-crash from the solenoids in the HDD getting that same surge. Solid-State HDD can have a similar "local wipe" depending on what register was being accessed at the time.

if the files were missing or corrupt, starmade would have replaced them with the defaults automatically.

That would be my guess. You should run chkdisk to see if it actually was a head crash; there could be other stuff that was wiped/corrupted.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    i wouldnt worry about a head crash on a HDD in case of a power outage.
    The head floats on an air cushion and in case of a power loss the head is moved into a parking position.
    however ... all the files associated with running the universe are open and not closed and saved when the game gets terminated due to an poweroutage. that probably causes the corruption when you then try to restart it next time.
    do you get an error message on load of the universe .. or is it timing out ?
    there may be a way to make it start again by deleting a few files and make the game recreate them on start.