Post your concepts!

Discussion in 'Fan Art/Screenshots' started by Brokengauge, Jul 2, 2017.

Tags:
    1. Brokengauge

I know a lot of ppl are postponing any fancy builds until the systems update. I'm not, but my problem is that I can't spend a lot of time in game and so build progress suffers. You know what I CAN do? Make plans!

I started out just building on the fly. That worked fine while I was figuring out the game but as time went on I discovered I needed to put a bit more forethought into things.

I was wondering what kind of concept art the rest of you do, and how closely what you've built matches it.

I'll start:
      A small war sloop
      IMAG0469.jpg IMAG0470.jpg starmade-screenshot-0165.png

And a destroyer
      IMAG0388.jpg starmade-screenshot-179.png
      --- Updated post (merge), Jul 2, 2017, Original Post Date: Jul 2, 2017 ---
      Some planned but not yet started projects:
      An "older" frigate, like my IronHead but simpler and smaller.
      IMAG0610.jpg

A heavy cruiser. I feel it's too thin, so I will work on this design more before I attempt it.
      IMAG0418.jpg

A light cruiser. I really like this shape, and it's next to start once I finish one of my current builds.
      IMAG0459.jpg

This is an idea for a rival faction to my "outlands" group. Whereas the outlands are very industrial and WWII inspired, I wanted these to be more about efficiency.
      IMAG0428.jpg IMAG0427.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    2. The_Owl

The_Owl Alpha is not an excuse

Plan.png

Yes this was a plan.
      Yes this was in paint.
      Yes i have no idea why i did this.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. jayman38

jayman38 Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore

project_achilles_sample1.png

Edit:
      Oh yeah, and how that kind of plan turns out....

leopard_drawing_sample1.png

Result:

leopard_topfrontright_nohud_small.png

#3 jayman38, Jul 2, 2017
      Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
      • Like Like x 5
    4. Captain_Stripes

I got all my concepts from an old dead mod for a game. Obviously inspired by Starship Troopers. I wasn't intending to have these posted until all the ships were complete and I could make a shipyard thread. However, the power system change has made completion of these ships impossible until its released. These are not all the ships im working on for this fleet but here is a good chunk of them.

• Like Like x 2
    5. EMC007

EMC007 The guy who's always in way over his head

These are all so much nicer than mine it's sad.

Granted I did these while I was bored and had nothing else to do (but couldn't play starmade), but still, the concepts above actually look like someone TRIED to make them look nice.

Here's one I did a while ago for my titan that I have yet to build:

IMG_0990.JPG

You get what I mean? Looks like a kid drew it. That was a year ago I made this.

Here's another I did more recently:

IMG_0991.JPG

Got some fun names there. Whether or not I'll ever build that stationary gun or that asymmetrical ship is up in the air at the moment. But it's always fun to make them up.
      Anyways. I have more but they're all in such poor condition I'm not sure I should even put them here.

Cool seeing other peoples' concepts though, makes me wish I had drawn these more nicely.

6. Brokengauge

Cool concepts! Looking like a "kid drawing" isn't so bad. Just a couple years ago my own drawings were little more than basic geometric shapes! lpl

I noticed a marked improvement in my own drawings once I switched to graph paper. This also helped keep the ships proportional in game to how I drew them as I could do some basic maths to work out the dimensions. Like 1 grid square is actually 5 blocks, or a 1:5 ratio, which I would write on the drawing (cuz my memory is horrendous lol)

7. EMC007

EMC007 The guy who's always in way over his head

Huh. That's actually a good idea. I have tons of graph paper, I'm not sure why I never used it for this before.

Thanks for the advice!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Brokengauge

Some new early concepts, before I sketch them out on graph paper. This is more a rough "general idea" type of sketch.

IMAG0676.jpg IMAG0673.jpg IMAG0671.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    9. Sachys

Sachys Hermit.

While my "build block" thread isnt directly relevant, it does have some stuff on concepting, so may be of interest to some of you: Solutions to "Build Block" / Creative Block

(have also linked this thread there as its relevant to that).

• Like Like x 1
    10. JinM

Old 1:10 scale concept model of a once planned carrier:
      Clipboard015646.png
      Pipes are big turrets, lights are small ones, the dark grey stuff are plex doors and would have been hangar doors. Red would have been docked reactors (old system). Orange blocks resemble the turret cores and axis. The rail docks are the places where the usd would have been placed. Inside you see yellow forcefields, those are actually walkways. The insde walkways and stuff were fully laid out, including reactor room, stairways and elevators. The core is where the cic would have been.

#10 JinM, Aug 4, 2017
      Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
      • Like Like x 3
    11. Sachys

Sachys Hermit.

I don't normally do pixel art, but have been playing with it recently, so heres something i did while messing around with PyxelEdit earlier:

drone-pixel-test-1.jpg

Turned out to be a good little learning experience, and pretty handy - can even tell where the AMS will be.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Asmodium

I took this from my Concept folder witch i made on ms paint last year i have 20 more pages of different races and designs I've been working on them sense 1994 was hoping to eventually make them part of a game making my dream come true :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    13. JinM

I try to make a station for my basic ressource manufacturing needs. I want that it produces me all blocks I need for spamming corvettes and stuff.

Scale 3 blocks= 25m, 1 block 8-9m.

Green are walkways, grey are either rooms or, in the upper right case, a landing platform. The scafold is for later exansion where I place another hangar.

The other picture is from the back and the last one is showing the other concepts.
      starmade-screenshot-1184.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    14. Guard13007

Very much love the ideas of doing prototypes as scaled models within the game. I've done that a grand total of once long ago, and should really go back to it.

15. JinM

It's great when it's more about "where goes what room" or for turret layouts. Often people just build ships and want a cool design, and then it's better to actually draw than to use the blocks.

16. NagasGuardian

These are concepts and sprites in different stages of completeness. Forgive my references. Sprites work.png Concept.png Fleshed out.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    17. Star-Boy

Not really concept art or a sketch but one of my old ships was definitely a concept ship.
      81XHSBa.png
      kDHMyxd.png
      The 8 floating spheres were rapid fire cannon turrets with 360 degrees of movement and 2 million power each in the days when the soft cap was 1 million e/s. This thing used to rip titans to shreds in seconds because it's weapons were so overpowered at the time. The middle bit was a star with a gyroscope circling it which looked pretty neat.

#17 Star-Boy, Mar 13, 2018
      Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
      • Like Like x 3
    18. Captain Skwidz

Whoa is that thing up for download? That's one of the coolest ship designs I've seen.

19. yoyo2901

yoyo2901 Meatshield

[​IMG] planning of my carrier

20. Star-Boy

My only copy is on an old hard drive that may or may not even work. I've been meaning to try and hook it up to my computer to see if I can salvage some of my old ships but they might be lost forever. This ship was neat at the time but is a terribly outdated design and it would probably be better to simply rebuild it from scratch.

• Like Like x 1