Possible fix for stabilizers

Reaction score
    I just got the new Pre-release version, and the new stabilizers suck (not to mention the fact that the devs removed my favorite blocks for decoration--capacitors and jump modules). I have an idea that would combat islands, dumbbells, and spaghettis.

Instead of requiring stabilizers to be a specific distance away, why not require reactors to be within a certain distance of stabilizers? The stabilizers are pretty much (conceptually) there to prevent the reactors from exploding in a cataclysmic fireball, so they should be within a close proximity of the reactors to keep them from exploding, etc.

Basically, you place down a stabilizer or group of stabilizers, and this gives you an area within a certain distance away from said stabilizer(s) in which you can effectively place reactors. Going outside the stabilizers' area, while not impossible, will compromise the integrity of the reactors, and should any unstable reactors be hit, boom.

This pretty much eliminates spaghetti entirely because you can't place the reactors in thin lines any more. Dumbbells go poof because there is no longer an advantage in keeping groups of reactors and stabilizers far apart. And, lastly, it's sayonara (pardon my incorrect romaji) islands because there is no advantage of keeping various parts of the ship separate any longer.

Please feel free to comment and make suggestions!

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    That would be weird. Also that probably wouldn't get rid of dumbbells and islands because that's simply changing reactor and stabilizer placement resulting in reactor bits (or fragments, whatever you want to call them) or other odd things like reactor rings. The rings don't sound so bad but could be difficult to build anyways. Since you're placing reactors based on stabilizer position that would still result in islands.

Reaction score
    That would be weird. Also that probably wouldn't get rid of dumbbells and islands because that's simply changing reactor and stabilizer placement resulting in reactor bits (or fragments, whatever you want to call them) or other odd things like reactor rings. The rings don't sound so bad but could be difficult to build anyways. Since you're placing reactors based on stabilizer position that would still result in islands.
    Not necessarily. While they would still likely occur, the advantages of creating them goes away. Why have your reactors and cores in several separate groups when you can have them in a single, more efficient, larger group?

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    Not necessarily. While they would still likely occur, the advantages of creating them goes away. Why have your reactors and cores in several separate groups when you can have them in a single, more efficient, larger group?
    Because it depends on the way mechanics are set up. With the old system spaghetti was more efficient. The new one was (and maybe somewhat is) best used in dumbbells and islands. With those mechanics a single group works but may not be efficient. Fortunately the power update hasn't been made full release yet and there is still some margin for improvement.

Reaction score
    it would basically do the exact opposite of what the devs wanted to achive with the distance....

they wanted to get ppl to build their ships with empty space so they forced this distance to make ships bigger...

if they would do what you suggest it would instead encourage the old "pack your ship full of systems and make it as small as possible..." style of building.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    it would basically do the exact opposite of what the devs wanted to achive with the distance....

they wanted to get ppl to build their ships with empty space so they forced this distance to make ships bigger...

if they would do what you suggest it would instead encourage the old "pack your ship full of systems and make it as small as possible..." style of building.
    They really need to find a better mechanic than this one dimensional mess if they want to encourage "empty space" (No idea why on earth you would want empty space though..., could be filled with Decour, Systems, Rails or Fighter bays)

If the devs want me to build my ship with "Empty Space" By hell I'll do it!

The more empty space I have the MOAR free power I get :D I do not see how this could be in anyway broken :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'll buy 10 of theses ships.
    If you care to pay an extra 50% I'll even disguise each System Rod as a seperate ship!
    That way you can use it on all servers without issue!
    "Wow! Look at that cool fleet flying past. I would never have gussed it was Spaghetti envloved!"

Reaction score
    (No idea why on earth you would want empty space though..., could be filled with Decour, Systems, Rails or Fighter bays)
    exactly for these things you need empty space (where "empty space" stands for space in your ship not filled to the brim with system blocks)

but i think you already know that and are just moking...

Reaction score
    If you care to pay an extra 50% I'll even disguise each System Rod as a seperate ship!
    That way you can use it on all servers without issue!
    "Wow! Look at that cool fleet flying past. I would never have gussed it was Spaghetti envloved!"
    Deal.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    What I would recommend is make it so that the reactor and stabilizers have to be meshed together. It might look something like this.

RRR
    R
    SR
    RRR

The stabilizer in this example has an area of effect of 3x3 and is stabilizing the reactors around it, thus you have 100% efficiency. Now if you did this.

RRRRR
    RRR
    SR
    RRRRR

You would not have 100% efficiency and would need to add more stabilizers.
    This won't solve death cubes, but the best idea for nerfing them is NPC crew.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    exactly for these things you need empty space (where "empty space" stands for space in your ship not filled to the brim with system blocks)

but i think you already know that and are just moking...
    Yeah, I'm just poking fun at the devs :P Since they hardly ever post here anymore it's not like thwy'll read it.