Recognized "Point at" navigation key

Reaction score
    Having a "largeish" ship means that it takes fooooooor eeeeveeeer to turn. The ship I just built is IMHO "medium-size", and it takes me like 15 seconds and scraping the mouse against my desk about 30 times to get it to point to what I want it to (while not moving).

I'd like a single keyboard key that would simply do that. I target something, and then press and keep pressed that key, until the ship points at the target. That's it; no "turn boost" or whatever (although those would be nice too); just a more "ergonomic" way of pointing ships in a specific direction. It would be nice if it was also possible to point at a navigation point (maybe when nothing is targeted?).

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    very good suggestion. I 100% agree.
    I think that turning will get some attention with the thrust mechanics update after the cargo update.

:)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    10/10. Also the possibility of having you align to an object if you have it selected would be nice as well, if you're docking sometimes it's nice to be able to align to what you're trying to dock to so you don't miss the first time around or look silly fine-tuning it.

Reaction score
    10/10. Also the possibility of having you align to an object if you have it selected would be nice as well, if you're docking sometimes it's nice to be able to align to what you're trying to dock to so you don't miss the first time around or look silly fine-tuning it.
    I completely agree with this.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I was just about to reply that having a button to match rotation with something would be nice xD

Reaction score
    Wouldn't it be better to have the button switch the rotational pointer between relative and non-relative movement, like in elite dangerous where you have non-relative as the default;
    You move the mouse to a point on the screen and the ship will continue to rotate in the direction of the mouse from the centre until you move the mouse to another point.
    and then relative as optional;
    You move the mouse to a point on the screen and the ship will rotate to that point rather than in the direction of that point.

That way if you are holding the button you can select the ship in you nav menu then move the mouse over to the targeted marker, as soon as the rotation pointer is on the ship you want to point at you release the relative/non-relative button and you ship will center in on the pointer.
    This stops you from having constantly scrape the mouse along your desk, as well as meaning you don't have to go to the nav menu to rotate your ship, you can simply hold the button and move the mouse over to a targets radar ping then release the butotn when the mouse is on the target.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I figure the simplest most effective way to do this is to have a key guide your ship or what you're driving in (or maybe even your own self) to face towards your target. No extra bits and bobs required.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I think once thrusters are being looked at this would be the best time to work on this. Probably not hard from a programming standpoint.

Reactions: Rixxan
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    A little late to the party but I also want to say a thousand times yes to this!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ...What about combat, though? If we're flying fighters, couldn't someone just hold the key and stay perfectly locked onto their target? I fully support a relative/nonrelative aim mode option, but this... I dunno about this.

Reaction score
    ...What about combat, though? If we're flying fighters, couldn't someone just hold the key and stay perfectly locked onto their target? I fully support a relative/nonrelative aim mode option, but this... I dunno about this.
    I would say don't let the key be held. Give it a minimum time between activation. Or only allow it to work if the select hot bar is a docker or core.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Don't we just fly in circles already locked onto each other?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Don't we just fly in circles already locked onto each other?
    Sort of, sometimes, when there isn't a significant difference in thrust. However manually aiming at one another (which tends to be imprecise sometimes) and being auto-oriented to one another are two completely different things.