Please Disagree With My Own Review About Starmade

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This isn't actually a review at all... I lied.

I said that just because i'm frustrated with how people disagree. I'm not claiming to be *in the right* either. A problem i'm having, is that I'm still trying to understand my frustration, and I've yet to reconcile it. So it's entirely possible that there is no argument to be had here. It's just expression. Me, shouting in the void.

There are reasons for people disagreeing, Some of which are valid. But I guess there's just something upsetting for me when people just say "no" and nothing more than that. Which is why I sometimes hate seeing the "disagree" button; even if it is there for any good reason.

I'm hard-pressed to understand the flaws in my ideas, and I don't get any of that from the public. I consider disagreeing important. But then, I end up not learning anything. I give myself more valuable feedback than the entire public it feels like.

In this case, it weakens my desire to collaborate on ideas. It seems people would rather discourage an idea than to problem solve. The result that I may often get, is that *something is wrong, because it is wrong*. And I don't learn from that kind of lesson.

I guess... this mostly boils down to me having difficulty engaging in curiosity, in a public setting. I understand that giving useful feedback is difficult, and that my personal struggle might just be the natural way of things. What do I do? Nothing of course, carry on as I always have.

G

GDPR 302420

Hostility I
    What drugs are you on and can I have some?

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Pot to english translation:
    -Can people please provide constructive criticism rather than screeching like autistic baboons as it makes it hard to get anything done.

Reactions: Agame3 and Thingie
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    To understand what you are saying;
    You feel that your having trouble getting feedback on your ideas? Or that players aren't being constructive and helpful?

If you have any questions we are more than happy to help, most ideas needs polishing and giving constructive feedback is important.
    Unfortuantly some people just can't be bothered trying to be constructive and just sprout the same retorhic every post. However by far there are a lot of helpful and constructive players out there. Developing your writting style and learning how to convey infomation to others is also a very valuable skill you can learn.
    Are there any posts of yours you'd like us to give feedback/discuss :?

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Philosophy aside; if I understand correctly, he wants to hear the reasons behind a disagreement over an idea; preferably with a well thought out alternative rather than the usual "no... that idea sucks" with no further explanation behind it; as is often the case.

To be honest, that's really not too much to ask for. Over the past two years, I've seen a fair amount of promising discussions end for the reason he states.

Tell us Livaria, what's really on your mind?

Reactions: Winterhome

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    baguette!? baguette!? how dare you take away my f
    cking ability to swear at things!

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    <dissenting opinion followed by elitist remark here>
    <with a chart>

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Yea, not a fan of the disagree button myself. I would much rather know what people are disagreeing with, specifically, and why.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Honestly, I have yet to find a handful of situations where I'd use the disagree rating. I'd much rather start a conversation to better understand another person's POV than throw a symbol at them and leave.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I feel your pain. I mostly get disagreed with(on suggestions, not usually just posts), even before the disagree button existed. Very few people tend to leave any constructive feedback, so I just don't post ideas, or do so rarely knowing that someone will disagree then everyone else will too because someone popular did. Apparently we're just not good enough to make suggestions and be taken seriously. I disagree with the disagree button too, as it leaves no room for feedback if that's all that's used. I'm certain people will disagree with this, and I'd like to go on record saying that I disagree with anyone who agrees with this, simply because I disagree with that.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    The only thing I can disagree on is "It seems people would rather discourage an idea than to problem solve." It's been a while since I've seen something new and original but when I noticed one of those ideas it seemed that it was either ignored (sometimes) or commented on by interested people. The thing that I notice being discouraged the most is doom cubes and I'm sure you'd agree with that. Maybe.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    On the other hand, if someone makes a deserving suggestion I very much approve of them being called a fucking idiot.

G

GDPR 302420

You are currently able to "Agree" with a post without having to state why, it makes sense to be able to do the same with "Disagree" ratings.

However, I agree with the op in that if you are to write a post to explain your disagreement, make it constructive and I believe most on this forum are doing a decent job with it already.

But as Calhoun already said, if someone makes an idiotic post, then I would see no issue with that someone being called an idiot.

EDIT: Modsquad pls no censor muh words :u

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You can already just post insulting memes on their thread imo. Do we really need to rub salt in their wounds:?

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Most discussions and arguments here are just a competition on who can scroll bomb the hardest and make the most bold or italic (my personal favorite due to words;page efficiency) statements. Disagree is a really nice alternative to another mostly cyclical argument that gets nowhere and gets bogged down by heated words and misinformation, nty really.

If this were a debate team in high school then sure, remove the rating and let em take it to the bike racks or wherever kids do the fisticuffs these days. But iirc Disagree rating was added specifically because idiots like us think their anonymous online heel digging competitions are WAY more important than they actually are.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've seen lots of suggestions buried when popular players disagreed with specifics in a calculation or some other really insignificant detail of the suggestion. They don't provide an alternative method/calculation to replace the faulty one. They just disagree, and that's that.

This doesn't include suggestions that seem to get under-commented or ignored altogether for whatever reason.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Sooo... what's with all the food references these days? Sandwiches? Baguette? Pizza? Are the mods censoring people nowadays? In that case, stop swearing so much, you're making me hungry.
    Wpkmg_s-200x150.gif