Please CIR, push for a solid FACTION MEMBER CONTROL

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am here to make a petition,

If I understood correctly, the Council of International Representatives has an influence on the dev roadmap. If that's the case, I'd like to make you aware of the urgency of a reliable way of controling ones faction members:

Right now, recruiting a stranger for your faction is exposing your homebase to a potential griefer, that's why most factions stick to themselves and have trouble recruiting new people. There should be a system to let people be part of faction but don't give them the potential to screw things up or we will not be able to build any solid communities (therefore lowering the playerbase of Starmade significantly). If this doesn't happen, small factions will (as it's happening now) just get bored and die off since the game doesn't invite them to recruit new people and have a great time together (after all, this game is to be played with other people, not alone).

Thanks for your voluntary work! We citizens appreciate it a lot.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Yes! Hopefully something like this will be implemented when a patch full of faction goodies is delivered to us by The Cat. I wouldn't mind if they do it a bit earlier.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The faction module doesn't work? I only play local so far, but I thought the Faction Module provided a bit of control over who could build on a faction base.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The faction module doesn't work? I only play local so far, but I thought the Faction Module provided a bit of control over who could build on a faction base.
    It does, but it doesn't control who can use blocks. A nooby newb can still steal all your stuff or change your signs to all say "420 SWAG YOLO LOLOLOL".

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Faction permissions use to be a lot worse than they are now COUGHbradleyCOUGH

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I thought the current faction thingies allowed you to set the minimum rank for members needed to interact with things. If the problem is untrustworthy noobs, then dont like them edit the base or fly the bigger ships. It does need expanding, but I figured it had enough to prevent most major issues (changing signs is a minor troll at best).

Also, I don't believe the council has any real power to shove the Devs in a certain direction. Honestly if the council had the power to harass schema to focus on X instead of Y, I can't see why it would have ever been created. Could be wrong, but I dont think they have the power you think they do.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I thought the current faction thingies allowed you to set the minimum rank for members needed to interact with things.
    Exactly, so you either give them full acess or you give them none. If a new recruit can access a building (even if it's the "noob area") he can destroy it, so basically we're at the same situation as before, you have to make a leap of faith. There should be a middle ground, where you don't have to fear for your homebase and at the same time you're not depriving the recruit of basic needs all players have.

I bet the devs have already thought out a way to make this more usable, I just think (and I think most of the community agrees) that it should be prioritized.

EDIT: And about the CIR being powerless to change the roadmap by themselves, you're totally right, that's why they need the community's support to propose things to the devs.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    EDIT: And about the CIR being powerless to change the roadmap by themselves, you're totally right, that's why they need the community's support to propose things to the devs.
    Proposal only applies if it is not already planned. I think the main reason the roadmap is so empty is that their they are trying to only show a short cue, or they are too busy working to actually fill it up. Would be nice to see it filled up a bit more though.

And there is a slightly working workaround for all access or none, but that would involve rail'd doors, quite a space for those doors and probably a pile of permission modules (Though I suppose that would be pointless, Tab-f6 and all).

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I wasn't aware of this, where did you read that?
    Well, to my knowledge the council presents ideas to Schine in proposals, which they consider and may absorb into their plans for the game. If they are already planning to improve on faction permissions and organization, then just proposing the topic is redundant. They would need ideas or concepts to toss around and compare to really add to the plan.

Talking with devs in chat over the months, faction organization isn't a big a topic as say warfare, but it does come up every so often. It's one of those things that they know need improvements (you'd have to be crazy to think it is fine as is). Plus both comr4de and Keptick are big into PvP and factions, so I doubt they would let it get neglected anyways.

Maybe I am just babbling, but instead of just saying "we need this", you could try a suggestion thread with some ideas on how to improve it instead.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Here is a solution so a lot of this can go on a back burner. First when you say only rank x can access the object make that actually true.
    Then make faction permission blocks actually that and not this "public access block", give them the rank settings.

I am certain that almost this exact suggestion has been made countless times, and the "permission block" exist for a reason that is clearly not its current state. I know there are a lot of suggestion people have for factions, but this will at least boost security substantially.

I understand the OP and feel that the council should take a look at discussing this, and that we as a community need to show interest and discussion in this.

Edit: Any faction leaders here? How many of you guys have a docked little box named like "command" permanently attached to the inside of your HQ just so you can have a safe place for items?
    That alone shows that the most secure thing a faction should have "HQ" is not secure at all.

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    For the record, I support moving this up near the top of the priority list IF AND ONLY IF it doesn't take too much time to implement, which it shouldn't.

Reactions: Lidren

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    FYI, an easy solution to some of these kinds of problems is to put newbie area stuff on a docked platform with different permissions, while the main homebase is locked for them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    FYI, an easy solution to some of these kinds of problems is to put newbie area stuff on a docked platform with different permissions, while the main homebase is locked for them.
    They won't be able to delete your whole base but they would be able to delete your newbie area, so kind of the same problem. Either you have full power over an entity or you have absolutely zero. One solution (not saying that it's the best) is that there could be different kinds of permissions (open certain doors/access certain storages/edit entities/etc).

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    They won't be able to delete your whole base but they would be able to delete your newbie area, so kind of the same problem. Either you have full power over an entity or you have absolutely zero. One solution (not saying that it's the best) is that there could be different kinds of permissions (open certain doors/access certain storages/edit entities/etc).
    Yeah, it's definitely got problems, but it's still better than losing everything. I would love to be able to restrict certain things until a higher level.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The best solution I have found to keeping people of lower rank out of an area without digging holes in a wall is to use the fact that exiting a build block puts you above it, so you can use two of them as an "officer door" to get deeper into the station.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Thats a pretty neat idea as long as they don't use the build blocks / can't

Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I have tried this. they can access all storages regardless of what rank they are. they can open doors everything except enter the build block.
    The closest way i have found is to hide all storage blocks deep in the station with no space around, and then name it. After which enter build block and acess cargo..

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Uhhhh My faction has no issues at all recruiting... Its called having good admins and permissions set up. People can still access chests and factories if you disallow a set rank to access a sturcture.

As for the good admins who take backups every night and will ban any player who deletes your homebase they are always nice.

Sure you can have everything in the world in terms of stopping people from taking your ships atc but at the end of the day it will happen for one reason or another maybe a high rank got pissed or someone joined and waited to do it.

When it does happen it's up to how good the admins on said server are in order to save yourself alot of pain.

Now ofc as a faction leader with 12 people currently on genxnova i'd love this but i don't think i'd like to delay other features just to have more options.

To me its all about taking risks and investing. Sometimes it goes wrong and thats why we have admins around

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Uhhhh My faction has no issues at all recruiting... Its called having good admins and permissions set up. People can still access chests and factories if you disallow a set rank to access a sturcture.

As for the good admins who take backups every night and will ban any player who deletes your homebase they are always nice.

Sure you can have everything in the world in terms of stopping people from taking your ships atc but at the end of the day it will happen for one reason or another maybe a high rank got pissed or someone joined and waited to do it.

When it does happen it's up to how good the admins on said server are in order to save yourself alot of pain.

Now ofc as a faction leader with 12 people currently on genxnova i'd love this but i don't think i'd like to delay other features just to have more options.

To me its all about taking risks and investing. Sometimes it goes wrong and thats why we have admins around
    Server Admins are never supposed to be part of faction business.
    If one is to get robbed, it's his own fault.