player count

Reaction score
    I wondered if there's a way to see current/daily/monthly player counts just to see activity in the game.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    That's not really possible. All servers (besides the official starmade server, and I've never even really seen that one so I'm not sure) are owned by individuals and are not operated by Schine. You could use the forums as an indication however.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You could probably collect data from the public servers list.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Schine has the numbers, since they can obtain them from steam. There's also the fact that you must authenticate to play on servers and such, so that's a pretty good indication of numbers. I doubt that they'd make the numbers public though.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That's not really possible. All servers (besides the official starmade server, and I've never even really seen that one so I'm not sure) are owned by individuals and are not operated by Schine. You could use the forums as an indication however.
    There are countless people on the forums who stopped playing starmade yet seem to still be around.... and others who play in SP only.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    There are countless people on the forums who stopped playing starmade yet seem to still be around.... and others who play in SP only.
    And that's part of the issue. It's rather difficult for a layman to figure that number.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Schine has the numbers, since they can obtain them from steam. There's also the fact that you must authenticate to play on servers and such, so that's a pretty good indication of numbers. I doubt that they'd make the numbers public though.
    Actually i really would like to see these numbers on a timescale next to the release of patches... just saying that would be an interesting schematic. but yeah why should the releasethe numbers when the game is not even officially released. i mean .

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Actually i really would like to see these numbers on a timescale next to the release of patches... just saying that would be an interesting schematic.
    It would be nice if the game server did store such metrics, and there was an option in the server.cfg to "send usage data to Schine", so there was a global statistical database - then you could see something like this, but on a global scale, and you'd be able to break it down by country, too.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I doubt that'd really work. Many people will not send any data, many servers will stay private. I am not even sure if Steam actually provides anything close to player number estimation - for example, the people I know outside of the online communities play StarMade through non-Steam client, me included.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Steam has nothing to do with Starmade. It's just a vendor in this case, like going to wal-mart.

However, sending usage data to Schine could work, voluntarily. There is already the player protection uplink, statistics could be pulled from that.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Steam has nothing to do with Starmade. It's just a vendor in this case, like going to wal-mart.

However, sending usage data to Schine could work, voluntarily. There is already the player protection uplink, statistics could be pulled from that.
    i am sure schine does that i mean why not