Bug Planets not fully generating.

Reaction score
    since the last update planets dont seem to generate beyond a certain size for me. planets generated befor the update load fine. but any new planets i approach dont generate beyond a certain point. iv tried changing every setting i could find like veiw segments (max distance 20,000) and adding ramm, but nothing seemed to work. i also tryed increasing the planet sizes in the Config but they always generate all the plates to the seemingly same limited size.

so is there some setting i am missing? iv not changed anything since before the update. or is this a new bug?

here are a couple of pics.

smaller earth like planet

and here is a much larger planet after increasing their size through the config.

If you look closely both planets have about the same size plates loaded/generated. its also not a matter of "waiting for the rest to load" i can land on the segments and everything just fine. its the planet generation that isnt finishing. i know this because when i put max segments to minimum (100) id get very little terrain visible (as expected) but always within the same boundries of those limited plates. so i can just walk off the edge and fall straight to the planet core.

Thanks ahead for any help.

Edit to add: while researching this issue i came across this bug report ( http://bugs.star-made.org/issues/542 ) while i have not had ships sink through segments or anything like that. if i fly my ship max speed into a planet core my ship will get stuck. and i have found no way to free it. (i am still able to exit the ship core and get out of the planet cores surface by pressing up)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I just registered to report this very same issue. I get the exact same thing.

Reaction score
    thanks for confirming im not alone timrath. (and welcome to the forums) do they generate to more or less the same size as shown in the images i posted? bigger? smaller?

can one more person confirm this happens to them? and i will write up a bug report. or can someone confirm the opposite? that they are able to fully generate a large planet? (regardless of load times and what have you, as we know they aren't optimized yet)

because if everyones planets are only generating plates of a specific size, then its definitely a bug. but if some people are able to generate them and others not. then it may be a settings or hardware issue. thanks again.

Reaction score
    My planets are a bit smaller. The size and shape of the "continental shelves" are identical to yours, while the sizes of the planetary cores vary.

Reaction score
    I have been experiencing this exact problem. I tried a lot of stuff: reinstalling, deleting the planets out of the server database, blowing up the planet core, forcing sector refreshes, and adjusting planet size in the server.cfg file. Which finally takes me here in frustrated desperation.

Reaction score
    I also checked about 2 dozen different planets and all of them were spawning like this.

Reaction score
    ok, thanks for the feedback guys. i just finished registering and reporting this as a bug on the official bug tracker. its logged as bug #732

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Put that bug in queue and on a higher priority (game breaking for servers, all newly found planets will be broken), the planet segments are 112 long and wide, 7 chunks in each direction so it seems something went wrong badly.
    Thanks for reporting this issue.

Reaction score
    and thank you for confirming we arent crazy :p since this got such little response i was worried it would get rejected and it was something funky on our ends, like maybe turns out we all have the same incompatible video card or something. i guess not a lot of people are playing around on planets lately. i for one look forward to building my first planetary fortress! >: D