Planets, Capital Ships, and General Suggestions

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    First let me start by introducing myself. My name is Corey, I'm a Content Director for a management and consulting firm and I absolutely love this game. I play nearly everyday, and when I'm not I can't help but think about the ship I'm currently building. I love the customization of it, the way the game rewards both form and function, and that almost every time I get on there is a new update. You've done some great work schema, please don't let this fall by the wayside, there's just too much potential! You may have some competition, but no other game out or being developed has the feel, or customization of Starmade.
    With that said, I have a couple of ideas for this game way down the road (some way out of the ballpark) for later on down the road. Some are in the form of questions to stimulate the thought process. Feel free to shoot them down, speculate on them, or use them. I'll try to keep this post updated!

• Scale: How big do you plan on making the arena in Starmade? Will it feature maps with different scenarios/planets/space station? Or will it be one big map? I love the idea of flying from one planet to another, or perhaps one day one star system to another.
      I want to be able to fly to another planet, destroy a huge piece of it, and fly back knowing that anyone who came by will see the destruction I caused.

• Atmospheres/Planetary Gravity: If/when planets are implemented, I would love to see some type of atmosphere effect when approaching the surface to give the feeling of being on the planet. If it's possible, the physics of the space ship should change due to gravity and friction. This physics system isn't at all necessary as I understand the amount of work this feature would undertake.

• Free-For-All/Teams: Now in the current version I understand the need for teams, but I propose instead of choosing "green" or "blue," players are dumped into the world with no affiliation. This will lead to individuals grouping up on their own merits and lead to clans, factions, and further organization as individuals lay claim to different area of space. This game has so much potential for individual expression and freedom. If this were the case, groups could work together on building huge space stations, capital ships, and bases. These factions could declare war on each other leading to organized large scale battles. I feel the current system limits creativity and organization as players are rewarded for building the smallest, quickest ship leaving capital ships and frigates out of place.

• Servers: I feel like a semi-persistent world will also help alleviate the problem mentioned above. I want to see groups of people working on a capital ship, logging off, and coming back on to continue. Building larger ships and the future space stations takes hours and days to complete. The current system of saving the blueprint to your unfinished ship and logging off, only to then logging back in, wait till you have enough credits to afford your half-built ship, and buy it, is inefficient. To rectify this I feel like either the server must maintain all the creations built in it a la minecraft, spawn you in the server with your ships already in your inventory, or spawn your ships with you when you enter the server. I think allowing the player to continue their work while maintaining continuity between servers/single player is essential to the longevity of this game. I may not be speaking for everyone, but I find it frustrating that I'm discouraged from building larger ships in the current system.

• Storing Ships: Another solution to this problem is to develop a system for storing your creations. Lets say for instance I'm finished working on a Fighter 1 and I am about to start building Frigate 1. As I finish Fighter 1, I can go into the inventory and push "store ship." This takes my ship out of the game world and stores it in my inventory. As I'm working on Frigate 1 I realize I have to Log Off, so I store Frigate 1. Later that day I log onto the server with my buddy. He wants to do some exploring, but doesn't feel like making a ship so I then go into my inventory, select Fighter 1 and spawn it at no cost since it's in my inventory. Now I spawn Frigate 1 and continue to work on it. A few minutes later I see a ton of enemies approaching our base. I now go into my inventory, select Fighter 1 and spawn it at the cost for the ship. I feel like this is a fair compromise to the current system as I see the need for the cost for the ships to keep people from spawning infinite numbers of ships. However I think the players are entitled to keep their ships for free, atleast 1 copy.

• Airlocks: Entering your ship can be a pain, so I suggest implementing "airlock" blocks. These blocks can be placed on the exterior of the ship and when activated allow you to enter your ship. Just like the cockpit blocks serve a very important need as you want to have the core of your ship protected.

• Planets: This is my most out-of-the-box, yet most exciting idea. It is dependent on 1 huge map, multiple planets being distributed throughout them, AND schema allowing traveling from space through the atmosphere to the surface of the planet. Basically I propose that individuals and group be allowed to land on these empty planets and set up cities/bases that could function as trading outposts, repair stations, etc. These bases would be built of blocks and both them and the surface of the planet would be completely destructible. Now imagine a scout ship for the enemy flys through the atmosphere of your planet by chance and finds your base and reports it's location back to his team. Capital ships could battle it out in orbit and bombers could attempt to bomb the surface of the planet while fighters fight other fighters in the atmosphere. I'm sure it's even possible to preform orbital bombardments, or create a super "death star" weapon capable of destroying an entire planet. Obviously these planets wouldn't need to be huge, but they should be large enough to build a couple cities on its surface. I'm not sure if this is entirely possible, but to the best of my knowledge this is something that could be implemented. If the voxels/blocks can be scaled so that instead of only being drawn at a certain distance, they were always visible but were much smaller from a distance, than this is entirely feasible. With this feature it will give the player a "home" in the game and greatly increase immersion. I think people want to feel like they are a part of this game, that they have a place, and when they leave the world keeps spinning without them. Factions will lay claim to different planets and systems leading to eternal conflicts on multiple fronts.
    Sigh... a guy can dream can't he? Please don't take this as criticism towards your game Schema, or as an attempt to steer you away from your vision. I have just been inspired by you, and have so many hopes for this game. Even in it's alpha stages Starmade is a work of art, I merely wish to help it reach it's full potential.
    I encourage everyone to comment and give me your feedback, positive or negative. Am I expecting too much? Do you think this is possible?

Reaction score
    I really like the idea about planets as it's a really interesting feature you propose.
    I agree with this but i think that only the surface of planets should be destroyable, they should get a "quite" indestructible core or something like that ( you don't blow a planet with lasers or missiles ... ) but maybe by landing on it's surface to set up a bigger bomb for exemple.
    Another idea i came up with reading this is that more planets, with differents "skins" would be great. ( Earth like planets, lava planets, ice planets, jungles planets ... etc ... )

Thanks for reading, Elladan

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Wow, first of all thanks you for your praise. Comments like that really give me the motivation to press on, even in hard times. I'm really glad, that people are having fun with this game.

For your ideas and suggestions:

• Scale: I plan to make the arena, in which ships can engage each other not too big, since they should be able to find each other. In my opinion, a never ending world in all direction would be kind of boring since the probability of players actually make contact with each other is pretty small. I will however expand the game by adding an infinite amount of big and small star systems to travel to. You will need lots of 'power that is not yet in the game' to travel to far destinations, so you will be able to gradually expand your reach. There will also be jump portal and such you can setup so you can save the precious 'power that is not yet in the game':)

• After really taking a lot of time thinking about planets, I can assure you that I have very discrete and realistic plans on implementing them. They might not be exactly how you would have expected them, but in my opinion after taking every aspect into consideration, this method will be by far the most simplest, original, and playable version of planets. I can't really tell you, what planets will be like, since I don't want to give away too much. Be assured that atmospheric graphics are planned (I already implemented atmospheric scattering once:

http://files.star-made.org/images/atmosphericScatter1.png
      http://files.star-made.org/images/atmosphericScatter2.png
      http://files.star-made.org/images/atmosphericScatter3.png

I'll have to see, if I'll make gravitational physics apply to ships. Implementing that isn't to much of a problem, but ships should still be easily controllable.

• Free For All / Teams: That kind of falls into the scale category for me. I'd love to do all that stuff, but my philosophy is: "First, get the basics down. Then, assure that the basics are down". There already is the free game mode, where you are not bound to a team, but that is not saying very much. I actually love the idea of factions or guilds, but to realize that, I would need a MMO like architecture, not only for the game servers but also for all the management. With the API I implemented about 2 weeks ago, I could already let players get assigned to arbitrary teams, but the actual impact on the game would be none.

• Server: That's strange, the server should already be persistent. If you leave a game on a running server or singleplayer and join it again, the world should be as it was. Maybe you played in coop mode, which is the only mode that will continually reset the world. Try free mode: It will also save your inventory and credits (although you wont gain any over time). You can also give yourself credits in singleplayer by typing '/give_credits yourplayername 1000000' into the chat.

• Storing ships: Giving players the possibility to carry ships with them could be dangerous. There would be a lot of ways to exploit. I could make that an online feature, but I'm not blizzard, nor do I have their infrastructure ;)

• Airlocks: There are already cockpits. All I would have to do is to make them be an entry point, so consider it done.

• Planets: I love that scenario and I'll do my best to make that reality. There are already plans, as you can read in my second bullet point. I will try to make planets as huge and distinct (as in: "I don't know if there is anything out there") as possible. To increase the viewing distance, I'll use several methods (also the one that you mentioned), but my greatest advantage will be the planet system itself ;)

Again, thank you very much for your comment, and thank you for playing the game.
    cheers,
    - schema

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wow, those screenshots look amazing. I can't wait! Thank you for your quick reply, this has really made me excited for upcoming updates.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think, that you can make planets like cube like this (change time to 0:20 to see) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk-CFsIknXQ , but i think it's very hard to do. And i wanna pay and play this game and wanna see a game mod like a "conquest" with procedurally generated system (galaxy o_O) and many many players playing this game on main server. I think you'll find a good solution to this problem) :) Thanks for your work to do this game better)

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    thanks for the video. looks interesting. I already have a similar solution planned that also takes care of theproblems that a cube shaped world would introduce