Planets are resetting when I leave the sector.

Reaction score
    I've already submitted a bug report about this, but I was hoping maybe someone else knew a fix for this or if I might be doing something wrong.

Whenever I try to build on a planet that is not in the trader's territory, once I leave the sector and come back the entire planet is reset, and I lose all of the blocks I placed on the planet. Most recently, I landed a ship on the planet to see if that would affect anything. When I came back, the ship was in the center of the planet; underground. The first planet that I built on was within trader territory and I never had an issue. Every planet I've tried to build on outside of the trader's territory has been reset immediately.

Am I doing something wrong? I even claimed the system for myself using a faction block but that solved nothing. I created a new universe, I restarted my game, I've placed build blocks, factories, energy, and nothing ever survived. I would appreciate knowing hearing anyone who has a fix/can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Youre probably not doing anything wrong, its just another bug that needs to be addressed. It wont be, though.

Schine right now is making a new planet system for future, but they dont seem to be working on fixing any of the issues with the current ones. Theyre basically abandoned.

I would try making a space station instead. There are station gravity chambers now that let objects treat the surface of a station like a planet, being pulled towards it. But all our planet dreams are down the drain at the moment...

Reactions: Lecic

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I've already submitted a bug report about this, but I was hoping maybe someone else knew a fix for this or if I might be doing something wrong.

Whenever I try to build on a planet that is not in the trader's territory, once I leave the sector and come back the entire planet is reset, and I lose all of the blocks I placed on the planet. Most recently, I landed a ship on the planet to see if that would affect anything. When I came back, the ship was in the center of the planet; underground. The first planet that I built on was within trader territory and I never had an issue. Every planet I've tried to build on outside of the trader's territory has been reset immediately.

Am I doing something wrong? I even claimed the system for myself using a faction block but that solved nothing. I created a new universe, I restarted my game, I've placed build blocks, factories, energy, and nothing ever survived. I would appreciate knowing hearing anyone who has a fix/can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
    Have you looked at your .log files for errors?([strmadeinstall folder pointed to in the launcher]/logs) If you can't tell upload?
    Try importing this old sector planet in my sig. tell me if it works better or same problem.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    But all our planet dreams are down the drain at the moment...
    Not all of them... ;)

I would try making a space station instead. There are station gravity chambers now that let objects treat the surface of a station like a planet, being pulled towards it.

Also, they now have radial gravity now as part of the "Mass Chamber" system. You can now create your own multi-sided artificial planets.

It will be completely devoid of any natural resources but if it's a nice looking lower lag, planetary base you're after, this is your best bet.

Reaction score
    Thank you all for your replies! I think I have just found a fix for this though! (Only tried it once, but it worked!) I tried to settle on a new planet and it reset like it had been doing. Out of anger, I shot the planet for a few seconds with my salvage beams (1800 units, so it did a large chunk of damage) When I returned to the planet this damage remained. In previous trials, any blocks I changed via Build Block were also fully reset.

I placed a build block, and other blocks on the damaged face of the planet, and on another undamaged face. When i returned, everything was where I had placed it. It seems that the planet wants to reset unless you make a large change to any part of it (This is my current hypothesis.) Again, I have only tested it once, but I'll try more times and report back. I hope if anyone else has this problem they see this post!

TL;DR: Shoot the planet with salvage beams on one face to do substantial damage. The whole planet should now update properly.

Reaction score
    I apologize for spamming this thread, but I am not able to edit my old messages and I wanted to give an update on what I learned.

After trying it on another planet I found that only the face you salvage on is saved, not the whole planet. In addition, you do not have to deal large amounts of damage to the planet. Simply destroying a few blocks with a weak salvage beam should do the trick. This worked on every planet face I attempted it on.

This result is good enough for me, and so I'll stop making posts and I hope I helped anyone who had the same problem.

TL;DR: Destroy a few blocks on the planet with a salvage beam to make sure it will never reset.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I wonder, since no one has mentioned this, if the following could do the trick too.

When you enter a system that's not claimed by any party, the first thing to do is drop a faction block, either on a station or a planet, create a faction, even if it is just for you, and claim the system. I've done this in the past on planets and never had any problems with vanishing builds.

I admit it has been some time since I did this, so maybe things have changed since then, but it's something to try if you have the time. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    I wonder, since no one has mentioned this, if the following could do the trick too.

When you enter a system that's not claimed by any party, the first thing to do is drop a faction block, either on a station or a planet, create a faction, even if it is just for you, and claim the system. I've done this in the past on planets and never had any problems with vanishing builds.

I admit it has been some time since I did this, so maybe things have changed since then, but it's something to try if you have the time. ;)

Greets,

Jan
    Definitely wasn't working for me. I would sometimes start with placing a faction block on the planet I wanted to build on. I would even set it as my faction home before building. When I returned the system would still be claimed and my faction block would be gone. Claiming the planet seemed to have no effect. AFAIK the solution I found is the only way to deal with it. I don't doubt there are other ways or maybe even a permanent fix, but with such a simple solution I'm not bothered to look for others.

Reaction score
    The only use for planets that i have is finding ones that have a city on them. If they do, it's free armor blocks and whatnot.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    How common are such planets?
    Very rare.

With default server config settings, there is a 1 in 240 chance of either a city or pyramid appearing when a planet first spawns. On LvD, I actually found a pyramid and a city within a 2 system radius. Not sure if they tweaked the configs though. In the 5+ years I've been playing StarMade, I've encountered roughly 5 cities and 3 pyramids; all by chance and not through any kind of active search.

Reactions: Gasboy
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I saw one city, in like 2015. Are they still the same ones that used to spawn on the cookies?

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I saw one city, in like 2015. Are they still the same ones that used to spawn on the cookies?
    Not sure. I didn't travel or play multi-player much, back in the cookie days. They do look similar though. Here are the pics of the ones from LvD if you'd like to compare.
    We come in peace.jpg We come in peace2.jpg We come in peace3.jpg Pyramid.jpg