Suggested Planetary Suggestions

Reaction score
    Hello, me again, I understand you guys are working hard on updates to make this game awesome, but I also understand that the planets are not worked on all that much as they should compared to everything else. Now me myself I do not like the new hexagonal planets, as from a distance they do not generate as fast, and I sometimes see the magma. I was hoping there could be a option when creating a server/universe that there would be an option for planet generation either (New) or (Old), where the new is the hexagonal planets, and the old is the cookie planets, because to be honest I like the cookie ones alot better. Although the new ones had a great idea behind them, and its kinda hard to create a spherical planet in a voxel based game, I would like them to be fixed, or add the option to have cookie planets back. And also, the planets are lacking a bit. They don't have life. I understand some have plants, and there is the experimental creature from a while ago, with a spawner and its a spider-like creature that attacks you. But having AI's on the planet like different creatures (some passive some aggresive) or having pirates or civilization (Not advanced or anything special, just having some AI walk around and shoot you with a gun if they are aggresive) for fighting or for trading (some planets can have traders on them too!). I dont know, and cant think of anything else currently to write/add but you guys get the idea, hopefully some time in the future this can be taken into consideration! Thanks for reading!

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    This is all most certainly planned. We're all hoping for an NPC/fleets/Trading Guild update soon. I think one of the recent updates mentioned something about it. In the meantime, this is planned, so the suggestion is unnecessary.

Reaction score
    I was hoping there could be a option when creating a server/universe that there would be an option for planet generation either (New) or (Old), where the new is the hexagonal planets, and the old is the cookie planets, because to be honest I like the cookie ones alot better. Although the new ones had a great idea behind them, and its kinda hard to create a spherical planet in a voxel based game, I would like them to be fixed, or add the option to have cookie planets back.
    If they were large enough, they could use 32 faces like a traditional soccer ball.

I don't care much about shape either, size is more important to me.

Reaction score
    The big problem is that more faces=more block weirdness closer to the surface. By weirdness I mean intersecting lines of blocks where plates meet under the surface. There's no really good way to make a circular voxel planet.

Reaction score
    The big problem is that more faces=more block weirdness closer to the surface. By weirdness I mean intersecting lines of blocks where plates meet under the surface. There's no really good way to make a circular voxel planet.
    True.

More faces means smaller intersecting angles though.

Personally I'd be satisfied with cubes, or double sided discs, if only they were huge.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, I have long wished for the option in the server config to select which types of planet I want. (Cookie vs. Oreo vs. Dodecahedron vs...)

With that said, a newer member of the dev team has a voxel planet in his CV, and the dev team has been talking about spending some serious attention on updating the "Planet" system "Soon" (tm). They intend to improve the efficiency of planets in multiple ways and allowing them to be bigger as a result of the improvements. Generally, they resist "going back" to flat planets.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I didn'T like about cookies that you could mine the underside or have to fly around it to see the planet.

I prefer continental plates to relax the tension between biomes with equal blocks and a 1-block layer of lava.
    With a reliable collision-shape which equals the top-down view as long as chunks aren't loaded.
    Unloaded chunks should make your ship stop if it is going to cross them - another reason to prefer small shuttles.

I wish for a Moon, perhaps just to be able to dock your capital ship to without being exposed to the gravity or have to build your own station.

Last edited:

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Yes!!!1!!1
    FOOTBALL PLANETS!
    Er, soccer. Whatever.
    BUT THINK OF THE BIOMES!
    more planetc plates = more possibility for biomes!

Then we can say that starmade is no longer apart of the single biome planet trope!

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    BUT THINK OF THE BIOMES!
    more planetc plates = more possibility for biomes!
    Then we can say that starmade is no longer apart of the single biome planet trope!
    Yes, but if they are too small individually, your space-port is 3/10 of the planet in size, which is unrealistic if it is just a 1:! build of a real-word airport.​