Planet changes

Reaction score
    One dicussion in chat happened.

Bottom line is that players need ores. The current sources of ores are rapidly depleted. Planets are essentially huge, useless hunks of rock to be eaten by salvage ships to make another 20 sheild rechargers. Asteroids are smaller planets used to make 5 sheild rechargers. Maybe I'm exagerating a bit, but we all felt the pain of attempting to build a titan with the extremely poor sources of resources given. Thats why we exploit. So we can play the game and not literally spend years mining. You get the idea.

The solution we were discussing was resource pumps.

-Planet sides can have one resource pump placed on them
    -Planets generate with a value that determines the rate of ores "mined"
    --Can scan planets to find "richness"
    --The idea is that certain planets would be fought over a lot for being signifigantly richer in resources (4-6 times) than others
    -Each planet is limited to one pump per side, and these pumps are limited by faction points.
    --If your faction has 10 points you will only be able to mine from one. If your faction has 20, that would unlock another side to be mined from
    -Planets get changed to have the ship HP system, except that blocks have very high HP, and regen blocks over time so we don't end up with nuked planets after one fight
    -Planets changed to be destroyed when enough damage is dealt to it, spread out over segments.
    -Asteroids buffed, they come with more minerals, spawn in huge clusters on the far edge of solar systems, and the asteroids regen over time so that newer players don't have to fight established factions for their dinky salvage ship
    -Ores take up way more space than other things, only stacking to 50 each
    -Factories changed so that a size 50 factory can process stacks of 1,2,3 ETC materials. This has bugged me since they got changed.
    -Introduces the need to actually have cargo ships ETC possibly introducing an entirely new facet to the game, ACTUALLY PROFITABLE PIRACY
    --Except for the fact that there's no need to bring the ores to a central area as you can literally just set up shop on the planet and shove a bunch of mesh or whatever into someone's inventory, completely removing the need for cargo ships in the first place. Make new refinery enhancers really expensive so that new players can get a refinery, but established factions would want to protect their 5 million-credit enhancers in centrialized locations?

Reactions: Captain Tankman

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like all of this, except for the stack limiting to 50. from one asteroid, you can very easily get hundreds of ores, imagine how many times you would need to go back and forth in order to mine if the stack was limited to 50. Stack limiting will be implemented at some point, but not at this small scale. I would say make the limit around 500-1000.

Reaction score
    I like all of this, except for the stack limiting to 50. from one asteroid, you can very easily get hundreds of ores, imagine how many times you would need to go back and forth in order to mine if the stack was limited to 50. Stack limiting will be implemented at some point, but not at this small scale. I would say make the limit around 500-1000.
    Plexstorage exists. Its possible to fit dozens or even hundreds of plexstorage on a ship with another purpose by retrofitting, and since you can rig salvage beams to output into plexstorage, it becomes a non-issue that simply forces you to dedicate areas of your miner to cargo storage, which is kind of the point.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you think 50 is a good stack limit for ore I must ask if you have actually tried to build a ship using stacks of 50 ores.

Reaction score
    Yep I agree with everything but the stack size you are suggesting. Maybe 250 or so, so we actually need plexstorages.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Plexstorage exists. Its possible to fit dozens or even hundreds of plexstorage on a ship with another purpose by retrofitting, and since you can rig salvage beams to output into plexstorage, it becomes a non-issue that simply forces you to dedicate areas of your miner to cargo storage, which is kind of the point.
    Storage may exist, but it isn't going to look good for placing all over a starting ship, just so you can make a frigate. Not only that, but storage's are a pain to use, if we're going to be "forced" (not a good word for a suggestion in a sandbox game) to use storage, then there would need to be a bunch more features readily available, such as moving cargo between entities, having storage stacks higher than player stacks, easier sorting, etc.

The stack limit should become a config option, with the default in the middle of what we both suggest (as Wrexin said) 250 or so.