Pistons, Rotors, etc.

Reaction score
    I basically want to be able to do something like this with my ships:

http://aureltristen.deviantart.com/art/SDF-1-Transformation-119581580

Has any kind of piston/rotor/movement block type been mentioned by Schema in the past? Would it even be possible in the game engine?

It would also be nice to be able to program triggers for movement blocks through LUA for your ship. For example, selecting a missile group from the quickbar triggers movement blocks that open silo bay panels or having a large array of movement blocks shift your ships armor panels into a 'offense' mode, revealing weapons systems when you enter a specificed camera block.

I think this would a huge amount of aesthectic options for ship building, but I understand that it would probably be a huge undertaking with many things to consider. If all else fails, you may be able to jerry rig rotating ship parts with docking blocks and programmable AI in the future.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    1+ support, there needs to be some sort of controllable moving block in starmade

and no doors don\'t count

Reaction score
    +1 They should require power though to discourage massive game breaking ships, perhaps:

Power = Perpendicular distance from pivot x The desired speed

Reaction score
    It would also allow things like retractable landing gear, pop out weapons and swivelling engines possible.

They (pistons/rotars/hinges/whatever) would work simply by using the planned \"Activation Module\".

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    But still EXTREMELY awesome, the lua thing is a really good idea too :D

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    try playing SE they have done some amazing things with rotors

I think SE has better collision handling for objects with rotors.

It would be really awesome with custom LUA and complex rotation settings (first rotor to -45°, second to +45°, keep third segment in the same orientation as first...)

Even SE lacks hotkeys / command-linking for this.

Reaction score
    +1 with multi hotkey, i want to say, press 1, push missiles out of ship, 2, fire missiles, 3, turn thrusters around, full force back. With that idea, i would like less speed going backward, but you can pivot your thruster blocks, so the thrust pushes back so you go backwards normal speed, and less forward.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hell, I\'d like to have this over the creatures update.

Reaction score
    I don\'t know if this would be possible, the concept sounds cool and all, but it\'s kinda built on the same type of engine as minecraft (block based). I could see pistons being possible, but rotation-type blocks that rotate entire chunks of a ship? Sounds like it would cause quite a bit of lag if abused properly.

Reaction score
    So, it would push, and rotate orintation in pivit space