Pirate spawn is pathetic on server

Reaction score
    Yo is there any way i can vastly increase the pirate spawning rate on my private server?

Right now, we get the odd pirate wave attack our station consisting of ~5 ships (Maybe once every 10 hours), pirates spawn when we attack stations etc. It's just right now we could prolly take out all of the pirates using a water-pistol. In addition i've yet to see a trading guild ship. I've not fucked with any of the default blueprint permissions, only setting a number of my ships as not usable. Is it possible we can massively increase the frequency of pirate spawn/chance of running into them. WE have strayed far from 2,2,2 so i was expecting a little more.

My config file is as follows:
    ENABLE_SIMULATION = true //Universe AI simulation
    CONCURRENT_SIMULATION = 256 //How many simulation groups may be in the universe simultaniously (performance)
    ENEMY_SPAWNING = true //Enables enemy spawing
    SECTOR_SIZE = 2000 //Sets the size of sectors in the universe **WARNING** scaling the size of an existing universe down may cause issues
    SIMULATION_SPAWN_DELAY = 420 //How much seconds between simulation spawn ticks
    SIMULATION_TRADING_FILLS_SHOPS = true //Trading guild will deliver stock to shops
    DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_ENEMY_USE = true //Default option for blueprints not in catalog yet

Thanks for any ideas

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I have been experiencing the same, only our first two waves of pirates are ever spawning, regardless of distance from spawn or player ship size/mass. i've asked for clarification on phab on exactly what is expected in terms of pirate spawning these days, because it's become hard to test what's up because i don't know what 'working' looks like. it may be that the later waves are reserved for manual spawns only, but i just don't know anymore.

Reaction score
    I have been experiencing the same, only our first two waves of pirates are ever spawning, regardless of distance from spawn or player ship size/mass. i've asked for clarification on phab on exactly what is expected in terms of pirate spawning these days, because it's become hard to test what's up because i don't know what 'working' looks like. it may be that the later waves are reserved for manual spawns only, but i just don't know anymore.
    I'm sure i remember reading that they were hoping to actually make the pirates MORE aggressive. As right now they're simply not a threat to anything with weapons (They even shoot each other much of the time). There should be an option to control the probability of a wave of pirates spawning every game tick, so we can mess with it. At least it's not just me being retarded and others are experiencing this also :)

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Been having the same issue on the server I'm normally on. Only getting the weakest waves.

Reaction score
    Okay, i'm not sure if this is coincidence, or if i actually have successfully fixed this. However i appear to have found a solution to this situation for anyone interested. First i was fucking arround with my config file, and i changed the following lines:

CONCURRENT_SIMULATION = 512 //How many simulation groups may be in the universe simultaniously (performance)
    ENEMY_SPAWNING = true //Enables enemy spawing
    SECTOR_SIZE = 2000 //Sets the size of sectors in the universe **WARNING** scaling the size of an existing universe down may cause issues
    BLUEPRINT_DEFAULT_PRIVATE = true //If true, set blueprints private as default (else they are public)
    SIMULATION_SPAWN_DELAY = 200 //How much seconds between simulation spawn ticks

Second because i found the ships which the pirates spawn in particularly weak, i went into the Catalog --> Manage AI spawn Groups menu, and i added a wave consisting of several more balanced ships. And now we have frequent pirate raids, and attacking the stations/these fleets present a serious threat to us. I have noticed no adverse effects from doing this.

I hope this helps someone out there, please lmk if you try this and it actually helps or if it was just a fortunate coincidence.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I've got a fresh install directory of starmade I'm going to test this out on. It'll be my pirate, Trading Guild, and other things testing area. :)

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    A single simulation is a group of AI ships. Every (SIMULATION_SPAWN_DELAY = ) 420 seconds, a single simulation is spawned. Where depends on the current loaded sectors (so if you have 50 players online, the chance of something spawning at your location is very low than if you were the only one online). It randomly selects a player and then decides what to do. If you're near a shop or a trading guild station, you'll only get trading guild ships. Same goes for protected areas. I don't know if a homebase also has this but that may be possible.

Otherwise it's usually a random pick, pirates, trading guild or nothing at all. Each spawned simulation uses any blueprint set to "enemy usable" or it uses the groups you've set yourself in the catalog - admin tab. These custom group's difficulty doesn't matter for now, it picks a random one.

I hope that clears some stuff up. If you want more fleets to show up, you have to decrease the spawn delay.