Recognized by Council Payed Permission modules

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    So the other day I had the idea of making a public shipyard on a server in which players can pay the owner of the shipyard to use so like someone wants to build a huge ship but does not have a big enough shipyard to maintain it. they could just go to a big public shipyard and use it to occasionally to maintain the ship after several battles

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    There needs to be a paid permission module for other reasons as well.

Selling ships, for one. Many factions build very nice ships, but sales are never likely to be a serious option if players can't come by the station when no one is around, pay for a ship they like, then fly it off.

Docking as well. It would be nice to be able to charge for docking permissions. Even nicer if the module could charge a periodic fee (-10K credits every hour, every day, whatever).

Medical services & undeathinators could be permissioned based on fee payment.

It would be a very useful feature, but implementation might be difficult.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'd like to see this as well. I think it brings up many questions though, but most are the same problems current permissions have.

Specifically how to make a one way pay door?

Reaction score
    Logic-based activation, nightrune? Link the paid module up to a button, connected to a line of delay modules, that opens the door for a small amount of time, then closes it when the signal reaches the end and another button. Real basic, shouldn't take that much logic. The door itself should be as forbidden as it gets. That way, on one side, people who have paid can use the button to get in one way, but the door then shuts behind them, and they cannot reach the button again. Door stays sealed from the one side. Problem solved.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It could be a "fee-logic module" that gives off a signal only if you put certain item or money in it. And the said item/money is then extracted off to a locked inventory. (I think we had something like that in a Minecraft Tekkit server a couple of years ago).

...Now that I said it, I figure one might already be able to do that with current logic... with items, but not money. Anyways, I agree that an easier way to accomplish this should be implemented.

EDIT: Sorry, now when I read the discussion again, you were talking about especially the permission fees... There is no way to currently change the permissions with logic, at least not any way that I know of. But my wish for a fee-activated logic block still stands.

Reaction score
    My logic idea was not to change permissions, but to allow only one-way access through a door. I'm not sure if it'd work, though.

Reaction score
    My logic idea was not to change permissions, but to allow only one-way access through a door. I'm not sure if it'd work, though.
    Sounds feasible, until someone brings a friend (or an alt) and they both pass the door at the same time - one stays inside and unless you also add a counter/comparator, the lock becomes useless. It's a nice engineering challenge, but a simple, single block solution would be nice to have, too.

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Sounds feasible, until someone brings a friend (or an alt) and they both pass the door at the same time - one stays inside and unless you also add a counter/comparator, the lock becomes useless. It's a nice engineering challenge, but a simple, single block solution would be nice to have, too.
    My only thought would be to have it where it only lets a single entity pass at a time (like some sort of scifi 'energy barrier') and only one entity at a time. Perhaps only to the entity that actually made the payment. As a result even to an alt/other player who tried to pass through at the same time would just walk into a wall while the other would pass through no problem. Not sure how difficult that would be however.

Reaction score
    Yeah, Valck, I get that there's always the buddy system.

For now, for a "pay" system, just make a faction that you only invite paid people into after they've paid whatever it may be, have them collect their goodies and leave. That way, you can have defense systems that kill people that don't pay/aren't in the faction. Little more labor-intensive, but it works.

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    i never thought this thread will go past several people saying cool and leaving

Reactions: yoyo2901
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I can see that, but in a player economy where the things being bought and sold are not just components (i.e. services, whole ships, docking permissions, door access, information, etc) it is something I think a lot of us have thought about at one time or another and just never bothered to table in the forums because it's kind of low down on the priority list. :)

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    I can see that, but in a player economy where the things being bought and sold are not just components (i.e. services, whole ships, docking permissions, door access, information, etc) it is something I think a lot of us have thought about at one time or another and just never bothered to table in the forums because it's kind of low down on the priority list. :)
    yeah i was just feeling like makinfg a new thread on that day

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    There needs to be a paid permission module for other reasons as well.

Selling ships, for one. Many factions build very nice ships, but sales are never likely to be a serious option if players can't come by the station when no one is around, pay for a ship they like, then fly it off.

Docking as well. It would be nice to be able to charge for docking permissions. Even nicer if the module could charge a periodic fee (-10K credits every hour, every day, whatever).

Medical services & undeathinators could be permissioned based on fee payment.

It would be a very useful feature, but implementation might be difficult.
    I could see where this would work with selling ships. Just place it next to a faction block, setup a price and assuming someone in a faction comes along and wants it, they pay the money and the faction block switches to them on the lowest tier permissions.

Docking would be complicated at best, even if you undocked a ship it would still be floating next to the dock. Unless you intended to shoot anyone who ran out of money while docked.

Medical would be pointless, those blocks are easy to make and getting astronaut damage is rare and usually fatal.

As for a shipyard, I wonder how would you charge for the supplies to fix the ship. No ones going to carry enough in their personal inventory to make repairs to ship large enough to pay to use a dock for. Tie it to a shop module maybe? Even then the shipyard would be useless when the shop ran out of supplies and all you would have is an angry customer.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Docking permissions could be a one-time-pay thing. i.e. you pay once, and can then dock your ship for as long as it remains docked. Once you undock, you (or whoever wants to use that spot next) would need to pay again in order to dock there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    That sounds good until someone docks a ship, logs off and never to be seen again.

Reaction score
    That sounds good until someone docks a ship, logs off and never to be seen again.
    That sounds intimidating until you find out you can undock them by simply removing the rail, or more elegantly rotate it using logic from your docking control centre at the press of a button.

Reaction score
    You can also undock by linking a logic block (With no connected rails, so no rotation) to the rail and pressing it. A simple high signal from a logic block will undock anything touching the rail, no rotations or other shenanigans necessary. The only problem with that approach is that you must either have one crazy logic clock setup (To give a decent length of time to the purchaser's docking time) or must be on yourself.