Option for starmade window to default to additional (if any) monitors.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I've got a second, larger, monitor that I plug into my laptop. For various reasons I much prefer to keep the laptop display as the main display and the external monitor as secondary. I also play starmade windowed(fullscreen if I can help it). However, everytime I click the fullscreen button on the window, or manually resize the window starmade jumps back to the default position (top left, or center as per settings) of the primary monitor.

I suggest having a change in window size apply to moving the starmade window to the default location but on the monitor the window is currently on instead of pulling the window back to the default location of the primary monitor. Or if easier to implement offering the choice to set a default location on other screens.

Thanks.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    This kind of also depends on how the OS handles the 2nd monitor. If it handles the second monitor as an extension of the 1st monitor's right side e.g. this behaviour kind of results from that, as the top left corner will then end up on the 1st monitor.
    I haven't experimented with multi-monitor setups myself, however, if java can still register the 2nd monitor individually, it'll also be a breeze to detect that monitor's resolution and add it to the selectable resolutions, if it isn't selectable yet.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This kind of also depends on how the OS handles the 2nd monitor. If it handles the second monitor as an extension of the 1st monitor's right side e.g. this behaviour kind of results from that, as the top left corner will then end up on the 1st monitor.
    I haven't experimented with multi-monitor setups myself, however, if java can still register the 2nd monitor individually, it'll also be a breeze to detect that monitor's resolution and add it to the selectable resolutions, if it isn't selectable yet.

The only real way that multiple monitors can be handled is to use the "fake full screen mode", basically it's a window that has no window decorations, and takes up the entire screen. A second window would then be created and positioned where the second screen would be.

That's pretty much it, and might be doable in Java... It would be nice to have chat and other UI elements, as well as log messages, show up in another window on another screen (even if it's two windows than need to be dragged around and placed by the user).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    My second monitor is on the left in my configuration, and the game still defaults to the top left of the primary monitor which is located on the right. Also the game already supports the resolution of my second monitor. I just wanted to see about adding support to get the default position of the game window to be attached to the second monitor instead of the primary monitor. Any time I resize the game window or try to make the window full screen on the second monitor it jumps back to it's default position on the first monitor.

The only real way that multiple monitors can be handled is to use the "fake full screen mode", basically it's a window that has no window decorations, and takes up the entire screen. A second window would then be created and positioned where the second screen would be.

That's pretty much it, and might be doable in Java... It would be nice to have chat and other UI elements, as well as log messages, show up in another window on another screen (even if it's two windows than need to be dragged around and placed by the user).
    I don't want to get fullscreen itself on the second monitor I want the game to be windowed still, I just want the window to recognize the secondary monitor as it's parent environment instead of the primary monitor. The window should have an option to default to the top-left or center of the second monitor instead of the first.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I imagine things like this will make their way into the game over time. If people did not already know, dynamic resizing of the window is new with the latest release. Schema got it in without even mentioning it to us. (Praise Schema).

I'll mention this. But do not worry, something like this will likely come about naturally as time goes on.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I see, I just picked up the game and hadn't realized that the dynamic resize was new.

I guess I'll wait and see how it plays out, thanks!

Edit: I found a description of how to emulate this behavior, but it's kind of hackish, and I'm not sure how well it applies to anything other than windows. Set the second monitor as the primary and then drag your toolbar and icons to the now secondary monitor (in my case the native laptop screen). I'll have to see how well this plays with the rest of my programs.

Last edited: