Optimized Server Settings?

Reaction score
    I am setting up a dedicated server and would like some assistance in the settings.

I have not made any changes to the default config so I am starting fresh. I have a dedicated server box Im hosting myself on a business connection. I have a Dual socket Xeon server with 24GB of RAM and RAID 1o.
    I have 8 cores and 16 threads total and am currently using 11GB with the other servers on this box my clan uses.

I have already allowed port 4242 on the firewall for UDP and TCP.

I noticed in the settings file that you can enable UDP but it is disabled by default. Is there any particular reason why?

What settings would you guys recommend I use in the settings file?

I am running on Windows Server 2016

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    nice rig
    enabling udp ends up being the same as tcp-ip since the game had to create a header for udp which kills what makes udp functional as it's essentially a headless tcp-ip.. if i recall correctly. the situation may have changed and i just missed it in the bug list

the optimal setting? hmm well i suppose you'd need to have a stated goal for the server. is it dedicated to pvp or build? is it meant for use by a dozen or so people or even more? does anyone who'd going to play it want anything excluded like AI fleets or planets or maybe even pirate bases spawning? lotta questions need to be answered to find your server a role and then tailor the config to that. i recommend sticking to the vanilla config and as ppl run into issues see if there's an option that'll sort em. just remember you can't please everyone. sometimes it's hard to please one person as folks tend to change their mind often :3

good luck

Reaction score
    nice rig
    enabling udp ends up being the same as tcp-ip since the game had to create a header for udp which kills what makes udp functional as it's essentially a headless tcp-ip.. if i recall correctly. the situation may have changed and i just missed it in the bug list

the optimal setting? hmm well i suppose you'd need to have a stated goal for the server. is it dedicated to pvp or build? is it meant for use by a dozen or so people or even more? does anyone who'd going to play it want anything excluded like AI fleets or planets or maybe even pirate bases spawning? lotta questions need to be answered to find your server a role and then tailor the config to that. i recommend sticking to the vanilla config and as ppl run into issues see if there's an option that'll sort em. just remember you can't please everyone. sometimes it's hard to please one person as folks tend to change their mind often :3

good luck
    It is a dedicated server for both PVP and Building. Starting out there will be a dozen or so people but we want to make it expand (build server pop). TCPIP is all about verified transmission hence the TCP acronym standing for Transmission Control Protocol. It is about controlling the transmission of data. Whereas UDP is User Datagram Protocol which is a simple transmission method without verification of received packets.

but I digress and am getting off topic.

No issues with Pirates or Planets or AI fleets. we want the full experience. Our favorite times is in the middle of chaos.
    People will leave a server when it gets boring. The plan is to have an active and constantly changing experience on the server. So, keeping as many features as possible is ideal.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    nah vanilla sounds good then. the only thing i would recommend to a pure vanilla server is to change the sector size. 5k sectors are alright i personally prefer 10k but those were bugged back in the day. should be fixed now. if you've got someone with the chops for it a chat triggered banking script using sql would go a long way to keeping folks on your server happy. this game can get like GTA where you have a buncha cash on ya and lose 10% because *surprise pvp*

Reaction score
    alright. ill give it a shot. When I am modifying it to broadcast the server name and ip, I assume I add the port at the end?