OpenGL error crash at 30% on Linux

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hello !

i got a critical error at 30% loading while trying to get onto a server or on my local world.

Again this shader/quads13 thingy...

Here are the logs.

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Assuming your graphics info is reported correctly, the shader is trying to use an extension that isn't supported (because it is already incorporated into OpenGL 3.0 and therefore not needed). They recently updated the shaders to fix this, but is it possible your install is out of date or corrupted?

Maybe try installing to a new directory.

You could also open the "data//shader/cube/quads13/shadowcube.vsh" file in a text editor and see if it has this at the top:
    #IFDEF force130
    #version 130

#ELSE
    #version 120
    #ENDIF

#IFDEF force130
    //no extension needed for using version 130

#ELSEIF shader4
    #extension GL_EXT_gpu_shader4: enable
    #ENDIF

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hi. Thanks for answering. I've just checked and it has those lines.

i'm doing a fresh install in a different place right now. I'll edit this message when its done.

Same error with a fresh install

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I actually had this problem before, and had forgotten what I had done to work around it. :oops:
    This is a work-around and is probably quite system dependent, but ours may be similar enough that it will work for you as well.
    Debian GNU/Linux 9.1 (stretch)
    OpenGL Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
    Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PITCAIRN (DRM 2.48.0 / 4.9.0-3-amd64, LLVM 3.9.1)
    CPU: AMD A10-7850K
    What I did is use a program called driconf to add a setting to any java program that forces the GLSL version to 130 if the shader doesn't explicitly set it. I'm pretty sure this will only work if your gpu driver actually does support it, AND the shader really is compatible with version 1.30.

Anyway, install the driconf package and run it ('driconf' from a terminal, or "3D Acceleration" from desktop).
    The top half of the window are global settings, useful for quick testing. The bottom half are per-application settings, which you can add to if this works:
    • On the Debugging tab, scroll down to "Force a default GLSL version for shaders that lack an explicit #version line"
    • Type in the box (or drag the slider to) '130'
    • Click close, then try launching the game.
    If this doesn't work you should reset that option (the arrow button on the right) and :cry:.
    If it does work, then reset the global option and add a custom entry for Java:
    • Under "Application Settings" click "Add", then type something sensible in the "Application Name" field (like "Java"), then in the "Executable Name" type 'java' (without quotes).
    • Click OK, then select it from the drop down list.
    • Click the "Add setting" drop down, then choose "Debugging>Force a default GLSL version for shaders that lack an explicit #version line"
    • Type in the box (or drag the slider to) '130'.
    • Click close, then try launching the game.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Thank you for this. i will try it.

I actually did a workaround of my own. I tried on a wism, just like that, just to se if why not. I copied the file "shadowcube.vsh" from a prvious versin of Starmade and pasted it in replacement of the latest.

I'm currently playing...

I still don't have any view of character entities (appart from there radar icon) and don't see 3/4 of any entity (ship or station) while on normal lighting (as opposed to faster lighting) but thats another matter; or maybe your workaround will solve this also.

normal lighting

Faster lighting

Reaction score
    I had this same error. I followed NNTMESc's instructions regarding installing driconf and configuration. I can get into the game again.

Playing on Linux (U16.04).

Reaction score
    Hi ! I have found I way to fix this bug.
    Open /data/shader/cube/quads13/shadowcube.fsh, then replace #version 120 by #version 130.
    Open /data/shader/cube/quads13/shadowcube.vsh, then remove 5 first lines (just atfer #ENDIF) and insert in top #version 130.

This fix have a big chance to be erased when updating/repairing the game (don't be surprised if you need to do this oftenly), them files can be edited when developers want and in same time outdate them instructions (I wish to fix this bug on Linux, I have wrote this in v0.199.654a), if this append and the game bug don't use a copy of fixed files, open and delete all #version 120 and in the top add #version 130, this will prevent from bugs.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This fix have a big chance to be erased when updating/repairing the game (don't be surprised if you need to do this oftenly), them files can be edited when developers want and in same time outdate them instructions (I wish to fix this bug on Linux, I have wrote this in v0.199.654a), if this append and the game bug don't use a copy of fixed files, open and delete all #version 120 and in the top add #version 130, this will prevent from bugs.
    I have a little trouble reading your post but rather then complain about it like so many often do. I will try and help you out by rewriting your post. All ratings should go to MiniApp post above mine as he figured this out.

In yourstarmadefolder/data/shader/cube/quads13/shadowcube.Fsh

Replace the first line in the file that reads #version 120 with #version 130

In yourstarmadefolder/data/shader/cube/quads13/shadowcube.Vsh

Remove line 1 and line 3 to 5

#IFDEF force130
    #version 130
    #ELSE
    #version 120
    #ENDIF

It should then read like this:

#version 130

#IFDEF force130
    //no extension needed for using version 130
    #ELSEIF shader4
    #extension GL_EXT_gpu_shader4: enable
    #ENDIF

#IFDEF INTATT
    attribute ivec4 ivert;
    #ENDIF

etc etc.

These files might get changed or edited by Schema when he releases a new update of StarMade. As such you should not copy your patched files over to the new update of StarMade. Apply this patch again to these files yourself after every update of the game!

I hope my translation like this is correct. If not then please comment and I will edit this post. I do not use Linux so I can not test it out my self.

Well done to MiniApp for finding this fix.

Reactions: Vvolodymyr