On the Subject of Planets

Reaction score
    I think every Starmade player has at least one problem with the current planets, be that that they cause too much lag, are ugly, or any other obscure reason. Obviously they are a major WIP, just like many other features in the game, which is why I am making this suggestion.

I recently tried a pre-alpha game called "Seed of Andromeda", which is more or less trying to recreate the Minecraft experience on a circular planet. I think the system employed in this game could solve several of the problems of Starmade planets if a similar system were adopted.

The planets in this game are FULL SCALE, meaning that they are often in excess of 10,000 kilometers in diameter. The only way this is accomplished in a voxel game is to not have the whole thing loaded at once (obviously). However, the key feature here is that the parts that are not drawn by voxels, but instead by 3D mapping (I think that is the proper term) See attached pic for what I mean

I think a system like this could be used to make Starmade planets a viable location again. Perhaps we may even be able to have 1km diameter or more planets. 0.1.4_pic.png

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Not a bad idea. Anyway, I don't think honestly that it looks nice :(

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    And how would this be implemented in starmade? while I can see at high altitude the mapping thing might be useful, at lower distances you still have the same problems. Not loading the other segments of a planet if you aren't looking at them is obviously something that should be added.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe we should implement MC's way?
    Just render nearest chunks. And let rest to be unloaded (add some fog eventually).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe we should implement MC's way?
    Just render nearest chunks. And let rest to be unloaded (add some fog eventually).
    MC's way works pretty well since blocks are pretty evenly distributed. With SM the density of blocks can vary greatly. Though some way of obscuring planets may be nice.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Instance planet thread #23,236,237

but seriously. unless there was a way to do this that doesn't require a loading screen then i don't see why not. cuz if it does then schema will just kill the idea

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    there is just one good reason why not,it would kill the economy in the future,that big planets would have sooooo many ores and materials,and with infinite planets in the universe,that is even worse.
    i like it how they are right now

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    there is just one good reason why not,it would kill the economy in the future,that big planets would have sooooo many ores and materials,and with infinite planets in the universe,that is even worse.
    i like it how they are right now
    Depends. If certain types of ores would exist only in certain types of planets then it would be possible to make planets valueable anyway.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I honestly hate the current system, for one reason or another.

If the system linked by OP could be implemented in Starmade, maybe on a slightly smaller scale, that would be pretty cool. That way, we could see terrain from orbit without it crashing our systems.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Then just disable mining from everything but the surface with slavage beams.
    Call it atmospheric influence on salvage beams or whatever.

(It could regenerate from deeper chunks)...

Each chunk can have a 8-bit storage if it is see-through in direction +X/-X, +Y/-Y +Z/-Z and if it is see through at all. 2 bit for x/y/z/all = 4 levels of density.
    (( To determinate which chunks are loaded. ))

Reaction score
    Killing off planets is not going to happen, to those who say that. WTF are you talking about...

Anyway, another Instance planet thread? Damnnit. There must be something Skooms can do (other than instance planets) to fix planets. Right now I hate the current planets, but in my opinion Instance is not the way to go. All the new planets need is for more efficient loading and for the corners to be fixed.

Right now, I think we should go back to cookie planets. Yes I know that they're a step back but c'mon the current planets are useless! I don't think they even have the new crystals! They are slow to load yet impossibly small and glitchy.

(Although going back to cookie planets might not be possible, because there is an implication of gas giants being added at some point.)

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Killing off planets is not going to happen, to those who say that. WTF are you talking about...

Anyway, another Instance planet thread? Damnnit. There must be something Skooms can do (other than instance planets) to fix planets. Right now I hate the current planets, but in my opinion Instance is not the way to go. All the new planets need is for more efficient loading and for the corners to be fixed.

Right now, I think we should go back to cookie planets. Yes I know that they're a step back but c'mon the current planets are useless! I don't think they even have the new crystals! They are slow to load yet impossibly small and glitchy.

(Although going back to cookie planets might not be possible, because there is an implication of gas giants being added at some point.)
    there is no disagree anymore,so this will do

Reaction score
    They appear to have done something amazing: The 'blocks' get bigger when you are further away, resulting in way less lag. Cool!
    I especially like this idea. It gradually moves from a smooth round surface to a more Minecraft block shape. The transition looks believable and smooth, instead of moving instantly from 'ball' to 'blocks' like our current system. I'm giving you a like my fuzzy fluffy and huggable friend and I hope others do too so there is a passive chance the devs might see.

I also like how this can be done, this way we could still have spaceships glassing/landing on planets! And not only that, but now planets can be interesting to explore and build on instead of 'meh'. You could even add cool stuff like mountains, caves and chasms!

...Can someone who is popular send this off to the blokes? I really like it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ah. Where is @NeonSturm when you need him. Also, it would be nice if an actual schine member to comment on whether or not it is a good idea and why.

One problem that might occur is inaccuracy of weapons, so maybe not.
    But keep them the way they are! Sure, round planets are cool, but there is nothing like a good segment jumping to make your day.