occlusion culling,performance and planets in general, questions.

Reaction score
    so basically my questions are in regards to occlusion culling, and its effect on performance. because iv been getting slightly mixed and unintuitive results.

basically since the introduction of occlusion culling a few updates ago, iv noticed an increase in general performance, with the exception of planets. with occlusion culling i actually get a horrible decrease in performance when looking at a planet. if i turn it off i get much better performance, altho it is still very laggy, in fact im almost certain that planets in the last few updates have been performing worse then when i first started playing around july of this year.

iv been using the same planet sizes the entire time (250 with a varience of 150) and i used to be able to visit and mine them jsut fine. but lately have been getting worse and worse performance with them. as is right now i get about 15 FPS when looking at a planet with occlusion culling, VS 30 or so with it off. i have a very decnt system and it used to be able to handle them just fine.

i realize planets aren't finished yet and will most probably be getting more performance optimizations in the future. but while they now seem to loading faster (and the fact they dont saved to the HD unless modified is freakin awesome) but i am still unable to really play with them due to the performance when looking at them. if my system cant handle them, then a lesser system would probably explode! (unless its an issue with AMD cards, as i know they can be "sensitive" at times)

so im wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference in performance with planets over the last few months. and especially with and without occlusion culling. and if you have very bad performance with them, could you post your specs?

my specs:
    i7 3770 quad core
    8GB ramm
    AMD R9 270 2GB

Edit to add: while were on the subject, now that iv been doing a bit more testing, with a large ship loaded (tested with skylord lukes project infinity 99) my performance with it seems to be the same with or without occlusion culling. i get about 20 -40 FPS when ever i look at the ship and it shoots upto 350 - 400 when im not looking at the ship. this is with both occlusion culling on and off. it seems to be only planets that give me a very noticeable performance difference.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    @OdraNoel I have experienced the same issue, I have been assured that OC should improve performance but each turn I switch it on I see my frame rate half and worse if I am near a planet.

I'd be interested in see what others have experienced.