NVIDIA Driver 378.49 (released jan. 24 2017) may cause crash on startup

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    To all NVIDIA card users that updated their driver to version 378.49 released on Jan. 24: Unfortunately, this update breaks some basic OpenGL functions. There is currently nothing we can do but wait for NVIDIA to fix the issues. Other games (e.g. Minecraft) are affected as well.

Drivers can be found here: NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search
    OR
    Driver Rollback | NVIDIA to rollback without download.

EDIT:

NVIDIA have been too slow to push out a fix, so we've had to come up with our own.

We've managed to circumvent the issue by calling javaw.exe directly, we've modified the new launcher to do this. Since we prepackage Java with our latest launcher, we were able to avoid NVIDIA's driver issues altogether.

This fix only works with our new launcher (default Steam launcher and beta download launcher on star-made.org). Using our old (Java) launcher will still encounter the issue, you will need to either switch to our new launcher or rollback your NVIDIA driver.

You can download our new launcher here (if you already have it, it would have auto-updated)

New launcher is available with the "download new launcher" button.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This is why I let drivers mature for at least a week before Installing hahaha

Never be the first line of releases for ANYTHING- Drivers, OS's, Games...

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Except for some dev builds; those are good sometimes.

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Woot my laziness of not updating drivers has paid off.

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    Good thing i never update my drivers then

Im not joking

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Nvidia or AMD: Who makes the best budget graphics card?

I've got clients still using 5000 series Radeons and playing recent games with acceptable framerates. Just ask RandomGamingInHD, GreenHamGaming or LowSpecGamer on YouTube. Inexpensive doesn't mean shit-tier. Anyone else remember the GTX 970?
    I have a 970! :LOL:

AMD's getting back up there in terms of quality and what I like in a graphics card, and I can't wait to see what comes up to make NVIDIA have to drop prices again :)

Reactions: MossyStone48
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Other games (e.g. Minecraft) are affected as well.

MC is working fine for me and my group, perhaps we should look into this?
    [doublepost=1485470007,1485469798][/doublepost]

Nvidia has indeed screwed up, considering this update was pushed to the masses, this is why beta drivers exist!

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    MC is working fine for me and my group, perhaps we should look into this?
    Mojang had found the issue before we did, NVIDIA will know what needs to be fixed from their reports. We see other developers also reporting the issue, we'll look into their reports to see if we need to file one as well.

You can see the reddit post here:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Mojang had found the issue before we did, NVIDIA will know what needs to be fixed from their reports. We see other developers also reporting the issue, we'll look into their reports to see if we need to file one as well.

You can see the reddit post here:
    I see, perhaps I am lucky, as that is a stock version of the game. A modded minecraft would have a debug screen which would show things like MC forge, optifine, etc. For now, I have rolled back, and I believe the game is working. Lets hope nvidia fixes this soon.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    To all NVIDIA card users that updated their driver to version 378.49 released on Jan. 24: Unfortunately, this update breaks some basic OpenGL functions. There is currently nothing we can do but wait for NVIDIA to fix the issues. Other games (e.g. Minecraft) are affected as well.

Drivers can be found here: NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search
    OR
    Driver Rollback | NVIDIA to rollback without download.
    I run a Macbook pro which has an NVIDIA Geforce 9400M 256 MB card in it. If I use the Java launcher it launches the game and is stable. If I use the regular launcher it crashes at 49%. Is this the same issue listed here? I only ask because I can't seem to find driver support at NVIDIA for apple Geforce drivers.