NPC Factions

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hello,
    i have rent a Nitrado Starmade Server, the problem is the NPC-Factions dosnt work.
    i tries to replace the world database and the data folder from my local- it dosnt work.
    in the npcspawnconfig is the spawn on random.

Thanks for help.

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    So do the npc factions not spawn at all or are they doing nothing?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i have rent a Nitrado Starmade Server, the problem is the NPC-Factions dosnt work.
    i tries to replace the world database and the data folder from my local- it dosnt work.
    in the npcspawnconfig is the spawn on random.
    Please provide a little more info. What version of StarMade are you running?

In the server.cfg file check that this setting is set to -1

NPC_FACTION_SPAWN_LIMIT = -1 //Maximum npc factions per galaxy (-1 for unlimited (will still be around 2-10))

You mention the \yourstarmadefolder\data\npcFactions\npcSpawnConfig.xml file. You say all NPC are set to spawn at random. So you changed the default spawn of the Traders. Because they spawn in the 0, 0, 0 system by default.

<NPCConfig>
    <Version>0<!--autocreated--></Version>
    <Config>
    <Faction>
    <RandomSpawn>false<!--Faction will spawn in a random star system--></RandomSpawn>
    <FixedSpawnSystem>0, 0, 0<!--If random spawn is off, set the location. Will switch to random if system is already taken--></FixedSpawnSystem>
    <Name>Traders<!--Name of the faction--></Name>

This is a wise move since a server with the Traders in 0, 0, 0 is bound to fail. However make sure that when you changed the false to true you also removed the 0, 0, 0 coordinates! It should then read like this:

<NPCConfig>
    <Config>
    <Faction>
    <RandomSpawn>true<!--Faction will spawn in a random star system--></RandomSpawn>
    <FixedSpawnSystem><!--If random spawn is off, set the location. Will switch to random if system is already taken--></FixedSpawnSystem>

You may have to start a new map to get the change working.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I use the newerst release version of Starmade (0.199.654a)
    this is already ind default
    NPC_FACTION_SPAWN_LIMIT = -1

<NPCConfig>
    <Config>
    <Faction>
    <RandomSpawn>true<!--Faction will spawn in a random star system--></RandomSpawn>
    <FixedSpawnSystem><!--If random spawn is off, set the location. Will switch to random if system is already taken--></FixedSpawnSystem>
    this i have alredy maked but nothing like NPC factions are coming.

other configs i have not change.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    this i have alredy maked but nothing like NPC factions are coming.

other configs i have not change.
    In the server.cfg check this:

ENABLE_SIMULATION = true //Universe AI simulation

Also this is unrelated but while you are there please change these settings to avoid future trouble with your server:

PROTECT_STARTING_SECTOR = true //Protects the starting sector. Default is no protected sector aka the seal clubbing spawn.

DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_ENEMY_USE = false //Default option for blueprints not in catalog yet. You do not want turret bases as Pirates.

SHOP_USE_STATIC_SELL_BUY_PRICES = true //shop buy and sell price change depending on stock (shop prices will always stay the same if true) With static prices you avoid shop to shop trades people use to get very rich in a short time.

PLANET_SIZE_MEAN = 50.0 //Planet size mean (normal gaussian distribution) (min 50)
    PLANET_SIZE_DEVIATION = 0.0 //Planet size standard deviation. Note: normal gaussian distribution graph scaled horizontally by 1/3 (min 0) Planets kill servers set them as small as possible.

ONLY_ALLOW_FACTION_SHIPS_ADDED_TO_FLEET = true //only allows faction ships to be added to fleet. Anyone can steal anything not factioned when this is set to false. Or add a ship of someone else to a fleet to know where he or she is at all times.

START A NEW MAP TO AVOID ISSUES. Some things will effect existing maps but most only work if you start a new one.

If needed you can respond in German i can read it but have trouble writing it. My response will be in English.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Danke für das anbieten mit deutsch aber ich schreibe weiter Englisch da es die meisten eher verstehen.

now i have look at the server config
    but all options are like that by default

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    now i have look at the server config
    but all options are like that by default
    Okay we tried at this point it should just work so i am at a bit of a loss on what else could possible prevent the NPC from spawning.

The Traders, Outcasts and Scavangers factions are in the factions list H-key ingame?

Try a manual force spawn when you are in the game with this admin command:

/npc_spawn_faction Traders TradingGuild Traders 9

• npc_spawn_faction
      • DESCRIPTION: Spawns a faction on a random position
      • PARAMETERS: name(String), description(String), preset (npc faction config folder name)(String), Initial Growth(Integer)
      • EXAMPLE: /npc_spawn_faction "My NPC Faction" "My Faction's description" "Outcasts" 10
    • npc_spawn_faction_pos_fixed
      • DESCRIPTION: Spawns a faction on a fixed position
      • PARAMETERS: name(String), description(String), preset (npc faction config folder name)(String), Initial Growth(Integer), System X(Integer), System Y(Integer), System Z(Integer)
      • EXAMPLE: /npc_spawn_faction_pos_fixed "My NPC Faction" "My Faction's description" "Outcasts" 10 12 3 22

That is the last option i can give you. If it worked then repeat the command for the outcasts and scavangers.

I would suggest that you reinstall StarMade completly. Keep a backup of the original installation. It is possible some file either got corrupt or has a very silly , or / or something like that set wrong and debugging that is just to much effort.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Then it comes this error
    If you type the command wrong then the server should read back your command not say that there is a Java error.

If you typed it right then it sould say it was succesfull.

Are you using the provided Java that comes with StarMade? In the StarMade Launcher at the top right OPTIONS click the cog wheel.

It should say --using bundled java version--

Please provide the server logs beware to edit out any private parts.

logstarmade.0.log
    serverlog.0.log
    etc

place them all in a .zip and add it to a forum post.

This may need the help from one of the devs though.

I do not have any experience with a Nitrado Starmade Server. Nitrado could also have set it up in a wrong way.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This needs to be looked at by a dev so lets do shout out at Lancake or AndyP maybe they can help.

Something I noticed: useAuth: false; requireAuth: false

Make sure you run the server WITH authentication!

server.cfg

USE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION = true //allow star-made.org authentication
    REQUIRE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION = true //require star-made.org authentication (USE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION must be true)

Also when ingame do /add_admin GermanGameMiner to make sure you and you alone have admin rights! Do not make a type mistake when you do this one! :eek:

/list_admins will show you who has admin rights if no name is listed then EVERYONE has admin rights!

Dinner is ready back in an hour.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Been looking a bit more at the logs logstarmade.0.log and it talks about not finding the various NPC npcConfig.xml files.

[2018-01-11 11:59:50] [SERVER][NPC] importing default preset: ./data/npcFactions/Scavengers/ -> ./server-database/world//npcFactions/Scavengers/
    [2018-01-11 11:59:50] [IO][COPY] FILE FROM /mnt/StarMade/./data/npcFactions/Scavengers/npcConfig.xml to /mnt/StarMade/./server-database/world/npcFactions/Scavengers/npcConfig.xml
    [2018-01-11 11:59:50] java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./server-database/world/npcFactions/Scavengers/npcConfig.xml (No such file or directory)

Same for the Traders:

[2018-01-11 11:59:50] java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./server-database/world/npcFactions/Trading Guild/npcConfig.xml (No such file or directory)

and the outcasts:

[2018-01-11 11:59:50] java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./server-database/world/npcFactions/Outcasts/npcConfig.xml (No such file or directory)

It complains again about not having a config. It does find the NPC blueprints but not the config:

[2018-01-11 11:59:50] Exception: could not import NPC faction preset /mnt/StarMade/./data/npcFactions/Outcasts; hasBlueprints: true; hasConfig: false

[2018-01-11 12:28:03] java.lang.Exception: [ERROR] Exception: No NPC Faction Preset found for Traders; But should be: Trading Guild; Picking random one from existing

[2018-01-11 12:28:03] java.lang.Exception: [ERROR] Exception: No NPC Faction Preset found for Outcasts; But should be: Outcasts; Picking random one from existing

[2018-01-11 12:28:03] java.lang.Exception: [ERROR] Exception: No NPC Faction Preset found for Scavengers; But should be: Scavengers; Picking random one from existing

Check on the server if the npcConfig.xml file exists in all three NPC factions folders. data\npcFactions\Traders\npcConfig.xml etc.

/server-database/world/npcFactions/Scavengers/npcConfig.xml etc.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    its probably this then ⚓ T2108 NPC Assets fail to copy into world
    no clue why it happens so far afaik. not every linux setup is affected
    you have to create those required files by your self
    i think a fix is mentioned here Is the new Faction/fleet stuff broken on Linux?
    That looks a lot like it. Probably something to do with file permissions preventing the copy. There could be a difference between how various Linux setups deal with it. GermanGameMiner hired a server from a third party. They may have some limits on what is possible file wise for security reasons. I to am no expert on Linux. I mostly use Windows 7. But it would not surprise me if something like that were to blame.