Now the thing taking up half my screen stole my ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The notices that I complained about in this thread: What is this blocking half my screen in singleplayer and why do I need to know about it?

were spawned by NPC factions, so I didn't care about deleting them to get rid of them.

But now my own ship that I was working on has disappeared, presumably waiting for... obfuscation... or whatever, like the AI ships were. I have a backup of course, but it's old, and I'd like to recover the work I'd done since I made it.

This happened when I docked a turret to the ship. I accidentally hit 'r' to exit instead of middle clicking on the parent ship, and when I spawned outside of the turret base, the parent entity vanished, along with all the other turrets that were previously docked, but not the one I had just exited.

I saw the ship flicker back into view a couple times right after this happened... so I wonder if it might be possible to recover it somehow?

I've attached what I believe to be the correct logs from the time of the incident.

Attachments

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Did you capture the ship from an NPC faction and not change its name?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Nope, this is a ship I built from scratch myself with creative mode.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    get back in the turret, press "down" on your d-pad. should put you back in the main ship. "/change_sector 1 2 3" and don't be so close to a sector-border with your ship.
    Double check your ship isn't "bigger" in any one dimension than the size of sectors in your server(a 2km ship in a 1km sector= bad ju-ju)

use the normal admin commands to find the ship if it really has disappeared/moved.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Oddly enough, when I tried loading up the game again today, my ship was visible. The error message was still popping up every few seconds though, so I saved an up to date blueprint and deleted it.

The ship is only 90m long so obviously it's not larger than a sector, although I was flying it around a little bit so it's possible I inadvertently parked it on a sector border.

Anyway, lesson learned, from now on I'll build in a shipyard even in single player.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    FYI, the wiki you pointed to is severely outdated.
    You may want to go here instead for more up-to-date information.
    Except your link is missing some commands. Mine might be "outdated" but it at least lists /creative_mode ... might want to load in important commands if starmadepedia is supposed to replace starmadewiki.

Reaction score
    FYI, the wiki you pointed to is severely outdated.
    You may want to go here instead for more up-to-date information.
    Except your link is missing some commands. Mine might be "outdated" but it at least lists /creative_mode ... might want to load in important commands if starmadepedia is supposed to replace starmadewiki.
    To the best of my knowledge, the last truly official list of admin commands from schema himself dates from 2015.
    I have no clue which of those are still valid (though most should be), or have been removed since. I'm pretty certain at least some of the descriptions could use an update
    sector_size
    PARAMETERS: Size [300-5000](Integer) - Is this still valid? Servers seem to be using 20k and more?

daytime
    DESCRIPTION: sets the time of the day in hours - Does it actually do that, or maybe set the duration of the day cycle?
    PARAMETERS: TimeInHours(Integer)

give_metaitem versus give_*_weapon etc. - redundancy or different use, clarification needed
    what does /give_metaitem schema power_supply do vs. /give_power_supply_weapon schema?

That said, that other wiki is really crufty. I don't say there isn't some info there that may still be relevant, but as a general resource it is utterly outdated, and more up-to-date information is better sought and found elsewhere. Let it die, it doesn't help if it is brought up again and again.

EDIT: spoiler-wrapped tangential information

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    To the best of my knowledge, the last truly official list of admin commands from schema himself dates from 2015.
    I have no clue which of those are still valid (though most should be), or have been removed since. I'm pretty certain at least some of the descriptions could use an update, just from the top of my head:

sector_size
    PARAMETERS: Size [300-5000](Integer) - Is this still valid? Servers seem to be using 20k and more?

daytime
    DESCRIPTION: sets the time of the day in hours - Does it actually do that, or maybe set the duration of the day cycle?
    PARAMETERS: TimeInHours(Integer)

give_metaitem versus give_*_weapon etc. - redundancy or different use, clarification needed
    what does /give_metaitem schema power_supply do vs. /give_power_supply_weapon schema?

That said, that other wiki is really crufty. I don't say there isn't some info there that may still be relevant, but as a general resource it is utterly outdated, and more up-to-date information is better sought and found elsewhere. Let it die, it doesn't help if it is brought up again and again.
    That's valid, but I was actually saying you should login, and fix that stuff if you want me to point to it. The button at the top of the page already does, but I use the one I find most useful at any one time. Make it more accurate and useful, and the old one will die because it will stop being "better" on certain pages. :)

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread on the unstable nature of official NPC resources.