Non-turret docked entities should be streamlined

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ever since I started playing Starmade, I have been wanting to build modular ships and ships I can control by docking a shuttle and the shuttle becomes the control center of the entire ship.

With rail-docked entities, I was hoping that would come true, but weird rules have prevented proper connections, like what I'm looking for.

Weird rules like shields dropping on the docked entity after hitting 25-50%. That's fine for keeping turrets balanced and all, but doesn't seem to work for other docked entities. Docked doors and things should get full coverage, and should not resist effect weapons.

Similarly, more things should get shared into a core ship pool. Shield systems should add to the overall ship shield rating, not a sub-entity shield, and should pull energy from the central pool. Additional weapons and FTL systems should be available for placement on the hotbar. If the core entity already had a FTL system, there should be the option to link up the docked FTL system so that it adds to the "mother's" FTL block count, allowing the core system to charge faster... Of course, the player should be able to select which FTL systems to link, because frequently, "mother" ships are built with more than one. The other option being that the docked FTL system can simply be an additional standalone drive that can be added to the hotbar if desired. Docked entity power systems should add to the central pool instead of powering only that level of docked entity and other entities further down the docking tree.

Wouldn't it be fun to build modular systems? Things like giant cannons, engines, reactor pods, cockpits, and wings, and simply link them to the core ship and simply have it all seem like one big ship, instead of a bunch of small ships hooked together? Different weapon pods, similar to shoot-em-up Power-up upgrades?

Streamlined Docking has been requested before, and the suggestions never seem to get enough attention.

Templates are a step in the right direction, but they are limited by the advanced build mode dimension limit, and do not directly address the desired ability to switch out docked systems, or to undock a "shuttle" control ship and fly that alone, and be able to return and re-dock to the larger ship and still control it from the small docked "shuttle".

I just wanted to vent that I can only "pretend" to build modular ships. There are already more than enough suggestions to this effect. Besides, I don't think the devs will ever correct docked entities so that they are truly a part of the host ship. It seems like such an unfortunate oversight that would add so much to the game for me. Based on some of the suggestions to this effect, I can't be alone.

Reactions: faiyde

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    For the record you can increase the dimension limit in the server.cfg

Otherwise you make some good points, however such a system while adding possibilities would also remove a few possibilities currently in the game that only exist due to the ability to have multiple independant systems on the same ship. If this were to be implemented ideally the ability to share systems would be an option.

Reactions: Macharius

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ever since I started playing Starmade, I have been wanting to build modular ships and ships I can control by docking a shuttle and the shuttle becomes the control center of the entire ship.
    I'd love to be able to do this.

Have actual cockpits that you could then load into a fighter in a launch sequence would be amazing.

diremage

Tech Wizard
    Reaction score
    You can do that now but you kind of have to think about it backwards. Dock the cockpit as a turret to the main body, and then the 'pilot' shifts from cockpit awareness to ship awareness.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thank you jayman38 for putting to words about modules. Especially about having docked entity weapons to show up on main toolbar of the ship. A good example is the Klignon BoP wings. Being able to have them move up and down, and have the weapons act as if they were a part of the main entity (targeting) would be great.

Or what if you have doors that open, and then a big gun juts out menacingly before firing. :giggle:

I did think of a creative alternative as the AI can be turned on/off via logic. (wireless to wireless logic and having the AI set to attack on your target). Haven't tried it yet, but just a thought.

Reactions: jayman38