Non-Clear Glass Option for Build Mode

Reaction score
    So I was building my Station and was having troubles building my main part because it consisted of a fully glass dome. My main issue is that I like to have the design sort of "Smooth". Basically it doesn't have any 90° angles . But because the glass is clear and hard to see, it ended up not looking as good as it should have. So I wanted to make the suggestion of an in-game checkbox or option in the advanced build mode that would toggle the glass to a easily distinguishable texture, similar to grey hull but have a symbol on it that specified it as glass.

I looked into previous posts about this and discovered it was something that could be solved by using a different glass texture or building it with a different block and then switching it to glass. Those methods worked, but were definitely not easy to use or setup if you don't have much knowledge of computers or the game itself.

Here's the link to the old post made by Jayman38.
    Recognized by Council - Pseudocolor for glass in buildingmode

I hope this is at least really considered.
    Rectorian.

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I 100% agree with you.

For extra in-game sexyness of your dome, I'll share some secret Timelord Technology with you.

If you place a "non rendering block" (like OPEN doors, or the green or red rails) next to glass/crystal/circuits, it becomes COMPLETELY TANSPARENT (totally invisible) from that one side.

I like to do this for the "scenic" viewing spots on ships and stations, Charged circuits on the "outside" giving a "tinted glass" look, while the inside has full view of the outside unobstructed.

An unrelated, tangental benifit of this is FILLING a room with such non-rendering-blocks also provides a "secure" area where weapons cannot be fired, and cores cannot be spawned.

By reading the previous you retroactively agree to use this technology, and any technologies you spawn from it, for EVIL.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I think a button to make glass opaque would be helpful.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We used to have this in the form of holding down an F-key; it was a little awkward to use but worked. Now the key does the opposite, making all blocks transparent! Bringing back the opaque view in some form would be a great addition to the upcoming new advanced build tools.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Just use a basic hull block (i use pink or yellow) build your structure then replace with your glass.

Reactions: MacThule